Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I finally found time to sit down and introduce myself as a new member to the Windstone Forums. And so, without further ado:

The History of Me
      Once upon a time, there was an 80s generation girl that grew up on a crazy cocktail of My Little Pony cartoons, subtitled Godzilla import movies, and the oddball sci-fi fascination such as Alien or Enemy Mine. By-and-by, she grew into a young woman whom spent more time doodling, daydreaming, and reading fantasy books than pursuits considered normal for her peers, such as sports or video games. And, as time inevitably passed, she aged into me!

Who I Am
      I see myself as an off-kilter cog in the universe of the world, as I have somewhat irregular ideals and beliefs and love intelligent discourse (nothing is more fun that debating differing opinions with other people in a civilized manner). I’m a student of biology and organic things (technology is my greatest foe), having a bachelor’s in biology and am gradually working towards a master’s in animal sciences. I loooooove the natural and supernatural worlds, tending to spend my days in flights of mental fancy or walks in the wild woods. In my spare time I greatly enjoy reading books of many types, though a lot of what I read is considered fantasy or science fiction. Aside from reading, I also devote time to writing my own stories (I think I write well but I’m bad at continuity–too much in too many stories with too little time…ugh!), which is a forever-ongoing process. Learning new things is quite fun and I am presently teaching myself how to do things with food other than consume it or burn it (I’m actually not THAT bad…I can follow a recipe well enough but I need more practice to reach the skill of an impromptu cook!).

Other Miscellany
      –my first Windstone was a Siamese flap cat, purchased at a Medieval Times many…many…years ago
      –my favorite Windstone sculpt is the male griffin
      –my favorite Windstone creatures are griffins and flapcats
      –the dragon sculpt I don’t have but would love to own most is a lap dragon
      –I have a lot of squeaks for Melody, but my most recent idea is a quetzalcoatl sculpt (who wouldn’t want a feathered serpent?)…which I have yet to squeak about >_< Oh! I've spoken with some of you in PMs, but for those that don't know...I'm essentially "rediscovering" Windstones. A few years after I bought my first Windstone, I went through a huge financial crisis coupled with a nasty move, during which I had to cull all of my collecting habits (and had to part with some of my precious figures). I'm ashamed to say that I don't have nearly as many Windstone sculptures as I used to have (though even those were bought in moderation, as a larger percentage of my free budget went to Enchantica figurines). But now that I'm finally on firmer ground, life is looking up and I'm re-immersing myself in the world of fantasy collectibles. I can't even begin to describe how in awe I am of the new sculptures and broad color variations available nowadays, and it makes me depressed to see all the amazing things I've missed out on in the past decade or so. Sad panda, indeed! (I've spent several hours the last few days doing random web searches just to find as many of the test paint creatures that I can, if only to witness their splendor.) I'm excited just to be here and to see what Melody and her team has in store for us in future days! I...think that's enough, for now. I can't think of much else to add anyway... I look forward to interacting with fellow Windstone fanatics like myself, and hope ya'll don't mind my ramblings TOO much. (Although, I myself know best just how much of a run-on sentence I can be!)

etruscan
      Participant

Welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚ It sounds as though you will fit right in with the rest of the slightly-off-kilter gang. (And in case you haven’t heard – Windstones can be really, really addictive! You have been warned …)

Rylorien
        Participant

Warned, and then some!

Even back in my early collecting days, it was sooooo difficult to draw the line…and now there are grab bags? Oy! I’m doomed? >_<

Though, comparatively, I personally believe it's a much 'safer' alternative as an addiction than other things…

JynXx
          Participant

Hope you have much fun and thrill collecting these addictive investment pieces ๐Ÿ˜‰
            and again, a very warm welcome to the Forums!

Oh.. and yes.. consider Grab Bags your Bank’s Doom.. LOL

~JynXx

โ†žโ†žโ‰ชโˆ™ FOREVER SEEKING โ€ขโ†Ÿโ€ข

โ€ข โ–บ By Patricia Smith โ—„ โ€ข
            โ˜™ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
            โœพ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
            โœพ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

โ€ข โ–บ By Melody โ—„ โ€ข
            โ˜™ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
            โ˜™ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
            โ˜™ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

MandBsMom
            Participant

Yes welcome! Etruscan is right, most of us seem to be slightly off the norm, but I think that’s why we flourish here! I was in your position a year ago and I have to say, it’s been a great ride! I have many more pretties to look at and drool over. (Both on the screen, and in my hutch!) and I’ll third the motion about GBs………..

