fbpx

How is the second hand market doing?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone How is the second hand market doing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    WolfenMachine
    Participant

Is anyone buying second hand these days? I’ve had a few pieces up for sales for years with no nibbles…a male griffin I paid $425 for, asking $350, a large wizard, a second male griffin from ebay, an adult oriental…nothing. I desperately need to sell some pieces, and I’m thinking of parting with my Red Lavender Autumn Leaf old warrior #8 but once I decide to sell something, I put it out of my heart and fall out of love with it. It’s a hard process, because each one of my pieces has a story, a meaning, a history. Would it be worth it to sell him? I would want $1200 shipped but if the market is not doing too well, I may keep him a while. I’ll have a lot of pieces for sale before the year is up as I am FINALLY going home, after so many, many, hard years, and I need to buy some furniture, a washer/dryer and lots of other things. Plus, I really want to simplify my life and too many little things sitting around is cluttering to my head. Any insight would be useful as I haven’t been around for a while-trying to resist temptation.
      I hope everyone is doing well!

Betrluk1
      Participant

i feel like, the aftermarket for ebay buys is non existent. i have almost always had to take a loss or trade down when trying to move any of the ebay pieces i had in the past.

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Honestly, as much as I love grab bags I think they shot us in the foot a little bit.

I’ve noticed even Windstone’s ebay auctions for special test paints take a sharp nose dive in sales yet, grab bags get thrown up and go for 4 to 5 times the retail mark up. Seems like everyone is a bit more short in the pocketbook because they are focusing on grab bags so much.

Maybe it’s just me? I have been watching the auctions for a while and some aren’t even hitting a regular retail for a production piece. (of course not any of the ones I WANT) but I can’t be the only one who has noticed the steals on ebay these days. It’s a bit of a hard sell when you have an Old Warrior that is probably worth 1200 when you can snatch up another one on ebay for $300-$400 or less nowadays that is still a test paint.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Natasha
          Participant

I think ebay pieces will always have less resale value than grab bags. With grab bags, the element of chance will almost always mean that someone will be waiting in the wings to buy. For ebay pieces EVERYONE has a chance to bid on their favorite pieces. So for resale you have to rely on 1. Someone with more cash than you that had a bidding mishap or 2. A new-to-Windstone person who didn’t see the piece in the first place. The rest of the bidders bid less than you, so obviously unless their circumstances change, they won’t have the money to meet or exceed the price you paid.

I have purchased after market Windstones, but they’ve all been from from many years ago. Things that sold before I knew Windstone did test paints. I have sold a couple here and there, and usually sold for the price I paid. I’ve had one or two exceptions that I sold for slightly more than I paid because I had multiple people who wanted them. I haven’t ever sold for below what I paid – so far I haven’t been desperate enough to take a loss on pieces and I would rather keep a piece I only sort of like than take a loss on a sale.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
            ANY Red Eyed Unis
            ANY Test Paint Bat
            UNIS:
            The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
            Male- Snow Leopard TP
            White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
            Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
            Mother: Okapi
            Gothic - Mahogany
            PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
            DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Aaron
            Participant

You must have been reading my mind, because for about 2 years (maybe longer) it has seemed that most Windstones on eBay have gone for relatively low prices, whereas several years ago they seemed to be in higher demand. It hasn’t seemed to matter whether these are special pieces or regular production pieces. Just looked at the most recent sold items on eBay, which include a New Growth female griffin (special paint) for $184.00, Celestial Sunset Emperor dragon for $539.00, and a Violet Flame Lap Dragon for $125.00. A gold fledgling went for $96.00 on July 26. I bought mine in 2013 for close to $300.00. Also, for example, store price on lap dragons is $210.00, and eBay/Paypal/shipping typically takes up 25% in fees, so the person who sold the lap dragon (which had been relisted many times) probably walked with about $94.00 for a loss of $116.00. There are exceptions, and I’ve had a lot of my collection for sale for some time now, but I can’t take that much of a loss. I always purchased these because I really liked them, but I also knew that I might one day resell them, and part of why I was so willing to purchase a lot of them was that at the time it seemed that they would retain their value.

I’ve wondered what has factored into this. It seems WE is producing more product and colors (including grab bags and different sculpts) and that perhaps it wasn’t able to do that for some time after it moved to Oregon. This has increased the supply pretty dramatically. It also seems that there is a limited number of people who will spend this type of money on these statues and this is a very small community. When I started collecting, I wanted a lot of different colors, and I went overboard in trying to collect a lot of them – really too many of them. I don’t think I’m alone here because I’ve seen a lot of ads here or on eBay from people selling their collections for many different reasons. Over time, I’ve become much pickier now on what I will buy, and I am trying to sell a lot of my collection.

