fbpx

Hot Milk Cake + Egg Nog

Home Forums Miscellany Food Hot Milk Cake + Egg Nog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

Pegasi1978
      Participant

My Great-Great-Grandmother Jane Kerr Stewart brought this recipe with her when she immigrated from Scotland sometime between 1876 and 1878. She was born in County Ayr in 1852 and died in Birmingham, AL, in 1929.

Hot Milk Cake

4 Eggs
        2 Cups sugar
        2 Cups flour
        1 Cup hot milk (Careful not to allow to skim; Heat to steaming only!)
        1/2 Cup melted butter
        2 Teaspoons baking powder

Beat eggs until lemon colored. Add sugar and beat well. Add flour, beat until well blended. Gradually add hot milk and melted butter (They can be mixed together). Slowly add baking powder. Pour into two 9 inch cake pans (My Mom poured batter into bundt pan); bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with desired icing. (My Mom used commercially prepared chocolate; heating so it could be drizzled.)

I’ve seen variations of the cake on the Internet with vanilla extract added, but you don’t really need to add flavoring to it. The cake almost has a sponge cake texture to it.

This egg nog recipe comes from Jane Kerr Stewart as well.

Stewart Egg Nog (Requires three bowls and an electric mixer for best results.)

1 Quart milk (Have even used skim milk)
        3 eggs
        1/2 pint whipping cream (Can substitute 8 ounces CoolWhip)
        1/2 Cup whiskey
        1/2 Cup sugar

Separate eggs, save egg whites in second bowl. Beat yellows; gradually add whiskey, then sugar. Add milk and mix well. In a second bowl whip cream. (Skip if using CoolWhip.) In third bowl beat egg whites. Add whipped cream to egg whites and fold into milk mixture. Serve in punch cups with dash of cinnamon (& sugar). Don’t forget a spoon!

twindragonsmum
        Participant

Thank you muchly! It sounds delish and I’ve emailed it to Dad!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Purplecat
          Participant

Oh wow….will definately have to try!

Pegasi1978
            Participant

I’ve never actually tried the egg nog myself (I’m not much of an alcohol drinker) but my mom says it’s good.

Jasmine
              Participant

For the cake, what type of milk do you use?

Pegasi1978
                Participant

The one I just made I used 2% and it tasted fine. I don’t think it matters much.

Jasmine
                  Participant

I’ll have to try it, thanks Peg. πŸ˜†

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Pegasi, I have to tell you, the cake is YUMMY! It was a huge hit our house. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

Glad to hear your family liked it. It’s so simple to make isn’t it? And you can top it so many ways, too.

darjeb
                        Participant

They both sound delicious I’ll have to try them

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

Pegasi, can I ask a nosy question? 😳 Was your great great grandmothers maiden name Kerr or Stewart? My family comes from Scotland and we have both those names in our line. Do you know her mum and dad’s names, siblings, husband’s name and any of his family? One of my passions is family history and it’d be cool if we could find a connection. Feel free to PM or post, whatever is best for you! Thanks for your time (and Dad LOVED the hotmilk cake!)

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Pegasi1978
                            Participant

Let me consult the old copy of Family Tree Maker on my computer. When my parents bout a new one, they gave me the old one and said “Just don’t register it.” They are the ones who are big on the family history stuff. I at least have the files and am trying to update my copy of it as older relatives pass away. It would be too funny if it turns out we are related somehow. πŸ˜†

Her maiden name was Jane Kerr and she married Peter Stewart on August 25, 1876. Her parents were Jane Murphy and Matthew Kerr. She had two brothers – Matthew and John. Peter Stewart’s parents were Peter Stewart and Catherine McCartney. He was the oldest of 9 siblings. The others were (in order): William, Peter, Marian, Martha, James, Andrew, Catherine and John Martin.

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

Thanks! I’ll see what I can dig up!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.