fbpx

Hello, Everyone!

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Hello, Everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant

Hi, Folks!

I am new here, so I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m in my early 40s, work as an editor, and enjoy reading, writing, playing tabletop role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, and collecting and painting all the little miniatures that are used in the games. I’m a lifelong fantasy fan, and I have two cats: a rather petite tortie point Siamese named Agnes, who’s 13, and her “little brother,” a long, lanky, chatty orange tabby named Kane, who’s 9.

I’ve been aware of Windstone since the early 1990s, when I fell in love with the dragons. In the mid-1990s, I received a white/pearl Mother Dragon as a Christmas gift, and I loved her very much. She seemed almost alive if you looked at her from the right angle, and her golden eyes were striking. At the time I had just read Anne McCaffrey’s novel The White Dragon, so I was of course delighted to have a white dragon of my own. I had designs on collecting the whole “family” one day in that color.

Unfortunately, life later dealt me some unfortunate blows, and I ended up selling her to someone. I’ve long since regretted that choice, even if it was necessary at the time, especially since I learned that the white color seems to be retired. Perhaps one of these days I’ll find one like her again. I see that others talk about “grails.” I guess she’s one of mine. The ruby dragons (also discontinued, alas!) are also extremely striking, and I will likely eventually hunt for them.

That said, though, I recently put in an order for a gold Mother Dragon, who should be here sometime this week, and I recently acquired one of the older brown dragon hatchlings second hand. I’m also interested in exploring the PYO dragons and flap cats. In the case of the latter, I’m particularly interested in painting one up to memorialize a cat of mine who passed some years ago. I’ve never painted a gypsum statue, though I have experience with resin, plastic, and pewter, so it should be an interesting learning experience!

I look forward to chatting with folks!

StormDancer
      Participant

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Windstone family members.
        You should be able to find a white mother on eBay. There are usually one or two available on a regular basis there.
        The Rubies are much harder to find but I believe that there is a baby ruby on eBay now… Or was as of last night.
        I have several of the Rubies, it took me years to gather my family up but thru forum members here (check out the classifieds here often) and eBay I’ve managed.
        If you do acquire a Ruby or two be certain to keep them out of sunlight. Also don’t get them wet. Canned air and a soft brush is the best way to clean them.

Good luck with your search for new family members for your collection!

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Bodine
        Participant

Hello and welcome.
          Sorry you had to sell but the good news is that people here are always willing to help another member acquire a specific piece,especially what you are searching for.Put up an ad in the “classifieds” here and FB Windstone groups.(if you go there,join up) You will find one.Let folks know what you need.Good luck and hoping to see you post your little but will be growing,Windstone collection.😄

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

StormDancer
          Participant

The Ruby on eBay is a fledgling not a baby, sorry about that. His auction ends in 4 days.

Looking for:
            "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

etruscan
            Participant

Welcome!

Vic
              Participant

Many thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to sharing them when I get them situated in a relatively cat-safe zone somewhere amongst the books. 😉 I have a feeling I’ll also be posting in the repair section, as the little brown hatchling has a couple of very, very tiny chips. They’re pretty much imperceptible unless you look closely, but are there. He also lost his forehead crystal somewhere along the way before I got him, so I’ll eventually hunt up one of those for him.

By the way, out of curiosity, regarding not getting the dragons wet when cleaning them, is that specific to the Ruby line, or is it a general precaution? I imagine that none of them should be immersed, but I seem to recall wiping the Mother Dragon I had years ago down with a damp paper towel to remove some dust and fuzz, and she did not seem to suffer any ill effects.

etruscan
                Participant

Not getting the dragons wet is specific to the Rubies. Using a damp cloth or paper towel on the other colors is fine.

Vic
                  Participant

Thanks for the clarification!

etruscan
                    Participant

As you probably have already seen, there is a “Repairs” section of the Forum with discussions about cleaning and repairing Windstones. Drag0nfeathers is the Repair Queen and can give advice if you want to fix something.

This is an informative thread about cleaning dragons and includes information about the Rubies:

Intense cleaning for dragons with possible heat damage and stubborn dirt/debris

One other bit of odd Windstone trivia – cats sometimes chew on Windstones. Drag0nfeathers says that she has had to repair several dragons that were damaged by her cat.

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

WELCOME and have fun! Glad to have you aboard, Vic!

LOL! Yes – be careful if your cats are drawn to your Windstones! Some members have commented on their fur-babies chewing off dragon faces and jumping up and knocking them off shelves!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Vic
                        Participant

Thanks again!

The cats are usually pretty good around the statuary, though sometimes they’re drawn to one item or another. They seem in particular to love a couple statues of Egyptian gods I have: They’ll get up on the table where they are and just…snuggle up next to them. We’ll have to see how they act around the dragons! Hopefully they won’t get snackish! 😉

Vic
                          Participant

My gold mother dragon arrived today! She’s a beautiful lady. Nothing fancy in the way of display as yet, but she and the brown hatchling are up high and generally as out of kitty raiding range as I can get them.

pipsxlch
                            Participant

Hey Vic, just saw there’s a white mother in the Classifieds- not mine, just saw it and remembered your post.

Welcome! I’ve been enjoying the Anne McCaffery books as well. I’ve been listening them in audiobook format during my commute. I just finished All the Werys of Pern (that ending! :'( ).

Susan

Alyssa
                              Participant

Hello!
                                I have always loved windstones but never knew they were such a hit! I show my friends and they have never seen them before but they are always in such awe of their beauty. I can’t wait to have my own windstone family of pyo and more!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.