fbpx

Identify Puppies EDIT

Home Forums Miscellany Community Identify Puppies EDIT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

Can anyone tell me what breed these puppies are?

I was scanning someone in the spare room when I caught a glimpse of these two in our yard. The tan one let me touch her and pick her up after I cornered her in our garage. The black one ran from my dad, and I had to sit outside and just wait for him to come to me by himself.
      Both were very wary of us. Barking like bloody hell when we tried getting close to them… but they aren’t feral or they wouldn’t have come close to us at all.
      The tan one especially is absolutely full of burrs and pokey things. If anyone knows the desert, you know what can get caught in fur.

Loose animals are NOT common thing around this town.

They are in the back room right now, and my dad made a lost puppies sign… but we really don’t know what to do. It’s even more of a concern because of my ferrets. Ferrets can pick up some dog illnesses/diseases which can and will kill them… so without knowing if anything was vaccinated they have to stay in the back room and we have to wash our hands every time we touch the puppies.

What should we do? My dad doesn’t want to call the pound for obvious reasons… but we’re at a loss..

Kujacker
      Participant

I have no clue what breed they might be. They are cute lil buggers! ๐Ÿ™‚

That is awful that you just found them wondering around. Poor babies. I think your dad is doing the right thing posting signs. If you still can’t find their owners I would suggest taking them to a vet. I found a black lab once and couldn’t find its owner. I took it to my vet and they found him a home.

If the vet will not take them I would find a no kill shelter or a dog rescue. They are so cute! I don’t think it would be hard to find them a home.

Anonymous

They are VERY cute thats for sure…. They do look like they have some Chow in them… The tan one even has the wave in his/her tail and the really dense coat…. the black one looks like he/she has purple on the tongue.

Maybe you can find a NO Kill adoption center in your area? ๐Ÿ˜•

Let us know what happens!

Skeeterdeee
          Participant

I would say Chow of some sort, too. The teddy bear faces and black tongue give it away. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kujacker
            Participant

skeeterdeee wrote:

I would say Chow of some sort, too. The teddy bear faces and black tongue give it away. ๐Ÿ™‚

That was my first thought when I saw the tan one. However the black one isn’t very fuzzy at all. I don’t know anything about chows, but I thought they ALL were pretty poofy?

Skeeterdeee
              Participant

Aren’t Chows the only breed that has a black tongue? Maybe they are mixed with another breed and the tan one just got more of the Chow’s look? Maybe Chow and Lab?

Wampus Dragon
                Participant

Those are chow mixes for sure, between the black tongue and the fact that one looks almost like a pure chow pup. cute.

Rachel
                  Participant

I’m not entirely convinced that these guys are necessarily a chow mix, though it is possible given the body type of the brown one and the dark spot on the black one’s tongue (chow’s aren’t the only breed with black spots on their tongues). I would guess some sort of shepherd, collie, or heeler mix, based on the black one, and shepherd mix and/or chow mix based on the brown one. Even the black tongue spotting might indicate a collie/heeler/shepherd mix.
                    http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/BlackTongueDebate.htm

siberakh1
                    Participant

The Chinese Shar-Pei also have the blue-black tongue in their breed standard, however, there are other breeds that can develop blue-black markings on their tongue. Chow pups are born with pink tongues, which change as they get older, and some chows in diluted colorations (like cinnamon) can lose the pigment in their older years. You can have markings on tongues in many different breeds (ie. you could have a Cocker Spaniel or a Siberian Husky with a spotted tongue and have them be completely purebred and of show quality). Think of the markings like birthmarks.

My guess is also chow/mix or spitz-type/mix (chows are a spitz type breed). One litter mate not having the fluff just shows the variety in a litter with parents of two different breeds/mixes.

Diana L
                      Participant

Whatever breed these two are, I’m with Griffinlover that they are so cute and should have no trouble being adopted. I do hope someone in the meantime responds to the lost puppy signs and wants them back. The other suggestions are just perfect about a no kill shelter and/or rescue group….chow rescue???

I’m thinking Akita/Chow Mix. Some Akitas have shorter, and denser coats. The tail, description also fits. Both breeds can be aloof in nature, and that can be reflected in the pups as well.
                        It sounds to me, like someone has dumped these two cuties. They are in too good of condition to be strays. I’ll bet, that no-one will come forward, indicating that they were dumped.

I’m sure, that being so young, that they will be re-homed without problems.

Kujacker
                        Participant

Dreaming Tree Studio wrote:

I’m thinking Akita/Chow Mix. Some Akitas have shorter, and denser coats. The tail, description also fits. Both breeds can be aloof in nature, and that can be reflected in the pups as well.
                          It sounds to me, like someone has dumped these two cuties. They are in too good of condition to be strays. I’ll bet, that no-one will come forward, indicating that they were dumped.

I’m sure, that being so young, that they will be re-homed without problems.

My dad suspects they were dumped. He said two days ago he saw two boys (teens?) emerge from our wash (we live one house away from a large, LARGE wash… so we always see what goes on down there) and get in their car and drive away. These puppies were going toward the wash when I saw them, though that doesn’t mean they didn’t go up the street before coming back down. The black one retreated to the side of our neighbors house… which is where the wash begins. It seemed like he felt safe there and always ran back into it when we approached him.
                          We’ll see. The idea of abandoning a helpless animal (young animal none the less) really gets to me. I know my dog was abandoned (pound dog). He would get so scared when we tried to walk him after getting him. He loves walks now (well, he’s old now… about 12) but I can’t help but wonder if someone just took him for a walk and then tied him up somewhere and left.
                          Makes me so angry.

I agree with Chow/heeler (Australian cattle dog).

dragonmedley
                          Participant

That’s so sad… I’m really glad you guys took them in – we would’ve done the same. They are beautiful and for sure people will be interested to take them in.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.