fbpx

Journey West

Home Forums Miscellany Community Journey West

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

I am currently in Fort Collins CO, trying to decide where to live. I drove here from Chicago 3 days ago and I am staying with cousins. I have a meeting with a potential employer in the film business tomorrow in Denver. My original idea was to drive another thousand miles to San Francisco and then go to LA. I don’t have any concrete job lined up but I have a few good contacts in LA. Colorado is beautiful but LA is known for movies obviously. So I am hoping things go well with this meeting tomorrow, unless I am really destined for California. Anyways I am having an exciting cross country adventure.

Lupuslunae
      Participant

Northern CA is lovely, we have everything…but I’m biased since I live here. But unless you have deep pockets, don’t expect to live too close to SF! BART will be your best buddy.

I would stay in denver. I have been there, and it is amazing. The mountains in the distance are so pretty, and you just gotta love the prarie dog things all over the feilds in the brush. They are so cute!
        You should check out the Cave of Winds while you are there..if you like that sort of thing. The zoo is pretty cool to. You can feed the giraffes.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Bodine
        Participant

I think it would decide on the climate I wanted to live in.Both have their own advantages.
          I heard Louisiana is now the number one state for filming movies. :bigsmile: Have a wonderful adventure and good luck with your future endeavors.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Heather
          Participant

Cost of living in CA being what it is, you’re better off in Denver! California is really expensive: food, fuel, housing, everything. If your work requires you to be near a big city, and you don’t want a long communte, then you’re going to be looking at high housing costs for not much of a house. It’s hard to find work out here too, and the businesses know it: the wages do not keep up with cost of living and some businesses take rank advantage of their employees because there’s always another person desperate enough to take the job even if it does pay peanuts. It really stinks to see your entire paycheck go for housing, food, and gas with nothing set aside for the future. Don’t get caught like that!

Denver is less expensive but still has the benefits of a large city. Plus the sense of community seems to be a lot stronger out there. Think of it this way: Denver is a much better place to start out. In a few years, if it’s not working out the way you thought it would, you can always move to CA. You’ll have more money in the bank and a better standing in your profession, making you a stronger competitor for the work and better able to choose where you want to live. It’s always better to negotiate from a position of strength. 🙂

KaytanaPhoenix
            Participant

I live in Colorado (spend most of my time in Loveland, about 15mins south of Ft Co) and personally couldn’t imagine living anywhere else! Only prob is you’re visiting in Spring, otherwise known as Colorados bi-polar weather season… somehow it doesn’t grasp what spring should be, so it randomly uses all the other seasons at once, lol… if you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask! 🙂

Adaneth
              Participant

Northern California is lovely, but I agree with Barrdwing, as I have most of my family out there now. Cost of living, taxes, congestion in the cities – AWFUL. San Diego is very nice, but LA…I’m sure Melody could chime in, but I know I wouldn’t want to spend most of my life sitting on a 7-lane highway trying to commute to an underpaid job. :O

I’ll admit the farmer’s markets and local produce in California is really very, very nice, however. From the perspective of my 3-month summer in Minnesota, which is even shorter than Chicago’s growing season.

I hope you’re able to find a great place to live, wherever you go!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

According to my friends in CO, the farmer’s markets are pretty rockin’ tacos there, too. 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Heather
                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your input. I have loved my stay in Colorado. The meeting I had yesterday went well but they are not hiring atm. I have this taste for adventure and I have decided to continue west. I have friends to stay with in San Francisco and I have always wanted to see that city. I am going to take 80 west through Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and then CA. I have worked in the film business in Chicago for 9 years, so thankfully I am making this trip with experience under my belt. I am thankful for my Windstone family and Will keep you guys updated if you’d like me to.

Lupuslunae
                    Participant

And adventure you shall have! Plenty in SF, and when you get to feel like roaming, Oakland, Berkeley, Napa if you’re a wine person, Sacramento, and then further south to Santa Cruz, Monterey, and the most beautiful place in the world: Big Sur.

Kiya
                      Participant

You could consider Portland… I can’t say much for the weather, but we’re getting a lot of filming and video work in the city these days. If you like farmer’s markets, they can’t be beat, and everyone loves the environment! (And Indy bands… apparently…)

Plus, you know, it’s like 2 hours from the factory…

Bodine
                        Participant

One day,when I’m a lot older I’m sure,we plan on taking a driving trip like that to west coast.I hope you have a great trip and things turn out for the best wherever you plant your feet.Drive safe.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Melody
                          Keymaster

Don’t move to LA. It is awful.

chibishiro12
                            Participant

Don’t move to LA. It is awful.

I can second that. I have been living in Long Beach for college, and let me tell you, I never want to be any closer to LA than I am right now. I hate the traffic, the smog, the smell, the lack of parking, the confusing road structure, . . .

I suppose some people get used to it, but I can’t wait to move somewhere else after graduating this semester. 🙂

Looking for-
                              red fire young dragon
                              old animal line frog, wolf, barn owl, tortoise, tiger cub

Lesley
                              Participant

I second the Portland idea! Love it here 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.