Looking for Male Kirin Replacement Horn

Home Forums Administration Flea Market Looking for Male Kirin Replacement Horn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Puffpastryofdoom
    Participant

Puffpastryofdoom
      Participant

Hello everyone!
        I had just received a male Kirin in the mail yesterday only to discover that he wasn’t packaged properly. πŸ™
        His horn must have pierced through the package during shipping and got severely bent (and caused the base of the horn to chip off).
        http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/PuffPastryofDoom/Kirin
        I e-mailed the company last night to see if they might have a replacement horn for him. IF they don’t, I was wondering if anyone here possibly had a replacement horn that I could purchase from them. (I know it’s a long shot, but I figured it’s worth asking!)

Hannah
        Participant

Oh my gosh, they sent him to you in that flat box?!! UGH. People who can’t package Windstones correctly just shouldn’t sell them!! 😑

I hope you get a replacement – or at least some money back on that! Maybe if you can’t find a replacement horn here, you could see if Windstone themselves have something that could help? :shrug:

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Puffpastryofdoom
          Participant

I know! AND all that was inside the box were a couple sheets of bubblewrap! (I can’t believe he didn’t shatter!)

The seller did apologize since he thought he packaged him well. Fortunately he did say that he can give me a partial refund (…or a full refund–so long as I ship him back). I did send the company a message last night to see if they have any replacement horns that I could purchase. (But since the male Kirin’s retired, I don’t know if they will or not… πŸ˜• ) But since I haven’t heard anything yet, I figured I’d come here to ask!
            Aside from the horn and the small chip, the rest of him is in great condition so hopefully I can “rescue” him!

WolfenMachine
            Participant

holy cow!! I didn’t know metal could bend that far without breaking! Poor guy! Windstone has sold a few male Kirins in LE colors within the last year so they *may* actually have some horns somewhere-or at LEAST one-although the LE Kirins could have been repaintns that Melody did. Good luck Puffpastry! I hope you can save him!

Pixie-dust
              Participant

I have a broken male unicorn that could be used for parts or repaired and
                repainted by someone ( head snapped off in one piece) but not a male Ki-Rin, sorry, wish I
                could help. πŸ˜₯

siberakh1
                Participant

That plating would be ruined (then again, bending that far probably did some damage to it from the looks of it). If you were really careful, you *might* be able to use a heat gun or something, but Pewter can be moved if it’s thin or warm enough. That’s only if you felt like experimenting and no guarantee if it would even work! You’d have to be EXTREMELY careful with the rest of him if you tried that though, as it could cause issues with the paint and all as well if you are not. Poor kirin.

I’d definitely check with Melody to see about the possibility of a replacement horn. Never hurts to ask. πŸ™‚

Puffpastryofdoom
                  Participant

!!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ :D!!!

I just spoke to Susie and she said that they found a replacement horn for my Kirin!!!!
                    I seriously couldn’t be happier knowing that they were able to help rescue him!!!
                    That’s what’s so great about the company. Not only do they have the best collectibles, but they have the best staff too!! πŸ™‚

Adaneth
                    Participant

That’s wonderful! πŸ˜€ Susie rocks!

Katherine
                      Participant

Oh gosh-I had to replace my mother Kirin’s horn a while back, and I believe I got the replacement horn from Windstone as well! Now-to get the horn out-you need to be VERY VERY VERY VERY careful! I can’t remember, for the life of me, what I did to remove the horn. i applied something to the base of it-to loosen the glue inside the hole. Then I let it sit for a while, and then I started to wiggle it-but very carefully! You could break the whole head if you do not take your time at it!
                        Can anyone else remember what could be used to loosen the glue at the base of the horn? Whatever you use-make sure you take precautions so that it doesn’t strip the paint as well. If it does-Melody will ship some touch up paint-if she has any. Good luck!!

WolfenMachine
                        Participant

I’ve heard that plain water will soften glue-but I haven’t personally tried it. If you were very careful, you could put a drop of acetone fingernail polish remover on the damaged horn and let it trickle down to the base. That would definatly loosen the glue-but I dont know how it would react with the gypsum.

Puffpastryofdoom
                          Participant

Thank you so much for the suggestions, Eaglefeather and WolfenMachine!!
                            Since his horn had gotten a bit loose from being banged around during shipping, I figured that I would first try running some warm water over it first. After that, I gently wiggled it a little –and wouldn’t you know; it came right out without any damage! What a relief!!! πŸ™‚
                            Again, thank you so much for your help!!!

Hannah
                            Participant

Hooray!! I’m so glad that you’re getting this repaired without much hassle – you’ll have to post a picture of him when he’s all done πŸ˜€

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                              Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Christine
                              Participant

I’ve successfully pulled several horns before, I know I made a post about it a while ago. (And don’t you just love Windstone? I had to pull a male Kirin horn too and was able to get a replacement πŸ™‚ )

Be very, VERY careful pulling the horn…take your time. And I do mean take your time.

The good news is, if his horn took enough force to bend like that, it’s likely that’ you’ll be able to get it going without using any solvents or water at first. That way there’s less risk of damaging the paint around his horn hole. You just need to start wiggling it. Use firm pressure, and TAKE YOUR TIME lol!!! It will take some time to get it loose at first and break the seal the glue holds, but once it starts to come up, it’ll go faster. If you use too much pressure, you may pull up some of the surrounding plaster and risk visible damage, even after he’s repaired.

Good luck!!

Horn repair discussion thread: http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11352

and my original post about pulling a Kirin horn:

Quote:

I took drag0nfeathers’ suggestion and tried nail polish remover with acetone. I gently wiggled the horn back and forth for a good 3 or 4 minutes–until it started to give just enough that I could push/pry up (VERY CAREFULLY) to reveal a tiny space between the horn and figure. I could have spent longer on this part–this is where the chip started in his head from wiggling with a little too much force.

Once the horn was loosened, I took a q-tip and wet it with the acetone, then pressed it against the horn–not the figure–and let it run down and under the horn one drop at a time. This worked pretty well–almost no acetone ended up on the paint. Then I wiggled…and wiggled!! I would get as much as I could under one side and then work on the other side, and wiggle some more.

(Side note–I originally wanted a needle/syringe to inject the acetone accurately but didn’t know where to get one. My sister says kitten syringes can be had at feed supply stores–go fig. You don’t need a veterinary license either.)

After about 20 minutes of this slow wiggle-dribble-wiggle, the horn came up! It brought a tiny bit of plaster with it, but from inside the head-hole and nothing that would show on the outside. The biggest damage came from some of the acetone working its way under the area where the horn lays back against the kirin’s forehead. The paint there got damaged. I touched it up though, and when a new horn goes on, it won’t show.

Katherine
                                Participant

That’s awesome it came up well!! I remember doing that to my female Kirin, and I sighed a huge sigh of relief because I was so worried I would break her!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.