Help on a Book

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Help on a Book

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Azura Monroe
    Participant

Hi, I’m working on a book and the main heroine Azura Monroe makes clay figurines as a hobby and I was wondering what kind of clay would the best for her to use?

Bodine
      Participant

Hi Azura Monroe.Much luck on your endeavors. Welcome to the forum.

Azura is the name of my queen dragon😉

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

dragonmedley
        Participant

Does she fire them or does she simply let the clay dry? Then does she paint them? Glaze them?

It depends on so many things! There are few members here who work with ceramics I think who may be able to answer your question, but they may need more details.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

pipsxlch
          Participant

Sculpey and Fimo (brand names sold in the US) seem to be the most commonly used by hobby figure sculptors, but Dragonmedley is right- it depends on what she’s making, how she makes it and how it’s used after. If you look in the Community forum, you will see a thread started by member Dragoneer88 showing her nascent efforts at sculpting- and she’s quite good.

Azura Monroe
            Participant

Thanks Bodine for the welcome and I’ll try my best to get it off the ground granted it is a fan fiction more than an a book. Well, Azura is a Ghost Rider and she uses her own flames to fire them and she does paint and glaze them. She usually displays them around the Avengers Compound to showcase her work. Ok, I’ll take a look at them and if you want I can show you guys the Prologue and the start of Chapter 1 of my WIP. Btw, what does WIP mean? I’ve been a writer for a while and I just recently come across that term.

LZ
              Participant

WIP means work in progress

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

merrillannwhite
                Participant

It means work in progress.  Welcome to the forum!  If Azura fires and glazes them, she would probably be working in pottery/ceramics or porcelain.  I think the main difference is that porcelain uses a very fine white clay that is a bit stronger when fired and makes a higher grade of finished product.  Most hobby clays only need to be baked or air dried and don’t require a kiln.

Azura Monroe
                  Participant

Oh, ok. Ok, so have her use porcelain? Got it! I’ve been told to be more descriptive in my writing but since it’s still new to me I was a little unsure of what to do.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nyfLSDSLPSjs3Ccl4KNXhe9DB9dhd3UYSvUzFp6NU58/edit?usp=sharing

Here’s the Prologue to it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JCG_FuohOCbzkMarWmeET3whzux7g-Jbs9bNOYjsJRw/edit?usp=sharing

and here’s what I have so far on Chapter 1

Melody
                    Keymaster

She’s really good if she can sculpt porcelain! It is like sculpting peanut butter. Porcelain is creamy, slippery, saggy stuff to work with.

Let me tell you about sculpting clays.

Unlike porcelain, sculpting clay usually has particles in it, called grog, which makes it stay in position better. White buff, and Red Terracota clay are common sculpting ceramic clays. They fired at a low temp, so they withstand  the stress of firing better, and have a a shrinkage rate of something like 6%.  Much less shrinkage, so less stress. Porcelain is notorious for cracking at joints and warping during high firing if the sculpture has uneven thicknesses, not to mention a shrinkage rate of up to 15 %.  It is used mostly for slip cast objects, a casting process that creates a fairly uniform wall thickness.

I took a million ceramic classes in school.

Saying she sculpts fine porcelain is much more impressive though.

Azura Monroe
                      Participant

Hello, Melody I’m pleased to meet you. I would take your advice and use Red Terracota. Well, I’ve added to the Ghost Rider mythos is that they can control the temperature of their flames. So, how is the story looking so far?

Melody
                        Keymaster

Sounds like it would be well suited as a script for  for an illustrated comic book .

Azura Monroe
                          Participant

Thanks. I want to get it drawn as a graphic novel like they did with Percy Jackson series but so far I haven’t found anyone who could do it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.