Maybe Better Times Coming

Home Forums Miscellany Happy Thoughts Maybe Better Times Coming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

LadyFirebird
      Participant

A friend of mine just called me tonight. Her daughter-in-law owns a bird store and she manages it. Small operation and they only deal with birds. Well the economy like it is, not too many people are going to plunk down hard earned cash for a bird (she sells exotics and her birds run from $140 to $1500 depending on what type of bird). She also sells the cages, food, toys and most of the stuff you’d buy for a bird. There were weeks when they would only make $85 for the day and of course, their rent isn’t cheap.

Well they got some new birds in Thrusday and I was there. Tonight she called to say that 3 of them have sold–three birds that were worth about $1,000 a piece. She is stoked because since having a website, they are seeing their customer base increase and she was happy to report that they made over $7,000 this weekend! It made me happy because I’m beginning to think there might be an end to this economic slump we’re in. I’ve been cut back to working three days a week but will get some supplement from the Unemployment Office for those two missed days. It’s not much but it certainly helps.

So now I have some high hopes that everything will be fine. If a little bird store is starting to see an increase in their business, then I’m hoping my employer will start to see an increase in his. I enjoy four day weekends but I enjoy a full paycheck even more. Just think if I could work and get paid for a full 40 hours a week! Credit card balances would soon disappear and I’ll be able to snatch some things off the ebay even! Oh yes, there will definitely be an increase in my Windstone collection! And maybe, just maybe these good times are just around the corner. We can only hope. And…all of you, please help me and others hope! πŸ˜€

That’s wondeful news and I hope it’s true!
        I always consider myself blessed to even HAVE a job!

lamortefille
        Participant

That makes two of us D4L! πŸ˜€

Christine
          Participant

I like your optimism LF! It’s great to hear some good news for a change!

Does anyone else have any anecdotes like this to raise our spirits a bit? πŸ˜†

I’m trying to think of what I’ve seen in San Diego…well, it’s still summer and the summer breakers are out in force just like any other financially good year. Which for me, isn’t the greatest of news since my town is one of the Party Central Zones and I get tired of that college tourist crowd FAST! But they keep our local bars full and the boogeyboards and flip flops flying off the shelves. And Comic-Con saw RECORD attendance this year!

purpledragonclaw
            Participant

Comic Con was held in San Diego this year?

Pegasi1978
              Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

The original “Comic Con” is has been held in San Diego every year its founding in 1970.

There is also a New York Comic Con, a London Film and Comic Con and a Emerald City ComiCon all of which are not affiliated with each other.

Awesome! Congrats LadyFirebird! My mother owns over $5,000 in feathered friends. She has 2 Timneh Greys, 2 Green Cheek Conures, 1 love bird (Taco the other male just passed on), 10 cockatiels, 1 Quaker parakeet, 2 grass parakeets, and some green and orange and black type of parrot I don’t know the name of. I’d love to have a female Eclectus…I keep trying to talk her into one of those! Most of these birds came from homes that people jsut didn’t want them anymore. 4 are babies her Cockatiels had. She has alot of birds…And she has COPD, which messes with her every time she cleans all those cages, but she keeps hanging on. πŸ™‚ The greys are in the terrible 2’s stage though. Ugh! :shout:

purpledragonclaw
                Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

purpledragonclaw wrote:

The original “Comic Con” is has been held in San Diego every year its founding in 1970.

There is also a New York Comic Con, a London Film and Comic Con and a Emerald City ComiCon all of which are not affiliated with each other.

Thank you Pegasi. I did not know there was more than one Comic Con, and I had no idea it was in San Diego. Now that I think about it, most conventions are held in the same place each year.

I watched a special on HBO recently talking about the Comic-Cons in New York and California. They were talking about comic book superheros and the movies made about them (Marvel and DC comics in particular).
                  Some of the producers/directors were actually saddened by the fact that it is really no longer the “Nerd convention” it used to be. (Hey, I was using their words! I have read many a comic book in my time! I loved Batman and the X-Men!) They said it is actually more of a sales event of popular companies and promotional event for new movies than it was years ago. I have never been, but would love to. There is one upside to the propaganda and sales thing though…The fans can actually meet some of their favorite stars! They also explained why Christopher Reeves was Superman…It was only an hour long, but it was really worth watching! πŸ˜€

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Disney does with Marvel now that they’ve acquired them.

Rusti
                    Participant

I work weekends at Penney’s and I will say that over the past month or so (Back to School) I have seen the store more trashed then I have in the past year and a half or so. That generally means we have plenty of people in looking and more than likely buying. I haven’t asked managers about sales goals lately, but we have more staff and more hours to go around now. Our weekly shipments are moving into peak for the Christmas season. Which is about three to four trucks a week, with 25-30 pallets to break down (not including hanging things) on each truck. And I don’t see a ton of stuff in the stockroom, so it’s on the floor, and it’s going somewhere.

Things are picking up a little at the paper too. There were more ads to do today for tomorrow’s paper than there have been. It could just be the looming Christmas season, but I will agree that, ever so slowly, things might be starting to look up again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.