My First PYO Attempts- Opinions? Advice?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone My First PYO Attempts- Opinions? Advice?

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aphelia
    Participant

These are my first two paint-your-own pieces, so I’m curious to know what people think of them.

#1 “Frost Melon” I painted this one a few days ago, her colors are personal favorites that I tried to put together at least somewhat coherently. The name is because she reminds me of a cantaloupe in a snowbank.

#2 “Caustic Shadow” Painted this guy yesterday, decided to use some metallic paints on him… which may be why the photos didn’t turn out as well as on the first one. I’ll figure this out at some point.

And then I took some pics of the two together:

I made individual galleries for them, if you would like to see a few other angles.

Anyways, these be my attempts thus far. Definitely planning to do more in the future- if you have any suggestions on themes, I’m certainly open to hearing them.

Kim
      Blocked

I like the colours on your first one as I am into pink and light coloured dragons!  It’s very pretty!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Both are very nice – especially for being your first PYOs. Really nice job! I tend to like darker rather than pastel/light colors, so I like Caustic Shadow better. But that’s just my preference. The Metallic colors (which I love using too) are done beautifully. I like the way you did your color transitions with them. The black eye is interesting and I believe it does add to the design – I was thinking of doing a PYO Dragon using black eyes and a snake design.
          I think the simpler designs on both your dragons is very appealing. Sometimes simple can be quite striking.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Zeppard Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

StormDancer
          Participant

I think you did a great job 0n them both. I do prefer Frost Melon between the two. Can’t wait to see what you do next!

Looking for:
            "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Bodine
            Participant

Good job and just starting.Bravo! I like the black one.Nice colors.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Suzanne-Marie
              Participant

Hi Aphelia🌺,
                Both of your dragons are so pretty!!
                Would not have known it was a first attempt at painting!!
                Fantastic job!!
                Kudos💐!!

Aphelia
                Participant

Thanks so much, all of you! <3 I’m really glad people like them.

I’m thinking that the next one should maybe be fruit/food themed again? Something akin to an apricot sounds like fun. Or perhaps red velvet cake…

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

Red Velvet Cake sounds Delicious! YUUUMMMMMMM!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                    Zeppard Adult Poads
                    Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                    *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Rylorien
                    Participant

For first-time PYOs those are nicely done! Frost Melon has a nice balance between the green, the peach, and the white hues. Caustic Shadow is interesting; you blended the colors wells and I really like the shapes you made on his face.

I think my one critique would be that I really like the red you have at the base of his white toe claws (kind of reminds me of acid eating at bone) but you didn’t also do the same to the hand claws or his horns. It would have been an interesting effect. But that’s just my opinion. 🙂

As for advice…it’s rather obvious, but paint what inspires you and don’t be discouraged if it’s doesn’t match what you see in your mind’s eyes. *Most* of my pieces start out with one idea and morph as the painting process goes on. You just have to have fun with it.

Aphelia
                      Participant

I was considering doing something like that with the upper claws, and almost did it, but then got distracted by a cat knocking over something in another room. I guess I forgot to add the extra gradients on the claws before painting the rest. Was just looking at the little fella, and wondering why I only put green there, while each other section has all three metallic colors, lol.   I’ll do the alterations on him soon, then post an updated pic or two.

So, thanks again everybody for your comments, and thanks Rylorien for helping me notice that detail. 🙂

Oh, before I go… the next one is definitely gonna be red velvet-themed, and if I can get one of the bigger fellas.. I have a fun purple idea in mind too.

Aphelia
                        Participant

And here is the updated “Caustic Shadow.” I didn’t change all that much, but I do think it improves his look.

I didn’t put the metallics on the horns as well, because I already put a few red-focused sections pretty close to them.

Bodine
                          Participant

Niiice.

Rylorian, don’t you know it.I have many beautiful paint jobs in my mind’s eye but then…..😵

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.