fbpx

My first dragon

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone My first dragon

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

He’s beautiful!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lokie
      Participant

He’s very nice! I’m so glad you had a fun time painting him- can’t wait to see his cousins.

Barrdwing wrote:

I am a very slow painter. πŸ™„

Your not the only one! πŸ˜›

Purplecat
        Participant

I really like the colors on that one! An awesome job! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Great job πŸ™‚ awesome first dragon. Can’t wait to see your next one.
          I, too, am following the Koishii tutorial, but this’ll be my 4th dragon, and it’s still not done…

Heather
          Participant

Wow . . . this is quite a reception! 😳 πŸ˜€ I am really happy that folks like this little guy! But still, some of the credit has to go to Koishii’s tutorial. πŸ™‚ I could never have gotten past the trouble spots without its help. (And peering over her shoulder while she painted, too.)

PhoenixTears wrote:

And teach me how you learned so well to do blending on smooth scales (unless you have an airbrush which I dont)!

Ah! That is the result of thin paint and about fifty gazillion layers. I started with the staining like the tutorial shows, then started applying thin layers of Golden paints diluted with water–not too thin, with enough paint that it acted almost like stain. The thin layers allowed the colors to blend better, and I learned to deliberately overlap them at the edges. When the base colors were strong enough, I went to metallics and did the same thing.

Some of the metallics changed the base color too much, and I had to glaze thinned base color back over them. Same problem occurred with some of the interference, with the same solution. Since I was thinning with water, having multiple layers didn’t fill in the carving details. (I do worry a bit that the paint will break down someday, though. I’m going to watch this little guy very closely.)

Jodi
            Participant

Very nice! πŸ˜€

OOOH! very nice, can’t believe that’s your first!! I really have to do one, but I’m completely broke right now!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.