Looking for a book, don't remember the name.

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Looking for a book, don't remember the name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I remember reading a book about a guy that is sent on a quest (I think) by a small kirin statue that comes to life. It was probably 20 years ago, so not a recent publication. I can barely remember the story, but I remember the kirin being part of the story. Much later, I think another book came out that sounded similar, but I think it came out as a prequel taking place a generation or two earlier with a female central character. I never read the second book, so I’m not positive on the description.

I’ve tried doing internet searches about stories with ki’rins, but I can;t find anything. Does this book or books sound familiar to anyone?

Pegasi1978
    Participant

Not ringing any bells here. Are you sure you can’t remember anything else about the story like a name or even the author’s name possibly? Was it a short story or a full-length novel? Would it fit under Children’s/Young Adult/Adult fiction?

Full length novel. Probably adult fiction because I would have found it in the regular Science Fiction/Fantasy paperback book section of the book store.

The writer is the same one who wrote Pigs Don’t Fly, but Dragons Do…by Mary Brown, and I think the particular story you are looking for is Dragonne’s Egg.

I highly recommend reading the first one if you missed it, which was Pigs Don’t Fly. Dragonne’s Egg was the sequel.

Mary has also written another story, called The Unlikely Ones, definately look that one up, it’s very good as well.

Kyrin

I remember that book. Author is Mary Brown.
      Thanks, I’ll check what else she wrote.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

“Pigs don’t fly” is by Mary Brown. It’s sequel is “Master of Many Treasures”.

It looks like the second book that I mentioned (Dragonne’s Eg) is actually part 4 of the “Here There Be Dragonnes” series. The two that Pegasi mentioned are part 2 and 3. “Unlikely Ones” is part 1.

That solved half of the mystery. Thanks everyone!

dragonmedley
        Participant

Funny… I have the omnibus of that, read it twice, but don’t remember the kirin ๐Ÿ˜•

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

I see now that first book I mentioned is not related to the second. It’s possible that when I was reading the description for “Dragonne’s Eg” that I thought it was related the first. Memory gets a little fuzzy at my age, I guess. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m still trying to remember the title of first book.

Nightcrow
          Participant

Was the author Mary Brown? I haven’t read all her books, but I do remember that one of the two I read involved a ki-rin leading the main character(s) in their quest.

Maybe try her name on Amazon.com or Google for her publisher?

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

I found a review of Dragonne’s Eg and one comment says, “..the reintroduction of Ky-lin..”, So I’m pretty sure that the Mary Brown books are the ones that I was looking for. I remember the story in “Pigs Dpn’t Fly”, but I’m not sure which of the other two that I read. I’ll just have to dig out my old copies and reread them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dragonne’s Eg is on it’s way, sorry I keep forgetting it at home…I’m a goof.

Kyrin

pipsxlch
            Participant

Sounds like you found it from Kyrin… I was going to say I have an omnibus edition of “The Unexpected Dragon” with ‘Pigs Don’t Fly’, ‘Master of Many Treasures’ and ‘Dragonne’s Eg’ that you could have. Being we’re both in Florida, shipping shouldn’t be TOO outrageous.

WolfenMachine
              Participant

Don’t mean to hijack ๐Ÿ˜ณ but….

I remember reading a book from the school library maybe 10-12 years ago about a boy and his red horse and the horse’s name was Juniper…again, same as Tintaglia, I’ve tried doing searches for “boy horse Juniper” looked on Amazon…couldn’t find anything. Does that sound familiar to any one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.