How goes your garden?

Home Forums Miscellany Love, Fuzzy How goes your garden?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

I plant a small garden every year now.Here are my 1st of the year cucumbers.They will be bread and butter pickles soon.
      I see a delicious tomato sandwich in this one’s future.yummy!

20210702_0720053

20210702_0718392

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Melody
      Keymaster

Our first two tomatoes are just starting to turn red. We have horrible luck growing vegetables here! The wildlife usually gets it first. We did get some cherries this year!

pipsxlch
        Participant

Those look great! Yum, bread and butter pickles.

I’ll stick with my undemanding orchids.😆 I’m not around to water in the dry months, and the wet ones are too wet for some stuff, as well as hot. Plus our so called soil is very poor thin sugar sand. Most planted stuff dies.

Mika
          Participant

Peaches and plums are a bust this year (no plums and the animals got all the peaches while they were still itty bitty). Did get a fair amount of peas though, and the tomato plants are starting to replace the dying pea plants. I accidentally overplanted, but the tomato plants were late this year so it seems to be working out in the end. About 50/50 on strawberries; bugs or birds got around half of ’em.
            Lemon balm and mint are doing fantastic and I think the catnip will recover from the deluge of rain from last week.
            A lot of things were either late or are below where they ought to be growth-wise.

Mary
            Participant

Our first two tomatoes are just starting to turn red. We have horrible luck growing vegetables here! The wildlife usually gets it first. We did get some cherries this year!

I have the same problem with critter eating my veggies. I’ve tried all the “critter repellents” like fox urine & such, but a hungry rabbit ignores the scent. Tomatoes are the only thing the critters don’t seem to bother. I even had a chipmunk take a bite out of one of my jalapeno peppers. I guess he didn’t like it, as there was only one bite in the pepper, but I had to throw it out.

This year I tried raised garden beds for my non-tomatoes, and so far doing great. We had unusual cold weather & snow/ice late in Spring, so I got a late start planting. Plants are doing well but thus far only got one small ripe cherry tomato. Can’t do much with one.

Bodine
              Participant

It seems all the tomato plants are struggling.Mine are slow to start and the vines are skinny this year.Not producing but a couple per plant.Unusual.Cucumber are doing good,peppers are ok too.It was really hot and dry when they started.Hope they recover.Snails are my pests this year on my cucumbers.
                Maybe set out safe traps for the little critters and relocate?An old farmer told me if you string bells around your garden and attach to tomatoes etc.,it will help a lot.When they hit it the bells scare them off.Helps keep birds away too.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Brenda Lower
                Participant

It’s been such an incredibly HOT summer here, I’m getting just tiny bits of things. A small handful of cherry tomatoes is all I’ve managed to get so far!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.