I got me a breadmaker

Home Forums Miscellany Food I got me a breadmaker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

The Canadians out there will know what I’m talking about…

I had a whole bunch of Club Z points, and was pretty discouraged with the price of organic bread – which is the only type of bread you can find without sugar and ingredients you can’t pronounce (and the only type of bread I like aside from Ace Bakery). So I went for the Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker!

Sounds fancy, huh? Well, I tried a French bread loaf with whole wheat (thereby finishing all the flour in the house). Was it ever good! It’s got a time too, so on Sunday morning, we’ll have freshly baked cinnamon bread.

Ok, now I’m hungry again πŸ˜€

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
      Participant

Breadmakers are great! You just reminded me that I should use mine — it hasn’t been used it for awhile. πŸ™‚ I have the one by Zojirushi.

Maria
        Participant

We haven’t made bread in a while, but when we did, Mom made it by hand. When we still lived in the States she made it twice a week. Now she doesn’t because we get good solid, edible bread from the bakery.

Did she actually knead it by hand or did she use a mixer with a dough hook (e.g., aKitchenAid)?

I usually use my KitchenAid to knead dough for stuff that can’t be made in the breadmaker, but its fun to knead the dough myself occasionally.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I’m lazy; kneading by hand just isn’t for me. πŸ˜€

Mmmmm… you think the wonderful people at Windstone might enjoy a sweetbread of some sort?

Skigod377
            Participant

My mom makes the best home made bread in the world. I will have to get her recipe. Congrats on the bread maker! I love the smell of fresh bread… with butter… YUM!

skigod377 wrote:

My mom makes the best home made bread in the world. I will have to get her recipe.

When you do, can you post it? I’d like to try it sometime. πŸ™‚

dragonmedley wrote:

Mmmmm… you think the wonderful people at Windstone might enjoy a sweetbread of some sort?

Probably…but I’m not sure how well it would survive the mail system… πŸ˜†

We bought a breadmaker about 15 years ago because three out of four in our family are celiacs and cannot eat gluten, which is in wheat. Back then there were no decent gluten-free breads available in the USA (once or twice a year we’d have saved up enough money to afford to buy a carton of goodies from Canada, packed frozen and two-day air-freighted to us) so we HAD to make our own bread for everyday use, and with both me and Linda working full time jobs the last thing we wanted to be doing every other day was kneeding up a loaf of bread.

(For anyone interested, instead of wheat flour we used a mix of bean flour, tapioca flour, potato starch flour, ground almonds, potato flakes, and then xantham gum to allow the bread to remain puffed up after the yeast had done its job).

We have not used the breadmaker in years, but it sure got us through a tough time when the kids were little. Trying to find wheat-free foods outside of the produce section in the supermarket was a horrendous challenge, but at least we were able to whip up a sandwich or a slice of toast.

Maria
              Participant

mimitrek wrote:

Did she actually knead it by hand or did she use a mixer with a dough hook (e.g., aKitchenAid)?

I usually use my KitchenAid to knead dough for stuff that can’t be made in the breadmaker, but its fun to knead the dough myself occasionally.

All by hand. We’re old-fashioned that way. πŸ˜€

Skigod377
                Participant

mimitrek wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

My mom makes the best home made bread in the world. I will have to get her recipe.

When you do, can you post it? I’d like to try it sometime. πŸ™‚

Sure will πŸ˜‰

Elena
                  Participant

Mmmm Fresh Bread…..*drool*

Fresh Cinnamon Bread for breakfast πŸ‘Ώ Congrats on the Breadmaker!

I used to live in an apartment in a small town with the bakery a block away. It was so nice to be able to get fresh bread and other stuff when ever I wanted.

My grandmother made bread by hand pretty much up until the day she died at the wonderful age of 92. I have her recipe, but no time to do it. πŸ™ and it never quite taste the same as when Grandma made it.

I make my own bread from scratch usually. It’s cheaper and much better than store bought, only downside it is doesn’t last long, maybe 2 days if I guard it so everyone doesn’t eat it all in one go.

Lately we have just been doing without bread, too hot to bake…and I would really need to bake about 4 loaves a week to keep up, but buying from the store is out, store bought bread doesn’t last, mold grows fast in this climate. At least with homemade bread, the bread doesn’t last long enough to go moldy. πŸ™‚

Kyrin

Kyrin wrote:

…store bought bread doesn’t last, mold grows fast in this climate.

Have you tried storing the leftover bread in the freezer right away?

That’s what I usually do, since it takes me quite awhile to get through a whole loaf. I double bag it in Ziploc freezer bags, and it stays very fresh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.