IMPORTANT: Eye Sockets on PYO – READ BEFORE PAINTING

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone IMPORTANT: Eye Sockets on PYO – READ BEFORE PAINTING

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

From Susie:
        We thought we had solved the tight eye socket problem, however it has not gone away altogether. All of the glass eyes are not exactly the same size, and all of the eye sockets are not exactly the same size, making it possible for you to have difficulty (especially) with the Metallic Teal, Metallic Periwinkle, and Medium Blue eyes fitting into the PYO #X550 Dragon and #X925 Ki-rin. Before you begin painting, you might want to try the eyes out in your PYO to make sure they fit, and when painting take care to keep paint thin inside the socket and on eyelid edges so as not to make the socket even smaller. You may expand the eye socket by scraping it out a little to allow the eye to fit better. If you have eyes that do not fit, we will be glad to send you a new thinner pair in a different color. We are attempting to have some thinner eyes available in the colors mentioned, however we haven’t got them yet. And if you are ordering one of the three problem colors, you can order a second color of eyes as a fall back color in case your first choice does not fit. Please contact me if you are having a horrible time with them. We apologize for this inconvenience.

From Jennifer:
        Now that PYOs are coming without their eyes already glued in, some people are experiencing problems with eyes getting stuck in the sockets (before you are ready for them to be there permanently!).
        Even once Windstone has new, thinner eyes, there is always a chance for this to happen. If you are like me, you like to test the eyes in the PYO to see how they look before you’re finished. Or perhaps you want to test different colors with your paint scheme. All very understandable! But Windstone products are still hand made, even though they are cast from the same molds, and there can be tiny variances in them even on the best day. There is always a chance that your eye will get stuck in the socket, and let me tell you I have sheared the faces off of PYOs in the past just trying to get a stuck eye out!

Some guidelines to help you!

To test an eye:

– If you want to test an eye to see how it works, try simply holding it up in place, without actually placing it into the socket. I use a pair of long needle nose pliers do do this so my fingers aren’t in the way.
          – I have gone so far as to cut a round piece of paper, paint it quickly with the color, and put that in the eye socket to see what it looks like. Paper is easy to fish out again!
          – If the eye seems tight going in, you probably cannot get it out again even using the methods below. MAKE SURE YOU ARE OKAY WITH THAT EYE COLOR FOREVER!

If you have an eye stuck:

– Don’t panic! And don’t try to dig it out with force. This could break the Windstone. I speak from experience! Wedging a toothpick in there to try and wiggle it out is a bad idea.
          – Try rotating your PYO every which way while gently wiggling or shaking the piece. I will often rotate the PYO upside down and tilt it every way while gently tapping at the eye with my finger now and then. Often this works to roll an eye out.
          – Use a piece of modeling clay or something similarly ‘sticky’ and soft (blue sticky tak stuff would work too.. or.. bubble gum! Don’t get this on the PYO though!) and smoosh it against the eye, then gently lift the eye out. You may have to do it at a strange angle, such as pulling ‘down’ then ‘up’. It can take some fussing. (thanks for the tip, Bodine!)
          – If none of those work, take a deep breath and go have some comfort food. Does the eye look so bad? Hmm. It might be there for good…
        Melody wrote:

If an eye fits tightly it’ll be nearly impossible to remove it again though, so be sure that is the eye you want before you try it!

If you have an eye that won’t go into the socket at all:

– If the eye is just too large or is somehow malformed to where it won’t fit into the socket, please contact Susie at Windstone Editions! We will replace the eye for you. You shouldn’t have to force it.

[/][/][/]

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Stephanie
        Participant

*Note* sometimes if an eye won’t come out, I have used water and it seemed to help. I have done this more than once. Its like the eye “floats” out of the eye socket. Just another idea!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Thank you for the tip! 🙂

Cynthia
            Participant

I’ve got an eye that will not come out after trying the suggestions. Now that the piece has been painted I want to glue it in so it stays put and does not wiggle around. How about Super glue in a tuberculin syringe inserted under the eye?

