Maplecarver's PYOs Wolfey Page 2

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Maplecarver's PYOs Wolfey Page 2

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Melissa
    Participant

And Griffykins was on a temporary leave of absence (where he sulked on my shelf next to the White Unicorn Family, devouring chocolate and complaining that I don’t take him seriously enough) while I worked on this girl. Miss Tilden Lascaux, Eaglefeather’s swap piece.

Here’s her first two coats. A primer coat of fine gold interference thinned with GAC 100 and 200 and a secondary coat of thinned out red, gold, and yellow oxide. GAC 100 and 200 have become my buddies. At this stage, she looked like she came out of a pink popcorn package, or got skunked and bathed in tomato soup. I was a wee bit mortified. 😯

And here’s her third coat where she recieved a bit of thinned out fine silver. Which made me think of Neapolitan Ice Cream.

Here’s her fourth coat with more red, gold and of brown, which gave me heart as it resembled horsey colors at least as much as fair ground candy.

I fess up, I skipped taking photos for a few steps, so this is the result of a bit of thinned down brown and gold on the body and nose (with no red), a few coats of really thinned down black with interference gold mixed in. The mane and tail got a different treatment with a more concentrated black and iridescent rather than interference gold.

Lastly, were her beads and hair wraps. (I’m guessing those are hair wraps anyway) Since she’s a slightly primitive critter, I wanted her jewelry to be simple technologically, nothing that looked like it would have come from a synthetic dye vat or modern factory. So the wrap-resembling hairpieces were done with Yellow Oxide which could be seen as plant fibers or deerskin (mixing in some Gold of course because I like the shinies). And the beads were done with Phthalo blue, Phthalo green, and Interference Blue which stood out against the base coat and could be interpreted as turquoise (which is reasonably soft I’ve heard) or as some sort of glazed ceramic.

Hope you guys enjoyed my presentation. πŸ˜€ And now I’m off to have a photo shoot with Koishii’s little Nova. And to convince Griffykins that I still love him and that his ‘rival’ has been shipped to Iowa.

Maria
      Participant

Griffykins is quite the character. πŸ˜† Tilden is a very pretty lady, too.

PurpleTurtle
        Participant

Nice work, on both of your PYOs πŸ˜€

Adaneth
          Participant

I enjoyed the ‘in-progress’ shots of the unicorn. Nice work! πŸ˜€

Katherine
            Participant

Awwww….poor Griffykins! I hope he didn’t get too chubby stuffing his face with chocolate! 😯 πŸ˜†
              I knew there was some shinies to Miss Tilden, but I couldn’t quite pin-point it. I have to say that the gold and silver interference make such a gorgeous and perfect effect on her! When I flipped her over I did notice some gold interference, but I forgot to say anything! Thank you for posting these, and make sure to give Griffykins many hugs and kisses from Miss Tilden!! πŸ˜€

Melissa
              Participant

Thanks guys, and you’re very welcome.

I read that painting interference on the back of fake eyes makes them light up more, (Floyd Schulz, Birds of Prey book) so that’s why I tried it for a primer. Even with a clear acrylic medium the gypsum soaks it up unevenly causing the sparkly bits on the surface to (initially) have an odd texture, but it seems very well worth it. I am very glad you like her so much.

I sent Tilden’s message to Griffykins and he squeaked, blushed, preened, then mumbled something about ‘give her my kindly regards’ and ‘permitting’ me to work on his wings now. So I guess we’re back in business! πŸ˜€

Katherine
                Participant

Maplecarver wrote:

I sent Tilden’s message to Griffykins and he squeaked, blushed, preened, then mumbled something about ‘give her my kindly regards’ and ‘permitting’ me to work on his wings now. So I guess we’re back in business! πŸ˜€

I seriously think that’s the sweetest thing I have ever read!

Melissa
                  Participant

Well, this is a bigtime bump for this thread, but here’s two shots of Wolfey, Abatos’s swap piece. I tossed a lot of metallic paint into her coat. I’ve come to like that effect.

PurpleTurtle
                    Participant

Oooo! Very pretty wolfy πŸ™‚

Adaneth
                      Participant

Beautiful work on the different hues in the coat! The fur really looks soft. πŸ™‚

Lokie
                        Participant

Very nice!

Melissa
                          Participant

Thanks, guys. πŸ˜€

Amstaff
                            Participant

Really liked how the unicorn turned out, and totally love the wolf! Now you make me want to get a PYO wolf as well! πŸ˜›

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.