fbpx

I am in mourning…

Home Forums Miscellany Community I am in mourning…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Jodi
    Participant

I’m so sorry. I’m trying to decide that for my kitty. It’s not an easy decision, but it sounds like it was the right one for your poor doggie. My psychic friend told me that loved ones never leave you. They are with you every day. I don’t know if I believe it or not, but it sort of makes me feel better. Maybe it will comfort you too. *hugs*

Adaneth
      Participant

So sorry for your loss–a double loss really. 🙁

There are a lot of people here who understand it’s not ‘just a dog.’

It’s getting close to three years since I put my dog down. The memories of that event are still terribly vivid, but the emotion has faded somewhat with time. I hope it proves the same for you and your mother. Lucy isn’t suffering anymore.

Stephanie
        Participant

*hugs!*

twindragonsmum
          Participant

I’m so sorry… it’s terribly difficult to lose a member of your family and that’s just what Lucy is – a family member, just like your dad. Hugs for you and your mum.

twindragonsmum

tdm

I too am sorry to hear of your loss. ~Hugs~

darjeb
            Participant

I am so sorry for your loss and Kyrin said it perfectly. And Lucy was not just a dog she was a much loved member of your family.

*hugs* I’m so sorry about Lucy. 😥

Those are some of my least favorite words “she’s just a dog.” Because she’s not. Lucy was a member of your family – plus a living reminder of your dad. Grief counselors know that when a family looses a dog (cat/bird/horse/etc) that was alive when a family member passed away that animal becomes associated with the person. So when the animal dies it’s like loosing the person all over. Your mom may not be able to stop crying because she may be grieving for your dad all over again. Emotionally for your mom it might have been just a week since your dad died rather than four years.

You might want to call your vet or check with the local shelters. Alot of places these days have Pet Loss Groups because people need a place to grieve where other people understand Lucy wasn’t “just a dog.” Your vet should have some numbers to call.

But the only thing that really helps is time – sometimes lots and lots of time. I’m so sorry.

Mirrako
              Participant

A friend turned me on to this site when my stallion died two years ago. There are a lot of similar places to visit, but I really liked this one:

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

Here is another with plenty of resources and links:

http://www.chancesspot.org/

I’m sorry for your loss… Hugs to you and your Mom.

choebe
                Participant

My heart goes out to you. I lost my dearly loved kitty, Pandora, this past winter, and I’m still not “over it.” I don’t think I ever will be. I still hurt and I still cry, and I think the pain is just something I’m going to have to learn to live with. You have my deepest sympathy and sincerest condolences. I’m sure she was a wonderful animal companion and brought a great deal of love into your life. Try to take comfort in knowing that you gave her all the love and the best life you could. She will take that with her, I believe, and always remember you.

As for the people saying that she was “just a dog,” it baffles me that anyone can think that, let alone say it to someone in mourning. I guess some people just don’t understand how animals can become parts of our families. They must see animals as being less than humans, and I feel sorry for them. Try not to take it to heart. There are plenty of people out there who understand what you’re feeling.

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

I’m sorry, Griffinlover. 😥 Most pet owners would agree that their animals are never “just pets” but a crucial and integral part of your family. There will always be someone out there who doesn’t understand it for whatever reason. As everyone has said, this will heal over time.

My throat is getting choked up just by reading your pain. I lost my best dog ever seven years ago and I still miss him. I don’t think I’ll ever stop missing him, just like you’ll never stop missing Lucy. But remember that she’s in a better place; it will ease your pain. And you and your mother still have the memories, so in that way, she will never truly leave either of you. My condolences go out to both of you. You will recover with some time.

Jasmine
                    Participant

I’m so sorry. *Hugs*

Allison
                      Participant

I’m so sorry that you lost Lucy. It was the right thing to do, but I know that isn’t much comfort afterward. I’ve had to put down several pets already, including Lady, our 7-year-old Springer Spaniel who had cancer. For months the vets thought it was a simple eye infection, only after weeks of hand-feeding her and bathing the “swelling” on her face did we discover it was a tumor. I still miss her, and I’m still upset that she suffered for so long before we realized she wasn’t going to get better.

I can’t understand people who don’t bond to animals, but then it’s really not my business how they feel. It irks me though when those people try to “comfort” someone who does love their pets like family by telling them the friend they just lost wasn’t even worth that kind of affection. Lucy wasn’t “just a dog”, and luckily she has you and your mother to remember her that way *hug*

Thank you all for your kind words, it truely means alot to me.

lamortefille
                        Participant

I’m sorry for your loss. 😥 *hugs*

I will never for the life of me understand what compels someone to say “It was just a cat/dog/bird/horse/WHATEVER”! No matter what it was, it WAS a living, breathing, unconditionally loving, THINKING creature that lived with someone who loved it dearly! That makes it family in *my* book. GRRRRR! 😡

Griffinlover, nothing but time takes away the pain, unfortunately. But if you keep the memories of Lucy alive, *she* stays alive in a way as well. Cherish those memories, talk about her and celebrate her life with you and your family. She was dearly loved, and I’m sure she knew it, and loved you all back to the bottom of her furry heart.
                          {{{hugs}}} from here in NJ!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.