Jennifer
              Participant

What’s the best glue to use for the eyes? I’m getting my refund soon and I want to get one but I had trouble with wiggling eyes in the past and my keep still has one eye that wiggles a bit

Zelda
                Participant

Plain old white glue (like Elmer’s) has worked well for me. It is a good consistency to partially absorb into the gypsum stone of the PYO while enough stays on the surface to establish a good bond with the glass. Super glues or nail glues are often so thin that they soak entirely into the statue, and they, along with other glues, turn yellow over time. White glue should stay relatively stable over the long term so long as it isn’t exposed to being soaked in water, or crazy high humidity.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

I also recommend white glue over super glue for the reasons mentioned above. The official pieces I’ve done for Windstone use white glue to glue in the eyes.

I use E6000 Medium Viscosity Clear. You can get at several stores. The only thing with this glue is….it is permanent! With the elmers/white glue you can soak the eye with some warm water and remove the eyes and swap em out. E6000 not so much! I find that it really gives a fantastic bond and there is a fairly decent working time with it. It bonds really well to the gypsum. This is only my opinion and what I use of course. Like Jen said, windstone used a white/elmers so that is definitely tested, tried and true.

Tara
                    Participant

I now use Aleene’s tacky glue. It’s a white craft glue though it’s comes in multiple variations.I often use the clear gel variation on Windstones as it dries totally clear and doesn’t leave a cloudiness if it gets on the visible part of the eye or gem. It can be purchased at Michael’s or pretty much anywhere that sells basic craft supplies like Walmart.

I started using Aleene’s tacky glue instead of regular white glue for things after I successfully fixed my Mom’s resin candle holder with it. We had tried just about everything on it(super glue, china weld, white glue, modeling glue, but the most effective was double sided carpet tape) and were lucky if the wing held for a couple months. It’s been a few years and the wing tip is still on there so I’ve decided I like it better than regular white glue.

Hey everyone!

I just received my “Hipp” PYO in the mail; The eye size is definitely 4mm, not 5mm. (At least on mine) Anyone who orders any hand-cast eyes from me for this PYO in a size 5mm, they may end up being too big. I am just letting everyone know, okay? Thank you!

Susie
                      Keymaster

oh dear, Dreaming Tree, I may have told you it was 5 instead of 4… we have so many eyeballs its easy to get mixed up. My apologies.

StormDancer
                        Participant

I know that I had stated they were 5mm in my PYO thread as that is what the description on their sale page states they are. And the ones I received with mine fit perfectly. I just assumed that they were 5’s. I am sorry if I added to any confusion.

Looking for:
                          "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Pam

Hippocampi have 4mm eyes. The store description is incorrect. I will fix this. Our 5mm eyes should not fit..

Nightcrow
                            Participant

I now use Aleene’s tacky glue. It’s a white craft glue though it’s comes in multiple variations.I often use the clear gel variation on Windstones as it dries totally clear and doesn’t leave a cloudiness if it gets on the visible part of the eye or gem. It can be purchased at Michael’s or pretty much anywhere that sells basic craft supplies like Walmart.

I started using Aleene’s tacky glue instead of regular white glue for things after I successfully fixed my Mom’s resin candle holder with it. We had tried just about everything on it(super glue, china weld, white glue, modeling glue, but the most effective was double sided carpet tape) and were lucky if the wing held for a couple months. It’s been a few years and the wing tip is still on there so I’ve decided I like it better than regular white glue.

Tacky Glue is awesome stuff! I’ve used it for gems and eyes, and also for a number of repair jobs on broken fragile things – it’s so nice because it retains some flexibility even when it’s dry, so things don’t snap apart again the minute some minor stress is put on the join.

The trick is to follow the directions and let the glue sit for ~20 seconds before pressing the pieces together.

Aleene’s also makes a handy glue called Jewel It, which is meant for fabric but I have used on other surfaces as well – it’s basically waterproof-when-dry Tacky Glue.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.