fbpx

I know this is bad….but does anyone else "hide" Windstones from their significant other?????

Home Forums Miscellany Community I know this is bad….but does anyone else "hide" Windstones from their significant other?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Chloe
    Participant

Okay, so here’s the deal. For years I have been “hiding” Windstones from my husband >) …hangs head in shame….

Here is my story:

In our old house we had a small corner glassed-in display cabinet that held three sculpts. My husband never really payed THAT close of attention, so I could swap similar colors in a different sculpt out on him. Well…we moved a couple of years ago and I finally got a larger cabinet. My problem was I got greedy….I displayed too many of my new sculpts (including my griffin) and he got suspicious. :p

Then one day I went to work and a Windstone box arrived (it came a little early). I claimed it as my birthday present, and all was forgiven.

So I started having Windstone deliver to the UPS Store near my house, even though they charge me to pick it up. All is fine….crisis averted. “Honey, you remember, I bought this dragon ages ago, remember? We just didn’t have the room to display it…..” It was working just fine……

My own children busted me on a UPS pick up. ๐Ÿ™ It’s okay, they’re not in trouble. I’m the bad one here….

So hubby starts investigating….and what does he find? You guessed it….lots and lots of brown boxes…..and they all are heavy like something is in them….. 0:) So I’m like a deer in the headlights all of a sudden.

My brilliant husband comes up with the idea that I only need ONE sculpt of each Windstone dragon. He says “Pick a color.” Sigh, me, “…it is not that simple, my love….”

So I do not have to part with near as much as he wants, but unfortunately you will be seeing some things from me for sale here on the classifieds. He already found my original art collection, and has been making me sell them off piecemeal on eBay. ARGHHH!

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone else “fib” (oh, heck, call it what it is, “lie”) to their significant other about their collection????

I hope my new Emperor from a forum member doesn’t come when here’s here…..please please please USPS deliver before 3:45!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Amy
      Participant

Well, I’m happily single, so I can’t say I have that problem…

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems with your collections.

And I may be out of line here (and not realizing what it takes to be married since I’m not) but how can he just tell you what you’re allowed to buy? And force you to sell your art collection on ebay for far undervalue? Those things belong to you. You’re a grown adult, and as long as you’re not in horrible financial shape I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to have some things that you like. I’m sure he has some sort of hobby that he spends money on…

Chloe
        Participant

When you join and live with another person, compromises are a part of daily life in even the little things. In order to have a successful union, there needs to be a give and take. We are not in trouble financially.

I wasn’t asking for sympathy, and I assure you I do stand up for what I want and am an equal partner in our union; I just wondered if anyone else “hid” their collection? Time to share your secrets…. :bigsmile:

briteblades
          Participant

I don’t think this is drama. This is -life-!
            Being married I can totally understand. I’m not practical at all. I am more artsy and free-spirited than my husband. He is logical and very good with money, has a great job and all that jazz.
            I hide stuff from him too! ๐Ÿ˜› He gives me so much crap about getting boxes delivered at the house, haha.
            He doesn’t understand the appeal of these beautiful statues. Well, he recognizes that they are awesome, but doesn’t like the price tag. So to not cause any friction, when I get a new windstone, I will tuck it away somewhere and he doesn’t even notice. He would rather spend money on more practical things and tech stuff ๐Ÿ˜› This is one of my favorite lines, “Aren’t you glad I collect all these amazing fantasy statues and not those expensive bags like Chanel and Louis Vuitton!” That puts things into perspective for awhile.
            Lately, we’ve been talking about it more and I tell him about a purchase I want to make. He’ll roll his eyes playfully, and that’s about it.
            It’s important to be an individual(yourself) in your marriage, but there’s so much give and take. A lot of sacrifices are made! Your husband has been through so much, I can’t even fathom it. What a great inspiration to your family.
            Hope this makes sense as I’m falling asleep! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tara
            Participant

You know you have a problem when you have to hide the “contraband”(as I like to call it). I do it all the time. I try to sneak my shopping downstairs so my parents(I’m living at home) don’t know how much stuff I’m buying. Worse part is I’m better at saying no to the expensive than the junk and at the end of the day I should have just bought the expensive item because it probably would have saved me money. But it’s only $5…. $200 later…. *head desk*

Chloe
              Participant

I am more artsy and free-spirited than my husband. He is logical and very good with money, has a great job and all that jazz.

