fbpx

Help with Pearl Ex Powders

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Help with Pearl Ex Powders

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Diana L
    Participant

Diana L
      Participant

Need some help with how to use Pearl Ex Powder pigments..I have wanted to try them out for a while and read what info was in the package and am still confused. Since I am new to this is there anyone who could explain what to do with them….mixing etc? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Hello Dragoncastle

I am new to useing Pearl ex powders aswell, but from what I can tell… and have learned they can be mixed with any media to give the paint a metallic look.
          and I have tried them in an airbrush with no problems. ๐Ÿ™‚

Diana L
          Participant

Thanks Kalandra,
            I’m going to try mixing them with the same medium that I use with the Golden paints and see what I can come up with…a new adventure is fun anyway. Diana ๐Ÿ™‚

Jasmine
            Participant

If you want to brush them directly on to your PYO, I suggest you use something to make the statue slightly tacky. That way the power will adhere and won’t just blow off or rub off if you touch it. I have used Testors Spray Lacquer but I’ve actually found a cheap solution to be hairspray.

I mix them with my Golden Medium (whatever it’s called, GAC?). Though the tacky idea is a good one, it would create a different effect (and probably a much less subtle one).

siberakh1
              Participant

Pearl Ex powders are fun! You can use Pearl Ex powders several ways.

1) I’ve mixed them into paints. Just put a little bit on the side of your palette. Depending on the color effect you want, a little can really be all you need. ๐Ÿ™‚

2) I’ve mixed them with a clear medium, as mentioned by Dragon87. Golden puts out several (gloss, matte, etc.).

3) I’ve brushed them on with a brush dry. Yes, it gets all over, so I like to do it outside or in the basement if I’m doing a large area, or at least put something down on the table. Just make sure you don’t have a fan blowing or any strong wind! I don’t spray anything to make it tacky. For this method, you need to spray a thin layer of sealant between each layer (ie. brush on pearl ex powders, spray thin layer of sealant, repeat for desired effect and color). Depending on the color, it may take a few coats before you start to really see the color fill in. Some pick up much more readily. I found the copper or pearl white colors, for example, pick up quickly, while a lighter gold shade of pearl ex might not pick up right away and may require a few more layers to get the full color depth you are looking for. Time consuming, but the effects can be quite nice. It’s the same method you’d use if you were ‘painting’ with chalk pastels. Example: The scales of this kirin are done in nothing but Pearl Ex powders, no base coat. Only the fur is painted. I used four different shades of pearl ex were used on the scales.

Bodine
                Participant

I did this one in the metallic powders,dry.It was done painted in a white basecoat and I dry brushed the powders on.They went on very smooth and managable.I like this style too.

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Diana L
                  Participant

Thanks Siberakh1, I loved that kiring btw, and your suggestions are going to be followed. I was wondering how to get things to stay in place and the spraying looks to do the trick. All these new things are wonderful to learn, that and just jumping into it feet first helps too, lol.

Bodine, thanks to you too for the wonderful picture of your dragon you dry brushed. That is another skill I will have to learn,and blending too. You all are so good at things like the blending and feathers and I think the last time I painted anything was in grade school so you know how far I have to go to catch up. I’m trying and I love the two muses I’ve done based on my weird color sense and the wonderful examples I see everyone doing. The Muse swap was one wonderful thing to see. Maybe next time I’ll give it a go.

Thanks all for your help…*trotting off with muse in hand to try pearl ex paint scheme…lalala hohoho*

Diana ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Bodine
                    Participant

dragoncastle wrote:

Thanks Siberakh1, I loved that kiring btw, and your suggestions are going to be followed. I was wondering how to get things to stay in place and the spraying looks to do the trick. All these new things are wonderful to learn, that and just jumping into it feet first helps too, lol.

Bodine, thanks to you too for the wonderful picture of your dragon you dry brushed. That is another skill I will have to learn,and blending too. You all are so good at things like the blending and feathers and I think the last time I painted anything was in grade school so you know how far I have to go to catch up. I’m trying and I love the two muses I’ve done based on my weird color sense and the wonderful examples I see everyone doing. The Muse swap was one wonderful thing to see. Maybe next time I’ll give it a go.

Thanks all for your help…*trotting off with muse in hand to try pearl ex paint scheme…lalala hohoho*

Diana ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
                      Thanx,he is nicer than the photo shows I think and he was very easy to do.Don’t worry.It is very easy and fun,you might surprise yourself ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have fun and show us pics please ๐Ÿ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.