fbpx

It's been a long time ….

Home Forums Miscellany Community It's been a long time ….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kelly
    Participant

Hello everyone. I’ve been away for quite a while due to some serious health issues. I don’t know how many people will remember me here. I see there are a ton of new members here, Hello and welcome to the forum.
      I’m posting because I’d like some advice. I have been having a hard time getting back to my old self. See I had been diagnosed with brain cancer and under went brain surgery last fall. I’m fortunate that the surgeon was amazing and got it all, now I’m on the recovery end.
      I used to be so creative and want to paint and draw. I lack the drive to do so now and it saddens me to no end. I have a few PYO’s still in their boxes to be painted and I have the want and will to paint them just no drive or motivation to do so. And that’s where I’m asking your advice comes in, can anyone recommend any possible solutions?
      On a positive note, I’ve come here and lurked around while I was out of commission and the beautiful PYO’s you’ve all painted and all the test paints, EBAY sales, and new additions to the store has given me hope and positive feelings.
      Thanks in advance for anything you all can come up with.

Kelsey
      Participant

What if you just get everything ready and start painting you might just fall into it.

I find sometimes I to get into a “funk”! I want to paint, feel passionate but can’t find the drive. My best solution is to get out my paints, pick out a PYO or a canvas and simply start…. I get lost in it. Creativity comes back and I am immersed in my world and it all starts to flow. It takes stubbornness and determination to beat the funk but from what you have been through and overcome…. You have both of those in spades!! ๐Ÿ™‚ pick out a piece, grab your paints and you may be surprised to find your passion simply waiting for you to remember her!

jmoore
        Participant

Hello! I am relatively new here, but I had to chime in and say I am glad to hear your surgery went well and you are on the mend! Any surgery is scary, but I can’t imagine going through brain surgery.

I am not an artist at all, but I have a good friend who has been a novelist for many years. She always gives the adivce to other aspiring authors to write every day, whether you feel like it or not. Make it a habit. So, maybe it would work for you? Even if you just get a sketch pad out and draw something – anything – every day, maybe you will start to look forward to the “art” part of your day and your old drive will start up again. Your brain has been through a serious trauma and it needs to rebuild those old connections.

I hope for the best for you in your recovery!

Lauren
          Participant

Welcome back! Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly and you’re recovering. ๐Ÿ™‚

I find that for me, sometimes the best way to find inspiration is to turn on some good music and let that set a mood for me. Or, sometimes the day will just feel so good in terms of weather I can’t help but feel the need to draw. Sometimes I find someone else’s art that really inspires me, and admire that for a while, or see if I can’t mimic their style. What used to inspire you before your diagnosis?

But honestly, the best way to get yourself doing art, or any creative endeavor, is to just do it. Do anything: draw a doodle in your margins, do some thumbnail sketches, play with colors, do some speed life sketches. And just do that as much as you can, as often as you can, to force yourself past those tough points and keep the skills fresh for yourself so that when the inspiration does finally strike you, you aren’t impeded by the rust. Just produce something, anything. If you feel that you don’t want to use the PYOs because you don’t have inspiration yet, then maybe some good old paper you don’t mind wasting. The important thing is to just try.

Bodine
            Participant

Hey there! I am glad to see you back.I remember you! ๐Ÿ˜€
              Congrats on beating the mean ole C.THAT is an amazing feat in itself.I am sorry you had to deal with it but now watch you shine ๐Ÿ˜‰ I agree with the other members,pick up your favorite pyo you have,paints and pick up a brush.I believe it will all come back.I mean just look what you have done already. You did an amazing thing and you are a survivor,shows you do not give up.Lift your chin,smile,lift your spirits and have at it.Have fun with it or if not today,tomorrow,but you will. Never give up,never surrender.Hugz! :bigsmile:

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Kelly
              Participant

Thanks for all the advice you guys. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have tried listening to music and it does alter my mood. I think I could try the making it a habit I’m not sure how much time a day I can devote to it but a few minutes is better than none I’m sure. As far as painting my PYO’s I don’t want to mess them up I no doubt am very rusty and I wasn’t that great to begin with ha, ha. I might start with paper and find some cheap sculpts to start on. there’s a Christmas tree shop near by they usually have stepping stones they sell fairly cheap. I may find a couple to play on.

Lauren
                Participant

Yeah, I think the important thing right now is to find some things you’re not afraid to play with and take chances on. Definitely the better thing to do is draw/paint than not draw, yes, even five minutes a day will make a big difference in the long run. ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep with it with the music, and maybe try different kinds of music. Upbeat pop one time, jazz stuff the next, techno/dance one time, perhaps something purely instrumental the next. I find that things without lyrics are some of the best background filler. Actually, I’d highly recommend something like E.S. Postumous or even the background music for movies. If you don’t own anything like that, though, and don’t want to drop any cash, you can always try out free radio services like Pandora or the like which will help you discover new stuff similar to things you already like.

dragonmedley
                  Participant

It’s great to hear from you! I’m glad you’re better ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll say the same as everyone else: take out that PYO (you won’t mess it up!) and give it just a bit of color here and there. Some days, you’ll paint for 10 minutes, and others, for an hour.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Heya!!! Welcome HOME!!!! You’ve been missed = can ya tell??? :bigsmile:

twindragonsmum :bigsmile:

tdm

I agree on the music. I very rarely have my radio off in my house and so much quiet when I work drives me crazy. Another good places that I like to look for for smaller things to paint is Ann’s Ceramics. They are certified through paypal and have a flat shipping rate for anything under $50, so you can really get a lot of little things without shipping biting at ya. They have everything from tea cups to dragons to well just about everything in lots of sizes and shapes.

Another thing I do to help with cognitive stuff with my brain fog (not sure if this applies) from my my health complications is to sometimes on my more awake days, get online and find some type of game similar to tetris or bejewled and play that a little bit each day. As weird as it may sound, it does seem help a little bit. It was recommended by a gal in my support group as it helps her, so I tried it. It is a bit more of a change from like crosswords and stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope this helps! I am glad your surgery went well, that is great and very enlightening to hear! Good health, blessings and happiness to you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Kim
                      Blocked

Wow, you have been through a lot! Sorry to hear about the cancer but that is great you were able to have surgery and are now recovering! To help boost my brain and creativity, I use a lot of apps on my phone or games on my computer with puzzles and brain teasers and IQ test type games, matching and memory games as well. I read, draw, paint, sing and dance as well to try and keep my creativity going. For pyos though I was really intimidated to paint any until the swaps came up when I finally painted two pieces I have had for a while. I just finished the one. I have a hard time painting anything from my memory or imagination so I find I have to look at pictures or colours or designs of things to picture in my mind what I want to paint. If I find a picture of something or some colours I like looking that that I can picture myself painting onto a pyo, then I look at the pyo and think where I want the colours and designs to go. Once I have a visual in my mind of what to do, I think what is easiest to start with and then start painting either keeping that in mind or looking at the pictures for reference as I go. I always forget to listen to music but I have heard that baroque classical music inspires creativity as well. I tend to prefer quiet with no distractions but it depends what you like. I am more of a visual and kinesthetic person than an auditory learner. I often do not even hear anything around me when I am focused on something. I also look a lot at animals and plants out in nature for ideas on things to draw and paint and take lots of pictures of things I want to paint so maybe that could help you as well if you are a visual learner at all.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.