Life update

Home Forums Miscellany Community Life update

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So while I’ve been lurking lately, I haven’t been posting… my life just got really hectic lately!

In early September a recall was issued at the plant that supplies meat to our ground beef plant. This is not news to a lot of you, as I’m sure many of you have heard of the XL Foods beef recall.

As the recall gets larger, and we start losing customers, I start to be concerned about my job. Turns out those fears were completely based in reality, as on the 2nd of October I was ‘temporarily’ laid off, along with another 15 people or so. Another 20 had been laid off 2 weeks prior. It seems now that the owners of the company are wanting to sell off…. but they haven’t sold off the plant I used to work for. Makes me wonder if they are just going to shut it down.

My plant manager, however, got in contact with a cook plant in downtown Edmonton, hoping to score me a temporary job to tide me over until they get up and running again. On nothing more than talking with me for five minutes and my boss’ recommendations, I am hired as a permanent supervisor for their meatball operations in Leduc. This comes with a raise, and I have less actual responsibilities overall, but a much larger commute for the 2 weeks per month I’m at the Leduc plant. I don’t know what my boss said to get the new guy to hire me on word of mouth only, but it must’ve been good (thank goodness, because I haven’t updated my resume in a loooong time!).

And now I don’t know what to do if the plant I did work at decides they want me back. While I am enjoying the day to day of my new job, it’s not particularly in the field I saw myself in (QA), and it has one massive commute. Even paid mileage, it’s a half hour each way, with the return trip in rush-hour traffic. In the winter, it’s going to be brutal.

And on top of all the job stuff, I’ve been told I’m Celiac and can’t eat gluten containing products. I’m seriously missing bread, as the gluten-free stuff I can buy is just not the same. The pasta is almost the same, but not the bread.

But all in all, I suppose I still have my health, my kitties still love me, my hubby’s been super supportive in all of this… I think I’m pretty lucky, actually. The important stuff is there. 🙂

dragonmedley
    Participant

Well, 1/2 hour isn’t really that far when you consider general commuting time (especially compared to my area!). If you really like the place/salary/people, and even if the field is somewhat different, it’s worth the drive. This is where you see if you have the option to change your hours to avoid traffic, or work from home once in a while.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Sorry to hear all of it! I have Celiac friends and my husband and I willingly try to forgo as much wheat product as we can, so if you ever need recipes let me know. That said, there is a lot of information already online if you need food ideas.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Sorry to hear all of it! I have Celiac friends and my husband and I willingly try to forgo as much wheat product as we can, so if you ever need recipes let me know. That said, there is a lot of information already online if you need food ideas.

I would honestly love a couple of tried and true recipes if you have them…. (what can I say I collect recipes).

Well, 1/2 hour isn’t really that far when you consider general commuting time (especially compared to my area!). If you really like the place/salary/people, and even if the field is somewhat different, it’s worth the drive. This is where you see if you have the option to change your hours to avoid traffic, or work from home once in a while.

Since the job is supervising the line, I don’t think there’s a way to change my hours without changing everyone else’s (also knocks out the ever elusive, work from home option, but I don’t think I’d get anything done working from home either…).

And as for the field change, it’s mostly feeling like my schooling is going down the toilet. Even though I was hired for that background, I haven’t needed it… which is weird.

I was wondering about you when I saw the recalls start :(. I’m sorry about what happened, I’m glad you found a new job quickly though. If it were me I wouldn’t agonize over the decision over which job to take if you we’re offered your old job back until it happens. Until then just do this job the best you can and when your old job is offered then decide weather you wish to go back or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.