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

twindragonsmum
              Participant

Hey, so welcome to the madhouse! Certainly glad you found us ๐Ÿ™‚ I think all of our collections are constantly evolving, I know mine is, and we’ll certainly enjoy helping you regain yours! So very nice to meet you and again, welcome

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

tdm

Kim
                Blocked

Hello and welcome. It is always nice to have new members introduce themselves on here. It seems like it’s been a while since anyone new has posted but it comes in waves I think but it’s nice to get to know others who post on here. Anyway I grew up in the 80s and 90s as well, (born in 83) so you must be a similar age? I bought my first Windstone peacock fledgling dragon at a gift shop when I was 13 or 14 I think and then I got the young a bit later and then I didn’t get anything else until I discovered this website about 3 years ago. Now I have a couple curio cabinets full of Windstones and I am still not sure how that happened but I blame it on the poads. (The first grab bag I got was a poad, hoping to trade it for a unicorn and then ended up liking poads.) Now I have 34 poads in 4 different sizes and I will be posting pictures of all of them. Then of course I also have shelves filled with dragons, unicorns, pegasus, griffins, pebbles and other pieces in my cabinets. So yeah as others said, these can be addictive, especially the grab bags so save your pennies if you plan to get some as they tend to come out every month or two. (Melody said the foxes would be coming out next week.) That is neat you are into biology and nature and animals, as a lot of us are here too. I think most of us see ourselves as a little different and it’s nice to connect over a shared love of art and collectibles in this fantasy and animal form. So if you are hoping to get one piece anytime soon what would you most want to get that was available now?

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Rylorien
                  Participant

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€

And yes, Kim, we’re fairly close in age (I was born in ’82). I still have the adorable little Siamese flap cat which was my first Windstone (my second piece was a littermate for her, a black flapper) sitting in the one cabinet I have in my room.

I’m glad I’m not the only looney toony here who’s crazy about grab bags. I already dread just how badly the addiction is gonna bite me in the behind! Meep! Looking back at all of the class photos, it’s daunting just to see how diverse the pieces are…I’m really excited and can’t wait!

If I had to pick *one* piece I most wanted that’s currently available…
                    (the silly side of me of course wants to jump up and down like a child and say ALL OF THEM!!!)
                    …that would MOST likely be the red panda flap cat. I absolutely love the blue morpho dragons too (I’d lean toward the lap dragon or maybe coiled mother since I don’t have any of the “new” dragon sculpts). However, I had a physical, visceral reaction to the red panda flapper (the morphos are more of an ‘omg so beautiful! squeeeeee!’ moment). With the flapper, it was an immediate craving (I daresay lust) that bit into my gut. And I keep himming and hawing between to-get-it-or-not. I’m…somewhat extremely…susceptible to impulse buying so I keep a tight leash on myself, and that baby is gnawing at the restraints. >_<

(I had a similar reaction to the african wild dog grand unicorn test paint; then I saw that it WAS a test paint one-of-a-kind item and went outside and howled my dismay…)

Siiiiigh.

StormDancer
                    Participant

Just a quick welcome to the forums. Everyone here is always great and very supportive.

And yes, I started out with no intention to get anything but a few of the Rainbow Dragons I didn’t have.

~Looks around at the Poads, Koi-Rin, AWD Bat Eared Foxes, Tanuki’s and The Other colored Dragons and sculpts that have ermmm… somehow… mysteriously… just appeared (yes… I’m gonna stick with appeared, lol) on my shelves.

Wishing you all the best in your new addiction.

~Wanders off to try to eat one .. yes just ONE potato chip….

Looking for:
                      "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Falcolf
                      Participant

Welcome to the best place on the internet! ๐Ÿ˜€ This place honestly rocks.

I have a theory that the moment you join this place that Windstones just begin to accumulate magically or something. When I first joined, I had none, now, three years later, I somehow have eleven. They just kind of ooze their way in! XD

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Bodine
                        Participant

Hello and welcome.I hope you have lots of fun,make some new,good friends and it goes without saying that since you have come here now,as far as collecting is concerned,you are doooooomed! ๐Ÿ˜€

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                          Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

dragonmedley
                          Participant

I have a theory that the moment you join this place that Windstones just begin to accumulate magically or something.

They multiply when you’re not looking…

Welcome!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

jmoore
                            Participant

Welcome! Yes, they do have a tendency to multiply…. I foolishly thought I could limit my collection to just one shelf in the curio…. I’m up to three shelves and a corner of the desk….

Tashya
                              Participant

I was reading your welcome intro and I swear, it could have been mine! From the love of the natural and supernatural world, to the walks in the forests, to the love of reading and the flights of fancy, to intelligent discourse, to the re-discovering of Windstones. I’m in the middle of typing my own intro (I type them elsewhere and cut & paste so that my possessed iPad can’t delete it) but I realized I was rambling, as usual, and I wanted to see what other newbies or non-newbies were writing. That way I’d know if my intro was going to be way too long. Praise be to the deity of your choice bc I think I’ll fit right in!

So welcome welcome welcome, from a new forum member who hasn’t yet submitted her own intro “bio.”
                                ๐Ÿ™‚
                                -Kat

Prezaurian
                                Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ A quick welcome and wishes for enjoyable discourse!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.