fbpx

LED lights

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone LED lights

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tethra
    Participant

Tethra
      Participant

I’ve bought a display cabinet (or curio I think it is over in the US) for my Windstones but it is quite dark inside even with glass sides and a mirrored back. I don’t want to keep them in the dark as that isn’t showing off their best sides! ๐Ÿ˜€ (The male dragon and griffin in particular are suffering from bruised egos there in the dark! ๐Ÿ˜† )

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and thought about/has installed LED lights/down lights in the cabinet. Is there any type of lights that work best? I have a red fire lap dragon and a ruby mother dragon in there. Will the lights act like sunlight and fade them?

I do feel bad posting this considering what has happened to Griffinlover’s poor Windstones because of a cabinet. I don’t mean any disrespect by this post and I truly hope you can fix your babies. I am a little scared about my own cabinet now, and I won’t put more than 2 mid sized pieces on a shelf. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Personally I use incandescent lights, but that because I really dislike the way that florescent and LED distort colours.

(” Is there any type of lights that work best?”)
        I really like full spectrum lights. They are neither incandescent, nor are they LED / fluorescent. They go by names like REVEAL, or DAYLIGHT lights, etc. They are available a most hardware stores, and warehouse chains. I use these same lights when I am working in my studio. All those task lights that are sold at places like Joanne’s and Michaels use similar type bulbs.

You can get full spectrum incandescent and florescent bulbs :scratch: .

Tethra
        Participant

Thank you to ruffian and Dreaming Tree Studio for your replies and advice! I will look into the lights you are suggesting. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Dreaming Tree Studio wrote:

(” Is there any type of lights that work best?”)
            I really like full spectrum lights. They are neither incandescent, nor are they LED / fluorescent. They go by names like REVEAL, or DAYLIGHT lights, etc. They are available a most hardware stores, and warehouse chains. I use these same lights when I am working in my studio. All those task lights that are sold at places like Joanne’s and Michaels use similar type bulbs.

The ones you are talking about are halogen bulbs or sometimes incandescent. Incandescent isn’t the color temperature– it’s the physical means of creating the light. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Be aware that some ‘full spectrum’ lights and strong intensity lights DO emit the wavelengths and sometimes the intensity (halogens) that can fade Windstones… especially Ruby / Red Fire Windstones.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Tethra
              Participant

Thanks Jen, that was the info I needed! I love my red dragons and I would hate to see them fade. I will try to get a softer intensity light that isn’t full spectrum. Once again, thank you!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

tethra wrote:

Thanks Jen, that was the info I needed! I love my red dragons and I would hate to see them fade. I will try to get a softer intensity light that isn’t full spectrum. Once again, thank you!

Many home improvement stores will have some light bulbs set up so that you can see the color temperature of the light they put off. If you can, that’s one way to get a feel for it! ๐Ÿ™‚
                  Our human eyes can only see parts of the light spectrum (and not the Ultraviolet ((UV)) end of the spectrum, which is the most damaging to colors) so pick one that looks good to your eyes.

Heather
                  Participant

I read this and found myself nodding over Nam’s cautions regarding full-spectrum lighting. Recently I adopted a veiled chameleon, and the best place to put his big cage was right beside a couple of curios with Windstones. But chams need full-spectrum lighting. So he has his special light . . . aimed away from the curios . . . and with a sheet of weed-blocker cloth between the cage and the curios too. The overall effect is not exactly elegant. ๐Ÿ˜†

Tethra
                    Participant

Barrdwing wrote:

So he has his special light . . . aimed away from the curios . . . and with a sheet of weed-blocker cloth between the cage and the curios too. The overall effect is not exactly elegant. ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜€ Could you use a nice thick square scarf of something instead to make it a little more elegant? ‘Cause weedmat cloth is so nice to look at….. ๐Ÿ˜†

Heather
                      Participant

tethra wrote:

๐Ÿ˜€ Could you use a nice thick square scarf of something instead to make it a little more elegant? ‘Cause weedmat cloth is so nice to look at….. ๐Ÿ˜†

I’m sure I could, but I really wanted something designed to block light, and unfortunately I didn’t have a piece of regular fabric that was large enough. It’s OK, though: the cloth faces away from the main part of the room. And our living room is furnished in Neo-Tatty College Student Hand-Me-Down anyway, so it rather blends in. ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.