fbpx

Kitten! So cute, yet…so blind..

Home Forums Miscellany Community Kitten! So cute, yet…so blind..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    darjeb
    Participant

I had a female chow chow that lost her sight in the first eye at age 5 and the second eye at 6 1/2 from Glacoma. At the time she lost the sight in the second eye I said what do I do now and the vet said treat her just like a blind person – don’t move the furniture or leave shoes, purses, etc on the floor because she knows where the furniture is placed but not the things you leave on the floor. She lived to be 12 years old and got around fine. Even when the company moved me from KC to Atlanta it didn’t take her any time at all to adjust. As far as stairs are concerned when I had to take her up or down stairs I said Starfire step step step and when we got to the top I told her top and she started walking. The vet also told me animals get around more by smell than sight.

I know 2 cats that have no eyes – both had severe URI infections and ended up needing both eyes removed. The same really nice lady adopted both of them. One is all white and his name is Mr. Magoo! She had a completely fenced in yard and used to take him out with her under very strict supervision. One day she was sitting in a chair very quietly and saw Magoo catch a bird in mid-flight! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ She felt really bad for the bird (she loves all animals) but she said he looked so proud of himself. Both cats are bid snugglers since they got handled so much as kittens. Your kitten should do just fine. SHE doesn’t know she should see.

Amanda
      Participant

Oh what a cutie! I am so glad you are keeping her, I would worry to death if I had to rehome a pet. I think being born without sight from the get go will be the eaiest thing for her, she’ll never have to learn to do without, she thinks it’s normal not to see things. The only thing I can think of-and I’m not sure it makes any sense-but do you have an outlet near the top of the stairs where you could plug in a little fan? Just thinking that maybe she could learn to associate that area (top of the stairs) with a certain sound.

And maybe a fountain could be nice for the food area-she could hear the bubbling water ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m definitely gonna be taking lots of pictures of her. She’s too darling.

darjeb- Tha’s an amazing story. We’ve not had any blind pets yet, just Homer’s (big dog/ mix) hearing is starting to get bad. You have to speak loud and/or repeat his name/commands a few times for him to hear.

She already knows where the food bowls, the waterbowl, and the litterbox are. She follows sound pretty well, like when you’re walking by, she’ll follow. I can flick my nails together and she’ll come to that.
        I just don’t think she’s caught onto her name too well yet. XD

Bob

I’m glad she got a good home. I’m sure she will be fine. I have also NEVER heard of a cat being born with out eyes.

Pam

Don’t know who owns the mom cat, but I would definately get her spayed… (Her and any of her offspring–this isn’t a good trait to be passing on)

Her mom is ours too. We were in the process of getting all the males fixed and we suspect that one of them pinned her before they went in.

Yeah, we definitely don’t want it to continue, but now that the boys are fixed and the girls don’t go outside we don’t have to worry about kittens anymore.
            Girls are next to get spayed after the shots are done.

Bob

I LOVE hearing about responsible pet owners!!

Windswept
              Participant

I’ve got a small colony of caecillians (wiki them for more info), and let me tell you caring for nearly/blind things can actually be pretty damned adorable. And as the owner of a yearling cat who has only 13% of one remaining kidney, here’s a good luck that your little one lives long and healthy!

(link note: some people think they’re gross, and akin them to worms or leeches (EW). Anyone who sees them in person immediately thinks they’re cute, though, so I think you have to see them moving to get the full picture)

Demyx wrote:

I’ve got a small colony of caecillians (wiki them for more info), and let me tell you caring for nearly/blind things can actually be pretty damned adorable. And as the owner of a yearling cat who has only 13% of one remaining kidney, here’s a good luck that your little one lives long and healthy!

(link note: some people think they’re gross, and akin them to worms or leeches (EW). Anyone who sees them in person immediately thinks they’re cute, though, so I think you have to see them moving to get the full picture)

I sure hope she does too, she’s far too adorable.

I’ve seen those before! Just once, I always thought they were cool. XD

And by the way, nice Demyx BJD. ๐Ÿ˜€

Windswept
                Participant

Oh lord, you know BJD!? Haa, thanks. I love him. ๐Ÿ˜€ I have quite a gang of them, which is why my Windstone collection is so small.

lamortefille
                  Participant

Tu is adorable, Algy! I’m so happy she will have a good home with you: -) Keep us updated, please…

darjeb
                    Participant

In addition to my previous message I would like to add – I am hard of hearing and Starfire (blue chow chow) was blind from the age of 5 – She became my ears and I became her eyes as time went by.

demyx- I sure do! I only have one myself for now. he’s totally evil. Are you part of Den of Angels too?

darjeb – That’s an amazing partnership you have going! I do hope it keeps both of you safe.

Windswept
                      Participant

Algy- I’m on DoA as Windswept, but I rarely/never post anymore. On DoD slightly more often, as Demyx.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.