fbpx

Mark Twain

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Last night we were at a friend’s house and got to chatting about Mark Twain. He’s one of my dad’s favorite writers, we have a huge anthology of a billion of his short stories and several novels… but my problem in reading it is that I can’t decide where to start. So I was wondering–who’s got a favorite Twain short story? So far I love, what’s it called… is it This Awful German Language? The one about German, anyhow. I was laughing my arse off at that, because it just strikes right to the heart of things.

Anywho, I know there are a ton of his lesser-known writings, and I was wondering if anyone knew about the better ones and could recommend them to me. Everyone’s read Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, but there are so many other stories that don’t get nearly as much attention despite being equivalently good.

Starbreeze
    Participant

I personally like A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court. 🙂

NirvanaCat13
      Participant

That’s a toughie…I haven’t read Twain for 10 years now….There is a pretty cool clamation film about him tho….Well, it’s mostly kind of corny, but it remains one of my more memorable films from when I was little :mrgreen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088678/

Maria
        Participant

You can’t ask for favorites from Mark Twain! On the Decay of the Art of Lying is hilarious…

Greater Basilisk wrote:

You can’t ask for favorites from Mark Twain! On the Decay of the Art of Lying is hilarious…

I’m not asking for favorites so much as a place to start, hehe.

Maria
          Participant

Have you found a place to start? The Awful German Language is great too – but it’s even funnier if you know a little German. I wish Twain had written something on Swiss German.

Melody
            Keymaster

“Letters from Earth”

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Have you found a place to start? The Awful German Language is great too – but it’s even funnier if you know a little German. I wish Twain had written something on Swiss German.

Hah! I’ve heard tales of Swiss German, I bet he would’ve had a hay day.

Maria
              Participant

😆 It’s the coolest language ever. I wonder he didn’t write about it. He stayed in Luzern. He’d have heard it spoken.

I haven’t read Twain since I was in jr high.

Heather
                Participant

I ran across a book called “Mark Twain on the Damned Human Race” which, despite its title, is mostly funny. Apparently it’s a collection of writings that Twain considered too controversial and intended to have published several years after his death. There’ve been at least three versions printed, each one omitting certain articles that were delicate topics at the time. Some of the topics cut pretty close to the bone regarding human nature, and are funny. But Twain also makes some very cutting remarks on world affairs of the era, particularly the US’s involvement in the Philippines (ouch). It’s worth reading, but probably best taken in small bites.
                  Edit: I don’t know how I could have forgotten–try “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”, or any of the books with collected quotes by Twain.

DantheDragon
                  Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

There is a pretty cool clamation film about him tho….Well, it’s mostly kind of corny, but it remains one of my more memorable films from when I was little :mrgreen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088678/

ROFL! I have that sitting right next to me. I saw it for sale at deepdiscountdvd.com and bought it just a few weeks ago. I loved it as a child.

I also love Mark Twain. I actually wrote a 20 page high school term paper on three of his works. I was greatly entertained by The Innocents Abroad myself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.