Hatching Dragons: What's your opinion?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Hatching Dragons: What's your opinion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

JENNIFER HERE: so that this stays on top@
      I’m making a Poll for Melody here so that she can more easily see our opinions!

To be clear, we are talking about the type of hatching dragon as photographed below:

Melody wrote:

Quote:

Ok, let me tell you the problem with the hatchers, you folks can give me your opinions about what we should do:
      This was the very first dragon I sculpted for Windstone and I had no idea what I was doing. This piece is sculpted in a way that makes them nearly impossible to paint quickly enough that we can afford to sell them wholesale. They take WAY longer to paint than a big adult dragon!
      For this reason my dream come true would be to RETIRE the buggers, and hopefully replace them with another baby dragon that is easier to paint.
      So – our options are:
      A. retire them,
      B.sell only small batches at full price through our store and charge an unreasonable sounding amount for them,
      or C. charge a small fortune for them so we can afford to sell them wholesale to our retail customers
      Also, I should add that these hatchers are probably the very best selling dragons we have! πŸ™„

Also feel free to discuss!! Try and keep this one mostly on topic if you can, please. πŸ™‚
      Jennifer OUT!

azurielle: My vote: Retire them, and make a cuter, easier to paint one! I was never fond of the little hatchers to begin with. πŸ™‚ Maybe a cute baby fledgeling dragon, all curled up, or something.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Azurielle
      Participant

Keeper of the Fledgings

Mmloda
        Participant

I would have to vote for option A, to retire them and maybe crate a new baby dragon to go with the family! πŸ˜‰

I have never been a fan of the abby dragon sculpt and currently I don’t own one!

Marzena

yolanda
          Participant

azurielle wrote:

My vote: Retire them, and make a cuter, easier to paint one! I was never fond of the little hatchers to begin with. πŸ™‚ Maybe a cute baby fledgeling dragon, all curled up, or something.

I am so with ya on this one ! πŸ˜€

Anonymous

I would choose option B

If you have a best selling dragon, why on earth would you end it? That doesn’t make sense to me. Charge full price for them in the store and if it continues to be your best selling dragon, there’s a reason. They make great gifts, they are affordable because they are small but if you are talking about doubling the price to where a fledgling would be the same price, I don’t know if they would remain your best seller. I think customers often start their Windstone collection with a hatching baby. It’s the gift a person receives to open them up to your world. I know I have given many hatchings as gifts.

I never understand why someone changes something that works, but that’s just my opinion.

Of course, another new sculpt is always welcomed by everyone, so no reason not to continue with that πŸ˜‰ LOL Like a hatching Muse! hahaha

Skeeterdeee
              Participant

Could we have a little of A and B? I agree I would LOVE a new baby, but I STILL haven’t gotten my hands on a hatching emperor πŸ™„

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I’m making a Poll for Melody here so that she can more easily see our opinions!

To be clear, we are talking about the type of hatching dragon as photographed below:

Melody wrote:

Quote:

Ok, let me tell you the problem with the hatchers, you folks can give me your opinions about what we should do:
                  This was the very first dragon I sculpted for Windstone and I had no idea what I was doing. This piece is sculpted in a way that makes them nearly impossible to paint quickly enough that we can afford to sell them wholesale. They take WAY longer to paint than a big adult dragon!
                  For this reason my dream come true would be to RETIRE the buggers, and hopefully replace them with another baby dragon that is easier to paint.
                  So – our options are:
                  A. retire them,
                  B.sell only small batches at full price through our store and charge an unreasonable sounding amount for them,
                  or C. charge a small fortune for them so we can afford to sell them wholesale to our retail customers
                  Also, I should add that these hatchers are probably the very best selling dragons we have! πŸ™„

Also feel free to discuss!! Try and keep this one mostly on topic if you can, please. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Adaneth
                  Participant

Thanks for the poll, Nam!

I voted for small batches in the store, not because I like the sculpt (I don’t) but because I’m sure there’s some folks out there really attached to them who would like to get the sculpt in more colors. If the sculpt were retired, I’d shed no tears, but I don’t see how it would be successful trying to sell such a time-consuming-to-paint sculpt at a price that would make a profit to Windstone but NOT turn off random shoppers who expect smaller = cheaper at general dealers.

Just my two cents! πŸ™‚

Nicole
                    Participant

I vote retire them. I’ve never really liked the sculpt itself and I only have one of these babies because he’s in emerald. I would love to see a new baby dragon. Something more along the line of the royal hatchers and fledglings would be exciting to see. Although I can’t see how selling these babies at the price they should be sold at in small batches would be a bad idea for the store as long as it was cost effective, just so people could still get one of each sculpt in their favorite color. But if I have to pick one I pick to end them.

Diana L
                      Participant

I also vote to retire them. I have two in white that I bought in the mid 90’s and haven’t gotten any since as they are not a favorite of mine. A cuter small baby would be perfect and make it one that is easier to paint and in all the colors. (would love one in a new color too) Now that I think of it, aren’t some babies different colors than parents til they grow bigger? (pink and/or purple baby dragons :grins:)

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

I voted to retire them… While I love the baby oriental dragon I’m not that fond of the hatchers and a ‘new baby’ to add to the family would be wonderful-maybe how our Pixel kitty sleeps on her brisket with her paws all tucked underneath her and her tail curled up πŸ˜• πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Melody
                          Keymaster

πŸ˜€ yay!

I also voted to retire them. I have 3 of them…They are not my favorite, in fact, never have been. They used to be around $25 which made them nice to put on a Christmas or Birthday list…Now, not so much. I’d be all for something that took it’s place in the family, and was sorta the same size, but without a price increase. It’s easier anymore for people 2 get others GC’s from the store that they can add together and get something, or just add to some cash to get what they want IMO. πŸ˜•

Syn
                            Participant

I dislike them. The one I had, I gave away gratis with something I sold. That person doesn’t like them either after actually seeing one.

I agree that you need something inexpensive to introduce people to Windstones, but I vote to replace this baby hatcher with something new in the same price range. πŸ™‚

pipsxlch
                              Participant

His face is cute and I don’t dislike them, but the egg is so disproportionately small that it throws me every time. (the rock base kind of does also) I do think it’s important to have a less-expensive starter piece for the stores, though. From their perspective, how many people (especially in today’s economy) are going to waltz in everyday to sink $300 on a dragon statue? It’s a lot easier to push a $50-ish one on the broke, uncertain, and gift-buyer. Also a lot cheaper to have the smaller one shipped to the store! (I have spoken to one retailer for whom the expense of shipping played a big part in their decision to no longer carry them)

Guess I’m trying to say that I would support discontinuing the hatcher, but only if/when a replacement at a similar price point is introduced.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.