fbpx

my first PYO gryphon (new pics nov 28)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone my first PYO gryphon (new pics nov 28)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 339 total)
  • Author

Heyla! I feel very silly because i bought my PYO back in the summer and only now am i getting around to painting it heh heh

So here’s my progress shot after about two painting sessions, probably about 6 hours total

I’m going for the coloration of my Sunhawk self, i believe some people call that their fursona? Anyway, i want the colouration to be like a sunbeam and near the end i hope to add some subtle interference so that you also get an impression of light coming through a prism ^_^

I’ve been taking progress pics almost out of fear because i sometimes worry that at the end of a session, i’ll look at it and go “CRAP CRAP CRAP! ARG RUINED!!” LOL So far so good! This is one of the soft-feather gryphons, i’m really interested to paint one of the sharper feathered ones after this. The first coat i did was of just yellow as a base coat/wash and i was amazed by all the detail as i let my brush act like tiny fingers for me, feeling all the surfaces and textures. I am superimpressed by the level of realism on a level that’s very different from just the visual, oh i am not worthy!! LOL

Been a few minute mistakes that i’ve had to fix, such as accidently getting newspaper ink on certain parts as i tried to move the gryphon around to get at hard to reach areas – beware loose inks on your tabletop! >_< Here i was trying to not make a mess! LOL

Anyway, i thought i’d post a few progress shots so that i can keep motivated to finish the piece ^_^ I’m using entirely acrylic because i have a fairly large selection of Golden and other brands from my time at uni taking painting classes heh heh ^_^ After i took these pics, my next session dealt with adding details and picking out specific feathers more, deepening the orange on the back towards Cadmium Red mixed with a bit of Raw Sienna to keep it from being a bit too garish πŸ˜€

lamortefille
    Participant

Wow, he’s bright! Naturally, I love it so far. I can’t wait to see where you take it from here πŸ˜€

He would match perfect in my office. Of course if you went in there he would be hard to find. I like it so far, can’t wait for more pics.

Maria
      Participant

I like the brightness. It stands out from the natural colorings of birds and cats. How much more work until he’s done?

lamortefille wrote:

Wow, he’s bright! Naturally, I love it so far. I can’t wait to see where you take it from here πŸ˜€

heh heh another brightness fan eh? Thanks! πŸ˜€

dragonessjade wrote:

He would match perfect in my office. Of course if you went in there he would be hard to find. I like it so far, can’t wait for more pics.

Your office is bright yellow? That’s fantastic! LOL Thank you πŸ˜€

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I like the brightness. It stands out from the natural colorings of birds and cats. How much more work until he’s done?

Thank you πŸ˜€ I almost made him into a red-tailed hawk colouration but then i went “screw it, bright colours all the way!” LOL

Hmmmmmm, the next session i’ll probably do a few more touch ups and then start doing the thin layers of interference i have in mind and then i’ll decide whether to mask the eyes and use a gloss spray on him or whether to use glossy gel medium with a bit of self-leveling gel to eliminate the brushstrokes. So two more sessions probably? Another 4-6 hours?

sunhawk wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Yes it is. I need sunglasses to go in there, but it makes me smile.

Arlla
        Participant

It’s going to be beautiful!! I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!
          Somebody needs to bust out with a bright yellow griff, tho – one that will stay all yellow, I mean! Not enough sunny yellow griffs! ^_^

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
          -J R R Tolkien

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

He looks like a canary =) I can’t wait to see it completed!

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Patricia
            Participant

I think he looks gorgous. I really love the yellow!

Arlla, want to see my first griff? I showed pics of it on the LJ but never worked up the courage to share here. Chessie said it looked like a Palomino griffen.

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

dragonessjade wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Yes it is. I need sunglasses to go in there, but it makes me smile.

It would be making you smile, being surrounded by that much yellow! LOL

Arlla wrote:

It’s going to be beautiful!! I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!
              Somebody needs to bust out with a bright yellow griff, tho – one that will stay all yellow, I mean! Not enough sunny yellow griffs! ^_^

Thank you! ^_^

I was almost tempted to leave him just shades of yellow but I had to try my hand at different colours, i need colour, the more colours the better! LOL

drag0nfeathers wrote:

He looks like a canary =) I can’t wait to see it completed!

LOL that was my thought too! Thanks! ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 339 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.