fbpx

if a frickin crazy ebay seller put nail polish on my dragon, what can I do?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody if a frickin crazy ebay seller put nail polish on my dragon, what can I do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lupuslunae
    Participant

I bought a jade oriental adult dragon; it had some slight damage, I was okay with that because it was a real steal. Psycho ebay seller painted over the damage terribly, painting over whole scales in an attempt to hide fleabites. And the more and more I look at the big screwed-up spot, the more it looks like frickin nail polish. Is there any safe way to get this junk off my dragon?

dragonmedley
      Participant

First, I would try good ol’ hot water and soap – you never know!

If that doesn’t work, I would then use a q-tip and nail polish remover – but go really, really gently in order to only remove the nail polish and not to damage the paint.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lupuslunae
        Participant

I already tried some warm water, I figured if she/he/IT used an acrylic paint I could coaxe it off quite easily. But the two scales IT painted are like shiny now, shiny and slick and not coming off at all.

I thought about nail polish remover and was hoping someone could tell me if that is safe to put on gypsum. Dare I hope, has anyone ever had this problem before?

Kiya
          Participant

I’m pretty sure in one of the threads about removing horns, some one used nail polish. In small quantities, I don’t think it will hurt the gypsum, but it WILL kill the paint.

Lupuslunae
            Participant

Also, does it matter what type of nail polish remover? Acetone or non-acetone remover?

briteblades
              Participant

Non-acetone is gentler, I would go with that.

Kujacker
                Participant

I’ve used aetone to remove the eyes (when they would come glued in pyos) and horns before. Also paint when I’ve wanted to strip something. Only a small amount was needed for the eyes. Many light layers to very slowly remove paint. I never damaged any of the stone, but others have made arguments that acetone will damage gypsum.

Lupuslunae
                  Participant

I never damaged any of the stone, but others have made arguments that acetone will damage gypsum.

Thanks for sharing your experience with using polish remover on gypsum. I am hoping Melody or someone in the know can further elaborate on this?

I am just so grumpy at this seller right now, I touched up the flea bites so damn easily, the gold and reddish bronze of the fur was so nice and easy to match and blend and the greens weren’t too terrible, he looks frickin great except for his nail polished scales. If they would have just left him alone, I’d have a new jade fixed and happy dragon snuggling up with the rest of my oriental collection right now.

Pam

Did the seller “fix” him after you bought him?

Lupuslunae
                      Participant

Did the seller “fix” him after you bought him?

indeed =P

Ayonah
                        Participant

🙁

Melody
                          Keymaster

If you wish to keep this dragon, acetone will take off both the nail polish and jade paint. I can send you some jade touch up paint if you would like, but it will be difficult to make it appear as smooth as the original paint.
                            (I would raise Hell about this!)

Tara
                            Participant

Since it was done after the fact you could report not as described… and see if you can get some money back.

Kiya
                              Participant

Would it be possible to lightly sand off the icky paint, then paint over with new jade paint, then clear coat the heck out of it?

Also, what about sending it to Kyrin/drag0n/one of the other repair gurus? You might be able to hit up the seller for the repair costs since they messed it up.

Lupuslunae
                                Participant

If you wish to keep this dragon, acetone will take off both the nail polish and jade paint. I can send you some jade touch up paint if you would like, but it will be difficult to make it appear as smooth as the original paint.
                                  (I would raise Hell about this!)

I have contacted the seller and am giving him/her/it a chance to offer some restitution. This was an ebay seller just to be clear, name of lechicrepeats01 so people can avoid this sort of dishonesty. Here’s a link to the auction, you can see how minimal the damage was before this freak “fixed” it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130614189737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I do want to keep him though, I’ve fixed his little fleabites that weren’t nail polished painted over and my other dragons have seen him, and it’s hard to take someone away when they’ve been introduced to the hoarde.

I would LOVE some jade touch-up paint. I mixed two close-but-not-quite colors I used for other damaged areas, but it always gets to me when I get pretty-damn-close-but-not-quite-there with color matching. And it would be wonderful since I will have to repaint two big scales on his display side. Thanks so much :bigsmile:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.