How’s everybody doing with this weather? Dec 23 2022

Home Forums Miscellany Community How’s everybody doing with this weather? Dec 23 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

😂
      I can’t tell you how funny this is to me… there’s no such thing as an exposed pipe here. They’re all buried, 6 feet for the most. Seeing Pegasi’s pipe is unreal! And Mimi, your poor blankets would not help. I find it fascinating how everyone’s “normal” is different.

Like once in Cuba, we visited an artist’s home, and the back wall of the kitchen was missing. My first thought was, omg, what are they gonna do in the winter? 🤪

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Catriona
      Participant

Finally getting warm here. So nice. This winter is starting out nasty

I love Halloween 🎃 and other spooky things. Bats, cats, ghosts , and monsters. I love 💕 to write stories and draw.

Kujacker
        Participant

[img]https://i.imgur.com/d6Z78Sa.png[/img]

Not my photo. I did also see a video of the guy.

Use to have to wrap pipes in Arizona when it got cold. You wouldn’t think a blanket or towel would do much, but never did have a busted line.

The weather was nuts last week. We had a 15F degree day, followed by a 25F degree day that had freezing rain. The city pretty much shut down. I saw so many people (and dogs) eat it on the sidewalk, and there are videos of people ice skating on the sidewalks. I somehow didn’t fall or slip once… The day after that it was in the 40s and it’s been straight rain since. What is even going on? (I’m loving it lol)

If anyone wants a “master” link for a ton of videos of people slipping on the ice, and cars being destroyed, here it is [url]https://twitter.com/jammonravager/status/1606579301557882881[/url]

Bodine
          Participant

😂
            I can’t tell you how funny this is to me… there’s no such thing as an exposed pipe here. They’re all buried, 6 feet for the most. Seeing Pegasi’s pipe is unreal! And Mimi, your poor blankets would not help. I find it fascinating how everyone’s “normal” is different.

Like once in Cuba, we visited an artist’s home, and the back wall of the kitchen was missing. My first thought was, omg, what are they gonna do in the winter? 🤪

My friend I could not survive where you live.That cold would drain my life force away.I am happy at 78/80°.That’s my comfort zone.
            My old clothes and blanket worked.No bursts.😁

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Pegasi1978
            Participant

That pipe and faucet was “special” to begin with. The previous park manager was washing his truck on his day off and had a little too much to drink. He somehow ripped the faucet off. In a fit of anger rather than just get a small elbow and pipe section to attach a new faucet he ended up almost making a cube with the number of bends and duct taping the thing to the deck to support it. Oh and he did this with the water was running.

We had looked at this monstrosity when we moved in with horror. So many unnecessary bends, minimal insulation! We knew it was asking for trouble.

It’s a small state park – only 32 campsites and three cabins, two full-time staff (my husband is one of those two), and two part-time staff. The staff do every thing – housekeeping, grounds keeping, vehicle maintenance, etc. Public area upkeep comes first. Repairs in staff-only areas are low on the totem pole. It was on the “when we get around to it” list.

Needless to say it’s moved onto a higher priority list, but right now it’s still been too cold for anything to cure properly without blasting it with warm air from a hair dryer. That’s what was done to cap it for now. That was an adventure as well because they had used up all the pvc glue they had on the bathhouse and cabin pipe repairs the day before so they had to call friends and family nearby to see if anyone had some as it was Christmas day and everyplace that carries it locally was closed.

Catriona
              Participant

Here is one way to help pipes. My dad told me to let the faucet on and let warm water go down the pipes. That’s for the water pipes.

I love Halloween 🎃 and other spooky things. Bats, cats, ghosts , and monsters. I love 💕 to write stories and draw.

VS
                Participant

I have to second Dragonmedley here, being near Chicago. We get usually plenty of snow and ice cold, luckily not much snow yet so I’m loving it because this new house we have to shovel (previous was a condo where that was done by the association). Exposed pipes of any kind are high chance of rupture here, you even have to cover your spigots on the house for winter to save them from freezing and bursting in your walls. My dad was worried about exposed pipes like in those pics so he literally took some exterior paint and particle board for resurfacing a house and made an insulated box over it (flat styrofoam pieces coated the inside). For our new home, I used expanding foam and was caulking every spot I could find on the outside of this house until it was too dark to see right up until the weather hit the teens and only stopped because the caulk might not set in the cold. We might warm up a bit this weekend and that means we get some extra backout curtains and rods for over the doors because they have the biggest drafts (and the cold found 2 small gaps in the front door seal so I can fill those too). Asthetics are the least of our concerns if the heating bill is $200/mo or more and this isn’t a big place. If you can pay for the gas to heat you, you’re fine out here, and it’s pretty expensive this year. Enough so that next year we’ll convert our fireplace from gas to wood in the off season to prep for the next winter. I feel bad for those who have a harder time covering it–the state won’t let gas be cut off but there can be a lien on you or debt collectors coming for it.

Any insulation is good for pipes, the ideal is the more the better, lol! Foam is very good btw. You can make a wood box to cover that after it’s fixed, add a hinged door and some paint and that’ll hide utilities nicely while keeping it (hopefully safer) from harm.

Bodine
                  Participant

Well 2022 had to strike one more blow against the family.
                    My daughter called,panicked,she said she just got out of the bed with Athena watching a movie and this happened.Only 2 more days in this very stressful year.
                    Be safe out there.

20221230_152232

20221230_152207

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Well, we were luckier… right on the hydro lines, but we didn’t lose power.
                      Before Hydro came to cut the branch, and after:
                      42FB70CD-BE16-4B0E-8C19-F83A638BBA0E
                      26756B94-34DA-468A-884C-09DF333970F4

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Bodine
                      Participant

Dang.Well no animals or humans hurt,all good right?Stay safe up there.

Bodine
                        Participant

Well the country is getting another Canadian blast.My son in Northern Ark.is getting a bad ice storm.Praying they don’t lose elec..Be safe out there.

Catriona
                          Participant

Cold here in IL . Below tempts over night. Tomorrow it will be warmer . Can’t wait until spring. Summer can be to hot.

Megan
                            Participant

Punxsutawney Phil better be sure he doesn’t see his shadow Thursday, or I’m going to have to consider some BBQ crockpot groundhog. Come on, spring!!!

Laura Sparling
                              Participant

We are managing with all of the snow we received. Horses are extra fuzzy so they are fine. Hope everyone else stays warm and safe.

Grail Pieces:
                                Sagraine Male Dragon
                                Palomino Male Unicorn

Catriona
                                Participant

High of 4 above here today. Tomorrow. Boy I’m sick is cold weather. Ugh Spring can’t come soon enough

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.