fbpx

Intense major BUCKSKIN Sqeeeeeak! Please!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Intense major BUCKSKIN Sqeeeeeak! Please!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Thank you! I can’t wait to get her here… Two more weeks!

Think of horse coat colors the same as people… They come in different shades… Just as blondes can be white to brass, palominos can be as light as white to almost black.

This is a palomino, genetically tested, if you can believe it:

PurpleTurtle
      Participant

Wow, never would have guessed that last horse to be a palomino. Never knew that equine coloring worked that way. Too cool 8) . Learn something new everyday 😀 .

Thrippa
        Participant

That is a heck of a sooty (I guess) palomino. I didn’t realize it could make the legs as black as that.

I’d probably have guessed dark chocolate silver (some of them have pretty dark manes and tails) or a very sooty buckskin. Or maybe a – drat, what’s the term? – a single cream gene under black. (Hmmm, cremello, perlino, palomino, buckskin . . . sigh )

Andrea
          Participant

Nope. She was tested ee crCr… Just a sooty palamino… I don’t remember her agouti status, but it doesn’t matter with the ee.
            I’ll see if I can find some foal pictures…

etruscan
            Participant

I thought that grulla was a variation on the palomino, or that you could get a grulla colt when trying to breed for a palomino, but maybe the horse books I read as a kid were wrong (it was a long time ago).
              I think a buckskin Pegasus would be terrific,especially with dark wings to go with the black points.

Thrippa
              Participant

Etruscan, the old thinking was that palomino was a variation of the claybank (or red dun) the same as buckskin was a variation of yellow dun. This actually makes a bit of sense when you realize that there are a certain number of non-flaxen palominos, whose manes and tails are the same gold as their bodies. So yes, there are a lot of older books out there that say palominos are part of the Dun group. One of the reasons palominos were notoriously difficult to breed was that breeders were lumping dun, cream, and (in some breeds) champagne genes, and trying to treat them as a single set of colors. So many breeders would breed, say, a dun horse to a palomino, and then you might end up with a grulla, if both parents carried black. Or perhaps the palomino parent might be a linebacked palomino, AKA palomino dun.

Currently, the duns (zebra, yellow, red, blue, claybank, etc) are recognized as separate from the buckskin/palomino/cremello/smoky (ha! I remembered) and both are separate from the champagnes, and of course the new genetic tests help a lot – as the palomino above so dramatically demonstrates. There are also one or two other genes they think may be overlapping as far as visual appearance goes. But there are still confusing terms like the fact that the American Buckskin Society registering duns, and grullas also being called ‘blue buckskin’.

PhoenixTears
                Participant

Funny you should mention it and as your first post too! But I was also thinking black wings with some kind of interference (so they aren’t identical to the mane and tail), would be an awesome contrast for a Buckskin Pegasus. However, I’ll bow to the master (mistress?… well, you know what I mean) and say she can do what ever she finds most appealing cause I know my cousin will be thrilled beyond belief if there are store Buckskin hoofers. Now, if that happens, we just have to keep her blood pressure under control! At least it’d be a positive spike 😀

I sent you some photos Melody, one of a series of batches from a private collection. I don’t know if you are getting my emails from her address. I know sometimes AOL can be temperamental and we sometimes don’t receive emails and others don’t get them from us. Depends what side of the bed AOL woke up on that day.

“Fate whispers to the wolf, you cannot withstand the storm; and the wolf whispers back, I AM the storm.”

etruscan
                  Participant

Thrippa, Thanks for the palomino update. I have been reading the posts on equine colors/genetics with great interest in this and another thread, but it was evident that my knowledge of palomino coloring was as outdated as my knowledge of Windstone. As in – oh, they make more than just my hatching tortoise and the hatching protoceratops I wanted when it came out (but it was too expensive …). Obviously I have a lot of catching up to do on several subjects!

PhoenixTears
                    Participant

I’ll never let this thread die! Mwahha! But seriously Melody, with the Buckskin Kirins being on ebay at the moment, you know I’m going to squeak for any equine related Buckskin to come along (which is kirin related as the oriental unicorn). I’d even squeak for a Buckskin flap cat but the reason behind that is too confusing to explain (and rather personal to do on the forum; it’s not my info to share publicly). Can’t wait for them to go into the store (oh please?!)

“Fate whispers to the wolf, you cannot withstand the storm; and the wolf whispers back, I AM the storm.”

Melody wrote:

Do buckskins have to have jet black tails and manes? All duns aren’t buckskins , but are all bucksins dun?
                      Duns often have lighter margins on their long haired areas, which is why I like them as a possible production color, any sharp color change, such as between the mane, tail, and body color is a pain to do in production. That is why I decided not to try doing bays.
                      Ever see a champagne horse? They look like light duns, but the skin under their hair is bright pink, almost fushia. A friend of ours had one.

Duns are amazing, and that’d look really nice on several of the pieces. I had an old quarter horse that was a dun, and man he was flashy. Had the dorsal stripe and stripes on his legs too. Shone like a copper penny in the summertime.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.