He’ll roll his eyes playfully, and that’s about it.
                It’s important to be an individual(yourself) in your marriage, but there’s so much give and take. A lot of sacrifices are made! Your husband has been through so much, I can’t even fathom it. What a great inspiration to your family.

He is quite a man!!! And yes, I am free-spirited and very impulsive, whereas he considers every option and consequence.

I can’t wait for the eye-rolling stage! ๐Ÿ˜€ After 18 years we’re almost there….

Chloe
                Participant

*shouldn’t have said “making me sell my art collection on eBay”. He just HIGHLY SUGGESTED that I either find a place for it framed or sell it. We only have so much wall…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chloe
                  Participant

Worse part is I’m better at saying no to the expensive than the junk and at the end of the day I should have just bought the expensive item because it probably would have saved me money. But it’s only $5…. $200 later…. *head desk*

I’ve been there, too!

Bodine
                    Participant

I don’t think this is drama. This is -life-!
                      Being married I can totally understand. I’m not practical at all. I am more artsy and free-spirited than my husband. He is logical and very good with money, has a great job and all that jazz.
                      I hide stuff from him too! ๐Ÿ˜› He gives me so much crap about getting boxes delivered at the house, haha.
                      He doesn’t understand the appeal of these beautiful statues. Well, he recognizes that they are awesome, but doesn’t like the price tag. So to not cause any friction, when I get a new windstone, I will tuck it away somewhere and he doesn’t even notice. He would rather spend money on more practical things and tech stuff ๐Ÿ˜› This is one of my favorite lines, “Aren’t you glad I collect all these amazing fantasy statues and not those expensive bags like Chanel and Louis Vuitton!” That puts things into perspective for awhile.
                      Lately, we’ve been talking about it more and I tell him about a purchase I want to make. He’ll roll his eyes playfully, and that’s about it.
                      Hope this makes sense as I’m falling asleep! ๐Ÿ™‚

You echo my thoughts.
                      I usually get one at a time and usually are smaller boxes so he never really cares…anymore.He did have a problem with it in the beginning and he still does not see the appeal for them I do and the price tags…well,let’s just say I try not to mention that part.LOL He has come around though.I have scattered them about and sorry to say many are packed for the hurricane season here so as long as he is not overwhelmed,he is cool.I have an amazing husband.Besides,I level the playing field.I encouraged him to start collecting coins again and he is a gamer so we have a balancing act.Gives me leverage.heehee He eased up a lot when I told him they are also for me to leave the children and grandchildren a special inheritance from me AND the avg.value of all of them together sure didn’t hurt.THAT helped. ๐Ÿ˜‰ As someone said,at least it is something we love,beautiful art,etc..and not shopping at department stores and such.At the end of the year,look about and smile. :love: I do ๐Ÿ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

I don’t hide them, never did. I have a monthly budget and cumulate the money in my PayPal account. It took time to come up with this option – I did have to say at one point, you like cars and I never say anything about the parts you buy. The PayPal thing came after he made grumbling noise about the price of something, though. I even told him that I wanted my own account so he would stop b*tching about the prices I paid for Windstones. To his “I would never pay this much for a statue”, I retorted “I would never pay this much for a camshaft” – both things ended up costing about the same.

It’s not so much a compromise as acceptance of each other’s passions.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kalandra
                        Participant

Oh 4dragonlove, You made me laugh so!