In any event, I’m going to wait and see. I’d rather hold on to them for awhile to see if I can ultimately recoup some of what I had spent then to try and sell now for 1/3 or even 1/4 of what I had paid.

Just my two cents – and I could be completely wrong. 🙂 Wouldn’t be the first time. But I would love to hear what others think.

Mary
              Participant

Ebay has slow periods which might account for some of the low pricing. I’ve noticed prior years that summers are usually lackluster and then sales pickup in the fall in anticipation of the holidays. But, will that be the case this year? Hard to tell because the entire retail economy seems to be in a recession. Grocery prices have been falling, retail stores same-store-sales has been suffering. I think lots of folks are tapped out for discretionary spending. But let’s all hope things improve soon.

Rylorien
                Participant

To be perfectly honest I think grab bags are a shot in the foot regardless of how they might impact Ebay sales. In spite of the amazing work Melody puts into them there are always some in higher demand (for example, silhouettes) and those that are not nearly as sought after (fish-scaled/armor-esque ones and lichens seem to fall into this more often than not). In the case of the former, reselling the piece even if you love it would be a good way to come out ahead on the equation; when it comes to the latter, people end up stuck with a piece they’ve spent hard cash on and either have to take a hit to resell/trade it or just settle for knowing they got the short end of the stick.

As for Ebay, I think that fluctuation is a combination of things: demand for a specific rare/retired piece, competition for particular colors/patterns on test paints/grab bags, economic flux, international currency exchange + shipping rates, and expectation of new releases (grab bag or otherwise).

Test paints, from my perspective, are something of a sticky situation. I absolutely love seeing the work that Gina and Laurie do with the test paints…they do amazing things with colors and scale patterning! However, when I look at Pinterest, old collections/auctions, or (when the old site was running) the production gallery, there were a lot of pieces I missed out on that I find as equally appealing if not more so than the test paints of nowadays…and most of that comes down to 1) the painters’ styles, 2) what they have time to do during the work week, and 3) whether or not it’s considered as being “done” before and thus not to be repeated. I think that some of those older test paints *would* have a higher value if only because we don’t often see leopard griffin test paints, tiger old warriors, or blue-striped white tiger coiled mother dragons (cough, calendar piece, cough). And, as Natasha said, there’s also the inescapable issue of people simply having difference financial situations–namely someone bidding really high and then choosing to resell is going to have a hard time recouping those dollars.

When all is said and done, it’s really just supply and demand. Windstone doesn’t seem to release new production colors regularly so when they do it’s usually with an adequate supply. Due to that I feel that most people end up deciding between saving up for grab bags *or* test paints, and with new test paints popping up on a daily basis, people have little choice but to be choosy. I really loved the new growth male griffin but after buying a gb baby uni and paying off another 5% of the accrued medical bills, my choice had to be to pass on him. Se la vie.

etruscan
                  Participant

I would suggest that the after-market for test paints is unpredictable because the test paint universe is constantly changing. New color schemes are being introduced all the time and may be more popular than previous ones.

How many combinations have been greeted with enthusiasm at the time but then a different pattern is introduced that people like better? Buying a test paint is always a gamble.

Zelda
                    Participant

The Ebay market pretty much went through the roof when Windstone first went online and established the forums! That went especially for retired pieces. When test paints and auctions straight from Windstone started, prices were very high, and I like to think those sales helped Windstone fund the big jump to Oregon! But an Old Green dragon commanding several times its purchase price today? Probably not happening, at least not right now.

I think this is due to a number of factors, one being that with the expansion in the range of production colors, pieces, and OOAK Ebay pieces, people have more room to be choosy about their must-have pieces whether they are fresh from the factory or long-retired. Second, a lot of longtime collectors already have their shelves full when it comes to production pieces, and won’t continually purchase older sculpts and colors to keep boosting their secondhand prices. Third, with Windstones being both collectibles and art pieces, a lot of collectors purchase not just for personal enjoyment but with the hope that their pieces will accrue value over time. Like any investment that doesn’t always happen, but if offered the choice between a OOAK piece and a production piece, I think people will choose the OOAK/signed/LP partially for their rarity. The big exceptions to this might be Red Fire and darker-colored Ruby pieces, maybe…

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Sikek
                      Participant

I agree with this. Unless it was a piece that was from a some years back that newer members are now interested in, I think in most cases you’re looking to resell for the same price or loss. The item was won in the first place because you were prepared to pay the most for it. There are possibilities of buyers who were short on cash at the time, regretted not bidding more etc too though.

