fbpx

I would like to lament something

Home Forums Miscellany Community I would like to lament something

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

1. I just found out today that one of my favorite horse artists, Judy Renee Pope, died in September due to complications involving a heart surgery. This is so sad and I didn’t even find out until today when…wait for it…

2. I emailed her to ask when the three horse statues I sent her two years ago to be customized and painted would be shipping out to me. I spent over $900 in time-payments over a 7 month period.

Mostly I am greatly saddened by her death because her work is so wonderful and I am surprised she was so sick, I didn’t know how sick she was.

But I am also saddened- to a far far lesser degree- that I spent so much money on something that never came to fruition. I am concerned that I’ll actually be lucky if I even get my horse statues back (Cost of models I sent her alone are $600). Wow, I feel so bad for her friends, family, and roommates. I also feel like a jacka*s because I had no idea and was inquiring about stuff that’s so old and her roommate responded and told me what was going on.

Wow this sucks all around- I feel so bad because she was such a nice person and shouldn’t have left 🙁

Maria
    Participant

This may be callous, but it sounds like there was a serious lack of communication on the part of the artist here. You spent a lot of money on a commission, and now it’s her room mate who tells you she was sick?

Not to mention that two years is quite a long time to spend on a commission, especially considering you had her paid after 7 months. It would be very wrong if you didn’t at least get the models back. I think the commission price should be refunded, too.

Skigod377
      Participant

I understand exactly how you feel Cheryl. My bird just crashed and 5 people died. I still cant help but hope that it was not something I did. In the scheme of things, 5 people are dead. Who cares if I get in trouble or not. I still cant help but be releived when I found out the bird was one we gave them a year ago. I really hope you at least get your resins back. Thats alot of money to lose.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

This may be callous, but it sounds like there was a serious lack of communication on the part of the artist here. You spent a lot of money on a commission, and now it’s her room mate who tells you she was sick?

Not to mention that two years is quite a long time to spend on a commission, especially considering you had her paid after 7 months. It would be very wrong if you didn’t at least get the models back. I think the commission price should be refunded, too.

Not callous- but to clarify she did say she had some medical issues, she did not share with me how extensive they were and that she was having surgery to try to repair her heart. She also told me up front it might take her a year or two to get a commission out the door because she had a lot of them. Model horse painting is not like Windstone painting, those artists have years of backlogged commissions. Her roommate said she would try to find my models and ship them back to me. Regarding the commission price- the money I paid her was likely spent on hospital bills 2 years go. Since she probably didn’t have much of an estate left after being uninsured and paying extensive medical bills I don’t suspect I can request any money back. But I WOULD be happy getting my models back (they alone are worth $600 not counting the $900 in commission work). Like I said, overall sad situation.

I need to go back to Paypal and

skigod377 wrote:

I understand exactly how you feel Cheryl. My bird just crashed and 5 people died. I still cant help but hope that it was not something I did. In the scheme of things, 5 people are dead. Who cares if I get in trouble or not. I still cant help but be releived when I found out the bird was one we gave them a year ago. I really hope you at least get your resins back. Thats alot of money to lose.

I kind of take your view- the loss of her life far exceeds the discomfort of knowing I am out $900 and possibly an additional $600 in models I bought.

Maria
        Participant

CherylKaufman wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Not callous- but to clarify she did say she had some medical issues, she did not share with me how extensive they were and that she was having surgery to try to repair her heart. She also told me up front it might take her a year or two to get a commission out the door because she had a lot of them. Model horse painting is not like Windstone painting, those artists have years of backlogged commissions. Her roommate said she would try to find my models and ship them back to me. Regarding the commission price- the money I paid her was likely spent on hospital bills 2 years go. Since she probably didn’t have much of an estate left after being uninsured and paying extensive medical bills I don’t suspect I can request any money back. But I WOULD be happy getting my models back (they alone are worth $600 not counting the $900 in commission work). Like I said, overall sad situation.

Ah, that information is in her favor. I do feel for her friends and family, but since I don’t know her and I do know you, I’m more interested in seeing you get your models back.

hahaha- I appreciate your bias 😀

Travistie
          Participant

I’m sorry to hear that she passed away. Some of those equine artists just do amazing work, and I know it takes them a long time to do orders. Poor dear… sounds like she had a lot of medical problems.

I do hope you get your horses back though. Those things do cost a lot of money, even without getting them customized. I know that for sure! I can definitely understand why you’d be a little upset about them being gone for so long. I am very attached to my model horses!

Participant

That is a terrible situation all the way around. I do hope you get the models back. I would concur that you’re probably out your commission price though. I can understand her not wanting to broadcast her medical issues, but when they got to that point, she should have told her customers the gist of what was going on.

Ya, I wish I would have known. The only thing I can think of for recovering the cost of the commission is go to Paypal and ask for my money back because all of those were Paypal transactions.

Bah, even worse! Paypal will not refund a single penny of the money because it’s not within 45 days of sending the money. Oh suckage.

Skigod377
              Participant

That is terrible. Dont suppose you paid with CC? Maybe you would be able to claim thru them?

Nope, no credit card, auto bank draft- I may start doing credit card though for all this hell!

Skigod377
                Participant

CCs probably have a time limit, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.