fbpx

kitchen fire

Home Forums Miscellany Community kitchen fire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Okaaayyy… So this morning we had a bit of a scare. We had a kitchen fire while getting the kids ready for school. Luckily, no one was hurt. Kids, cats, mum and house are fine, just badly rattled. So, all the doors and windows are open trying to clear the smoke. We have a stiff 20 mile an hour wind blowing and the outdoor thermometer reads 28 degrees F. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smoke smell? I don’t think I’ll be going to the school to volunteer today… 😯 😯 😯

twindragonsmum

(NOW the smoke detector goes off…)

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Purplecat
        Participant

What were you cooking? I caught the kitchen on fire once experimenting with hamburger and the grease caught…I’d suggest some Febreeze along with scrubbing everything with pinesol. Go ahead and leave the windows open for a bit so it will air out some too, that will help the smell dissipate faster. I’m really glad no one was hurt. 😯

twindragonsmum
          Participant

Stupid me… I put the tea kettle on to boil for cocoa and didn’t see the hot pad that was stuck to the bottom. No more hot pad except for a charred, soggy mess that is stuck tight to the burner πŸ˜• I’ll try the Febreeze. In the meantime, we’re freezing.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Purplecat
            Participant

My sympathies….Scrubbing everything down with the pine sol (I like the orange one) will help with the smoke odor on your cabinets and other surfaces. That’s really scary.. 😯

Maria
              Participant

Wow, I’m glad it didn’t spread!

Skigod377
                Participant

Me, too. Maybe paint the walls a bit?

EEk! Scary! So glad it was contained 😯
                  Real vanilla eats up a lot of smells. So do apple cores. Maybe try leaving a couple of bowls of vanilla out.

lamortefille
                  Participant

I’m glad no one was injured!

dragonmedley
                    Participant

😯

You were real lucky. Fire can spread so easily!

Yeah, just leave the windows open and walk around with your coat!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

We had a kitchen fire a few years ago. We had an ice storm as well so I know what it’s like to try and air the house out in frigid weather Brrrrr
                      Any thing citrus scented seemed to help neutralize the oder the most. I’m glad no one was hurt. Hope you warm up soon πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Got everything scrubbed; have orange peel, cloves and vanilla simmering in the crockpot. Smells much better. The stove top is in the center island so no scorch marks on walls, ceiling or cabinets. (RATS! There goes my chance for a new kitchen! πŸ˜† ) Called hubby at work and he said the same thing “Glad you and the boys are all right. I don’t think our insurance policy covers arson…” Good thing I love him! My leg has been pulled by him so often during 21 years of marriage that I walk lopsided because one leg is longer than the other! Thanks for the tips and moral support. I generally do okay in emergencies. It’s just afterward that I fall apart.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Jasmine
                        Participant

Glad everyone is okay. Well, at least there was minimal damage though I guess you’ll have to replace that burner… πŸ˜•

Purplecat
                          Participant

I’m glad it turned out ok! πŸ˜€

As long as everyone is okay, and the house isn’t burned down, I think you did great! So glad it wasn’t worse.

Kyrin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.