As for the influences on the lower Ebay prices these years. Currency conversion is a big one for me, and those from Canada too I assume. When I first joined the conversions were quite close enough, now it’s just so much more expensive for me, that and the fact I’m more picky now with a mature collection means I haven’t really been looking at Ebay pieces at all.

Another thing is Ebay pieces are usually of the bigger kind, dragons and such. I prefer the smaller mammal sculpts, which happen to be prime Grab Bag subjects.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

Many of the factors that lead to a “slow market” have echoes in the collecting and art markets as a whole.
                          Sales in an election year in the USA are almost always poor for most artists/sellers of artwork, as there is just so much instability and uncertainty.
                          Demographics have a big play, too. Unfortunately, the generation with the most disposable income is also an aging generation, and fewer young people have the financial ability to collect much, or often, or at higher dollar amounts. There are always exceptions.
                          That said, it’s never wise to “invest” in art or a collectible for its resale value. Buy because you like it, because the market is fickle!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                          My art: featherdust.com

Prezaurian
                          Participant

As a beginner trying to sell some small items, I’m sometimes left wondering why the market seems so dead. So thank you for this bit of information. I’m sure it also has to do with marketing myself (I have not done a lot with that yet) but it’s good to know other aspects of the situation. So again, thank you Jennifer!

rock-reader
                            Participant

There is another consideration when discussing test paint sales. When I first joined (Dec 2012), test paints seemed to be mostly done by Melody herself. There were a few other artists who did exceptional work (some before my time), but the higher prices on Ebay were usually generated by Melody. Now she spends her time doing Grab Bags (which we all buy at record speeds) and sculptures, which don’t often get painted and sold. Gina and Laurie do GREAT work, and if I had the money I’d buy their work at the prices they deserve (DEFINATELY more than production pieces at least) and would be proud to display them, but they are not Melody. However, like a lot of people, I can no longer afford to pay upwards of $600 for a piece, no matter how much I love it. I’m lucky if I can buy the Grab bags and I’ve missed quite a few lately, something I never did my first few years on the forum.

Landipan
                              Participant

I’ve always heard (in other hobbies that is) that summer can be a slowing selling season. Also, sometimes, especially with pieces at a high price, it can take time for the right person with the right budget to come along at the right time to see your sale and snap it up, it might not be fast but it’ll sell eventually.

I agree that one should only buy things that they like themselves instead of buying something only to hope it’ll gain in value over time. Art is so subjective in that way!

*Formerly meowmix101
                                Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Kim
                                Blocked

I remember when a few of us talked about this a while back maybe a a year or two ago. There was definitely a bit of a concern with test paints on ebay going for lower prices and that the grabs bags seemed to resell for more at the expense of ebay pieces. I agree with what others said above. I think when grab bags come out, it unfortunately uses up most of the money people might otherwise save for ebay or test paints or buying secondary pieces from other people. Also with supply and demand, the more test paints and grab bags come out, the more prices seem to go down, especially for pieces that don’t have the most highly desired colours or patterns. Even with grab bags it can be hard sometimes to recover what was paid unless you have a really popular one.

I have been lucky to have been able to resell some pieces for pretty much what I paid or more, except in the last year it seems. I have a few pieces I have had listed here for months or a year and put up on ebay at different times that are not selling and it’s frustrating. I still have a safari young unicorn that a lot of people said they liked or were interested in trading for but could not afford to buy. When new pieces come out, instead of sellers being able to sell older pieces like past test paints or grab bags, it seems everyone buying wants the new grab bags and ignores the older pieces unless again they were really sought after ones.

I know at one point I had mentioned it might be nice if grab bag batches slowed down or didn’t come out every month, to give people time to recuperate their finances and maybe look at buying other pieces like ebay or production pieces. I didn’t even buy any production pieces I wanted for like a year because I was having trouble keeping up with saving money for all the grab bags. If they came out maybe 4 times a year instead of every month then that would give everyone the chance to maybe buy older pieces on the secondary market.

I personally love grab bags but I think there has been a bit of an over saturation in the market and not enough collectors to buy secondary market pieces. There are more new pieces coming out then new collectors buying it seems, which brings downs the values on newer and older pieces. I think after the new baby unis I will probably be tapped out of grab bags for a while unless I sell other pieces. For me, to have a young uni sitting in a box I paid about $450 for after shipping and customs that is not selling is not the kind of risk I had in mind when I purchased it. Speaking of which if anyone wants to buy it or my other pieces too, let me know. I am hoping things will pick up in the fall before Christmas and that more people will take a look at the classifieds here and buy more pieces that need new homes!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.