fbpx

Just came back from Punta Cana

Home Forums Miscellany Community Just came back from Punta Cana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Laurie
      Participant

Have you ever had a vacation from hell? Well I think this vacation would qualify. **wall of text ahead**

My family wanted to do a big vacation together so we all went to the Ocean Blue resort in Punta Cana. Pretty much my mothers whole side of the family went (her two brothers and their kids and my mom, dad, brother/wife and me, Danny and Alyssa). After being on the resort for only 4 hours my dad slipped on the walkway and broke his foot. We had to flag down a shuttle since the resort is so large and they took us over to the “medical” building where we waited for over half and hour just so they could open the door.

Then the “doctor” who opened the door told me to put my dad on the medical table and she sat behind her desk and kept asking for his insurance card. She never once looked at my dad, took any vital signs, NOTHING! All she did was call the insurance company and try to get payment for her services while we waited for an ambulance to take my dad to the hospital so he could get an xray. Two hours later after I asked multiple times if we could get a taxi or ANY kind of transport to the hospital the ambulance finally showed up. The “doctor” would not let us leave until we paid her $160 for her “services” the we had to pay the $200 up front for the ambulance ride so they would take him to the hospital. Once there they put his foot in a cast and gave him pain meds then charged him $1600 and wouldn’t let him leave until he paid.

The hotel sent a rep and a shuttle up to the hospital and at first said they would pay the bill then denied any fault because he had been drinking at the pool bar and told us tough. My dad didn’t want to leave the resort and go home since we were all there so we stayed for the rest of our vacation. The only wheelchair the resort had was located in the medical building and the “doctor” refused to let us use it so we just made due waiting for a shuttle to go by so we could get him to the pool. The rest of the vacation we spent sitting on the beach so Alyssa could build sand castles and swim in the water and we even went out on a boat to manta ray bay where we all swam with sting rays and sharks! Alyssa had a blast and so did the rest of us.

When it was time to leave knew a snow storm was going to hit Philly where we had to land but our travel agent kept telling us our plane was on time so off to the airport in Punta Cana we went. Of course after getting there our flight was in fact delayed by 2 hours 30 minutes. Once our flight did arrive we got on and it was a very turbulent ride up to Philly. When we got to Philly they put us in a holding pattern because they had to clear the runway but ended up shutting down the runway and diverted us to Charlotte North Carolina. After we landed they told us we would have to spend the night in the airport since the next flight we could get to Philly wouldn’t be until the morning and none of the hotels had a room available. They didn’t provide us with anything to sleep on or any food and all of the food courts were closed except for the starbucks. So I just sat there and played World of Warcraft (thank god for my laptop and free wifi).

When the US Airways baggage claim opened we tried to get in line to recheck our bags since our flight was at 7am but this VERY angry little man named Scott was screaming at us that we had to get in another line because we needed some kind of service help. Everyone in the airport was so worn out and whenever anyone tried to ask Scott a question he would just scream at all of us and I mean scream! I’ve never seen such an angry man in all my life. He almost caused a riot screaming at everyone, every time he would yell at the line of people they all started yelling back at him telling him to shut up. I wish I had been smart enough to get my camera phone out and video it because it would have been U-tube gold! I ended up going to one of the TSA agents and asking them where I could get my baggage checked so we could make our flight because Scott had refused to help any of us who had been stranded in the airport over night. The TSA officer told me to try the skybag check outside which I did and thankfully got my bags checked and all of us through security. My dad was stopped because of his cast and had a full body search and they sent Danny through the body scanner. We finally got on our flight out which was delayed and we had to be de-iced but we made it to philly. When we went to pick our checked bags up of course mine were missing. One of my bags made it on a different flight so we had to wait for two hours at the airport for it to arrive. They don’t know where my other bag is and I’m still waiting to hear from them if they ever find it. Now we are home and have a foot of snow in front of our door but I’m just glad to be home.

**Cliff Notes**
        Went to Punta Cana, my dad broke his foot, the doctors at the resort are a holes, got stranded in North Carolina on the flight back, US Airways has Napoleon as a manager in Charlotte and they lost my bag

I’ll post pics as soon as I figure out how to since its telling me something about not figuring out the dimensions of the image

Laurie
        Participant

Arriving from Philly in Punta Cana with my brother and his wife

The beach and water

All of us on the beach right before my dad broke his foot

BIRDS!

The pool bar where my dad spent most of his vacation

Alyssa on the beach with an iguana

Fun in the airport

Warcraft saved my sanity!

Adaneth
          Participant

My work filter won’t let me see the photos, but wow. Your poor dad! ๐Ÿ™

I really wish you had gotten a video of that screaming nut; he deserved to get publicly humiliated! And the medical service at that resort! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ™„

Hope life settles down for you now!

WolfenMachine
            Participant

oh my GOSH! When you were talking about Punta Cana, and I read how aweful the service was there, I thought maybe you guys were in Mexico. (Houston is close enough to Mexico that Im allowed to dog on them so :P) That’s really aweful that the *ehem* “doctor” wouldn’t allow an injured person to use a wheel chair. I’m pretty sure that goes against the doctorial code of ethics and the oath they take as medical professionals. And $160 for her “services”-doesn’t sound like she did anything but call the insurance company! What a B! I’m so sorry your family went through such-DRAMA-in a time when you are supposed to be relaxing and having fun.

Laurie
              Participant

We still had fun and I wasn’t expecting great medical service in a third world country but what made me mad was that she charged so much money and did NOTHING! I’m not kidding either when I say she did nothing, she didn’t even come over to the table he was laying on to look at him she just sat at her desk and called the insurance company. The insurance company couldn’t understand her because she barely spoke english so she handed me the phone but I had no clue what she was trying to do. They wouldn’t even get him ice for his foot, my mom had to run back to the bar and get some ice in a paper towel to put on his foot while we waited for someone to take him to the hospital. While we were there a man from Toronto came in with his son who had a cut that needed stitches. My mom had some dermabond back at the room so she went with him to fix the little boys cut so they wouldn’t have to go through what we were going through. Turns out that man was an er physician and he was going to splint dads foot if we could find an ace bandage and some splinting material but they had nothing. I’m just so glad to be home and I hope I’ll get my lost baggage back. It had a giant seashell we bought in it and my beer stein ๐Ÿ™

Jasmine
                Participant

I saw the pics on FB, looks like you and Alyssa had a great time. I’m so sorry for your dad though.

Laurie
                  Participant

My dad just called and said they doctor here made him a new cast and gave him a boot to go over it. They said it will heal and he doesn’t need surgery which is good. My lost luggage just showed up but they beat it to hell so I have to file a claim so they can replace it. At least all my stuff was in it but you can tell they went through it. If anyone wants to see all the pictures I have them on facebook but you have to be my friend to see them. If you send me a friend request make sure you write windstone on there somewhere or else I will deny it. If I don’t know who someone is I won’t friend them. The link is under my avatar image as my home webpage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.