I have been on the forum for years.. but I rarely post anymore… I just had to chime in on this:

Yes, my children have busted me!

Yes, I do hide my new WS’s from the hubby… I try to plan the shipping around when he will be here.

When he does notice a new WS, I will says something like “Oh thats been here forever, and you just never noticed” ~ It seems to work.

I have an area I display my griffins, dragons, unicorns, and Misc. WS’s.. There are 20 In this display cabinet. My husband has said, I am only allowed to keep what can be displayed in this area. (Which really means for every one he can see, there are two more he cant see)

(My hubbys knows I love them, and they bring me joy… but he has a hard time understanding how much they cost…and they dont do anything, The kids will ask..”why cant we play with mommy’s WS’s”… and hubby replys ” they are not for playing, they are just to looks at”) ~ Rolls eyes!!

I am less like a deer in headlights, but more like I cant understand english, let alone speak it! “Kay, No hablo espaรฑol.”

For those of you who have significant others who gladly buy you WS’s count your blessings ๐Ÿ˜›

Kalandra

HAHAHAHA Ohhhhhh you have no Idea!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am soooooo busted on the sneaking the WS in the house. Alas here is the problem in my home……..my husband has a photographic memory!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Really hard to BS him and say “oh honey….thats been there forever!!” He pulls up the image in his head from last week and goes “Nope…you moved em around and added 3 new pieces!!” HE really doesn’t get it either but he loves me and he knows that they make me really happy and does not begrudge me anything. As long as I am not taking from the money needed for the house it is all OK. I use only my own money and never the house or his money!

When they arrive I give him a sheepish smile followed by a dopey grin……open the box and me and the babies jump up and down excitedly and well…….when his baby girl especially is sooooooo excited “Daddy, Daddy Look at the new dragon daddy” how can he resist.

His view is if it makes me smile and feel good it is a good buy…..BUT……”DO NOT TURN OUR HOUSE INTO A WINDSTONE MUSEUM BRANDY!!”
                          HE said to me awhile back….I’ll buy the house next door….you can fill it with dragons and such…..and then you have what you want and I have a house empty of dragons LOLOL If only we really could afford that cuz that would be awesome!! HEHE

Kiya
                          Participant

I’ve been known to get a new piece, unbox it, and put it on a shelf and pretend it’s been there forever. For about 2 days – then I feel bad and fess up.

My husband gives me flack about how much I spend – my response lately has been to offer to separate our budgets. That usually makes him quiet down since his portion of the monthly expenses exceed his monthly income and he’d be in debt to me every month. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is something to be said about being the primary bread winner in the family. ๐Ÿ™‚

fatalbeauty
                            Participant

I don’t hide them from my husband but I have the same arguement everytime I buy one since I’m like I should be honest with him…

“I’m going to buy ____”
                              “How much?-him
                              “___”
                              “That’s too expensive”-him regardless of price unless I get it super cheap like my $30 something male uni I picked up on ebay
                              “But it makes me happy….”
                              fast forward to me clicking the buy button and him usually being a little grumpy about it for a bit…

in my defense though, I don’t buy big ebay pieces, most of what I buy is either directly from Windstone or second hand off ebay…

4 things I'm looking for:
                              1. Mother Meerkat
                              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                              3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
                              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

fatalbeauty
                              Participant

also I got him the other day, I bought him a little CP winged wolf a few months back….until about two weeks ago, he was always in the same spot but when I had an empty spot that was bugging me in a new cabinet, I moved it over there….

fast forward to my last purchase arguement…
                                “You don’t look at the ones I bought you”
                                “I do too” him
                                “I never see you doing it”
                                “I do too!” him
                                “Oh? Where’s your wolf right now?”
                                “With the griffens and kirin” him referring to the old spot
                                “Oh? Are you sure?”
                                “Yes!”
                                “Oh really? I moved him two weeks ago!”
                                he shut up after that…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                                1. Mother Meerkat
                                2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                                3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
                                4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.