fbpx

Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast Members

Home Forums Miscellany Community Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast Members

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    keschete
    Participant

keschete
      Participant

Here is a link to volunteer if you are on the Louisiana Coast or Mississippi Coast to help with the Oil Spill.

You Can Volunteer to Help with Oil Spill Recovery!!! Helping Oiled Wildlife, Monitoring Oil Movement, Volunteering to Provide Boats and Drivers! Go to http://www.crcl.org if you want to help volunteer.

siberakh1
        Participant

I’m so upset at what you guys are going to have to go through down there and all the environment, creatures and lives that are going to be being affected and are going to be affected for years to come by the disaster of that oil rig and it’s only just beginning. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Wish I lived down there. I’d be right down there helping if I could! I wish you all the best of luck. *BIG HUGS*

keschete
          Participant

Thank you! I have signed up on every volunteer site. I have a 10 plus years rehabbing wildlife and I am comfortable handling birds and wild animals. So right now we are all just sitting on our hands, waiting. I can only volunteer evenings and weekends because of work, but I will help where I can.

So far only 1 bird, a ganet, was pulled in. He is doing well. We will just have to wait and see…… ๐Ÿ˜ก BP played around with this and basically lied about the severity of the spill for the first EIGHT DAYS after the rig exploded. ๐Ÿ˜ก

siberakh1
            Participant

I know! I want to know if with all those ‘fail safes’ (five if I heard correctly), when was the last time any of them were tested (do they even test them)? :scratch: I listen to Coast to Coast AM at night on the drive home and they’ve have been in touch with their marine contact every night, who has been keeping track of the situation and talking to the local guys and fisherman down your way and have been more ahead on this than the regular media and predicting this is far worse than was being said and were complaining where has BP or the Feds been in rushing to be booms in. It’s just infuriating how slow the reaction has been to this, and I know that the capping isn’t going to be easy, especially with the rig sitting upside down on top of the cap. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Yeah, the whole thing is bogus…Everyone had a ft when Exxon screwed up, it was a major fit throwing contest. Now that we have it going on so close to our shore they are trying to make it sound less than it is. All those animals, and food supplies we eat and share with the whales and birds and fish…Totally thrashed.
              I would think OSHA would be up their butts about checking any relief valves or system valves they would have had. I don’t know what caused the explosion though. (Scott has been home and men and the clickers…I am lucky to catch 30 minutes of the news twice a week! ๐Ÿ˜ก )

siberakh1
              Participant

WindstoneCollector, the explosion is still under investigation, so you haven’t missed that. Not only will this affect food supply and the natural areas, but those fishing grounds for shrimp, fish, and oyster could be contaminated and unusable for decades at least. What will those fisherman and their families do? It’s where the bulk of our oysters and a good bit of our shrimp that is US harvested come from. I’m waiting for the oil prices to jump because it’s a ‘good excuse’ to use this disaster to do so.

Ah yes… men and their clickers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thrippa
                Participant

I couldn’t believe the quote in our paper today – I sincerely hope it wasn’t correctly quoted, but I’m afraid it was. “The Gulf of Mexico leak is a ‘combination of all the bad things happening’ and makes it far worse than any disaster imagined in the drills”. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I thought the whole POINT of emergency drills was to assume the worst possible circumstances!

bayoudragon
                  Participant

For some happy news, a good friend of mine works for the Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana. She said that, so far, there have been 1300 people sign up to volunteer. Hopefully, the power of people wanting to do good will help this situation. I just hope that some good comes out of all this. Our wetlands were fragile to begin with. ๐Ÿ™

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Sadly this will negatively impact the ecosystems it touches (and beyond) for the better part of a century.

A century is but a blink of an eye in terms of the planet’s ecosystem, but think about how it could have been prevented if greed and corruption weren’t the norms.

Best wishes to those that can help with the clean up! It can only help a tiny fraction of the wildlife effected, but it’s better than no help at all. Kudos to you guys!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

The oil spill is supposed to hit my area (near Pensacola, FL) Tuesday or Wednesday. And hubby was so looking forward to going to the beach the summer.

bayoudragon
                        Participant

For anyone wanting updated information, a website has been set up to disperse information. The agencies associated with the website include the United States Coast Guard, NOAA, U.S. Dept of the Interior, BP, Transocean, and the U.S. Dept of Homeland Security. They even have transcripts from press briefings.

Gulf of Mexico – Deepwater Horizon Incident

For those that like to get their info through the social medias (FB, twitter, etc.), they have those set up as well. I think the one on Facebook is titled Deepwater Horizon Response.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.