fbpx

Just when you think…..

Home Forums Miscellany Community Just when you think…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

…things are finally getting better, don’t look now; they aren’t. Really. πŸ™„ πŸ™„

Yesterday I was feeling pretty darned good; the cast came off my leg and I’m in a walking boot finally. I managed to snag a couple of PYO’s from the store, and lo and behold—there was a phone call on my answering machine about a possible job. All good, right? Exit, good; enter not good. πŸ™

One of my older horses (24) was scheduled to have a tooth pulled yesterday. I had the vet out on Saturday to check her teeth, because I suspected she had a bad tooth, and the vet confirmed that. She said she would be available to be here to tranquilize the mare for the extraction. And she mentioned that Julya’s gums were a little jaundiced looking, but she told me that if the mare was colicky and not eating normally, being stressed could cause minor liver troubles that would be addressed by getting that bad tooth out, and some antibiotics and more food in. She wasn’t raising any red flags. So I called the horse dentist and scheduled the appointment for Julya and my 2 other seniors (23 and 32). I had gone out with my husband earlier in the morning to feed the horses before my doctor’s appointment for my leg, and everyone was fine.

The dentist got here on schedule, and my husband took him out to the barn while I put my walking cast and barn boot on. I get out to the barn to find my husband and Mike the dentist standing with my old mare, who was down on the ground, and not looking good at all. When I got closer to her, I saw that she had cut her left front leg to the bone, not good, and that cut was dry–even worse, because that meant the cut was old. She must have gone down shortly after I left the barn in the morning, and by the time I got back there again, she must’ve been down for several hours. I’m guessing that she cut herself trying to get back up. She was shocky, dehydrated and very weak. I called the vet to see where she was, and she was enroute to our place and estimated she’d be here in about 5-10 minutes. So I put blankets on the mare, gave her some banamine and took a closer look at her leg. It wasn’t going to be something we could stitch, but when the vet initially looked, she felt that if we could get Julya to a stall, we could clean the cut and bandage it, and go from there. Then we tried to get the mare up, and we couldn’t get her up. The vet started checking other vital signs, like gut sounds and took another look at her gums. The final verdict was that Julya was in acute liver failure, and was just generally shutting down. We ended up having to put her down. She went with her head in my lap, and my tears on her face. πŸ˜₯

So much for a “good” day.

I guess that given the weather currently being forecasted for here I should be glad that Julya went when she did; they’re calling for 2 feet of snow for the weekend. I don’t even want to *begin* to envision THAT scenario, thank you very much. πŸ™

I give up; this crap has got to stop somewhere, doesn’t it? I’ve given up asking how much worse could things get—a long time ago–because I decided I really didn’t want to KNOW how much worse things could be. I mean, really…..WTF? πŸ™„ πŸ˜₯ Can someone just make it stop, now? PLEASE??? PRETTY PLEASE???

wolflodge100
    Participant

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you. “hugs” I hope things get better for you soon.

i’m so sorry…that must have been so difficult for you. things will turn around, just have to weather the storms sometimes. *big hugs*

machineguts
      Participant

*Hugs tight* I’m so sorry to hear this, hon. πŸ™

Skigod377
        Participant

Im really sorry about your horse. πŸ™

bayoudragon
          Participant

oh, tasgrs, that is heartbreaking. πŸ˜₯ (((hugs)))

Adaneth
            Participant

So heartbreaking just reading that–very sorry for your loss. πŸ™

I know you sometimes have to weather the storms, but for cryin’ out loud, even a major Hurricane only lasts a day or two. :shout: This crap has been going on almost non-stop since last July when we lost our 17 y.o. cat. I’m nearing the end of my rope, and I’m not sure I can tie a big enough knot in the end to hang on to. I’ve had bad luck before, but never on a scale like these last few months. Un-freakin’-believable. πŸ™„ I’m not asking to win the lottery; I just want some nice, quiet, uneventful times. Honestly. That’s all. (>-<) well…..okay. I wouldn’t turn that lottery ticket down if someone were to offer it……..and I’d share!

darjeb
              Participant

I am so sorry for you – my sincere sympathy to you and your husband

LadyFirebird
                Participant

I’m so sorry about your loss! I know what you mean about things getting ‘better’ only to have something come out of the woodwork and slap you upside the head big time! I’ve been and am going through a series of my own miseries and really, really feel for you! I know what you mean–SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS SH****T STOP! I came into this new year with hopes of things getting better for everyone one–then the miseries start and they seem not to stop. I know all things end, good and bad, but it seems to me that the bad seems to hang around longer!

I just want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head! I certainly hope, yes I still hope, that things will start to get better–tired of them getting worse for everyone! Sending you lots and lots of positive, warm, comforting and healing thoughts! It’s the best I can do right now!

Jasmine
                  Participant

I’m so sorry about your horse.

Megan
                    Participant

I’m so sorry for your loss, tasgrs πŸ™ That’s an awful thing to have to go through. I hope things improve for you soon. *big hugs*

megamibabe16
                      Participant

*sends waves filled with lots of warmth and love* I am sorry that you have to go through such a rough time. I hope that you get a break soon.

laphon1
                        Participant

I’m so sorry. **hugs**

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.