fbpx

J.R.R. Tolkien – Children of Hurin

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion J.R.R. Tolkien – Children of Hurin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone, I just picked up this book.
    I read an article about it and how his son finished the 100 year long work
    and published it with little to no editing involved.
    I’m so excited to read it.
    Has any one else read it yet? Any reviews?
    Anyone else interested in Tolkien work?

~Safyre~

Pegasi1978
    Participant

I got bored at the end of my senior year of high school (1996) and my dad tossed me his old copy of “The Hobbit” to read. After that I devored the rest of the LotR books. I picked up a copy of “The Silmarillian” at one point, but couldn’t ever make it through it. That’s when I stopped reading Tolkien. Haven’t ready anything by him since. Will probably re-read “The Hobbit” and the LorR books someday, but I have other books I’m interested in right now.

Starbreeze
      Participant

I ordered it, but I haven’t gotten it yet. I’ve read most of Tolkien’s books. πŸ˜€

Maria
        Participant

Oh that’s right, that’s out now! Thanks for the reminder, Safyre. I’ll pick it up when I’m in town again. I have – and have read – most of Tolkien’s writings. But Harper Collins has a paperback series out with something like a dozen books in it. I only have the first two of that, and I’m not sure what the others are. Anyway, I can’t get them over here.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Harper Collins has a paperback series out with something like a dozen books in it. I only have the first two of that, and I’m not sure what the others are. Anyway, I can’t get them over here.

Why not?? (I’m not familiar with the work)

Maria
          Participant

Well, maybe I can. I just haven’t seen them for sale anywhere, but I guess I could have them ordered. I’d need to look into it.

So I finished his book (a while ago). I wanted to say… Nothing spectacular. Typical Tolkien. And the ending, well, isn’t really an ending because this is the beginning, right? They give you a nice geneology that’s impossible to follow to see how it all connects. There are a lot of books in between here and Lord of the Rings, though to fill in the blanks. πŸ™‚ It does gets a little Star-Wars-esque there for a while, but overall I liked it.
            ~S

Maria
            Participant

And I still haven’t bought it! Shows how often I go shopping. πŸ˜• Thanks for the reminder though, safyre.

Starbreeze
              Participant

I have it, but I still haven’t had a chance to read it. πŸ™‚

I have been a fan of Tolkien since childhood. One of my other obsessions that I picked up a few years before Windstone and probably at least a part of the reason I became interested in Windstone, dragons, etc. I have read everything JRR ever put out but sadly I have not had the time to get out and purchase the new one yet. I expect it to be somewhat anti-climactic after The Hobbit and LOTR but will be happy to add it to my collection and list of his works I have read. He was an incredible writer and visionary that was either ahead or way behind his time.

Maria
                Participant

Oi. I still haven’t been shopping. πŸ˜• I hope this thread keeps getting bumped up and reminding me… πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
                  Participant

I’ll remind you GB πŸ˜‰

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.