fbpx

Hard Decisions

Home Forums Miscellany Community Hard Decisions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

After a bad night running solo shift at the gaming store, I think I’ve finally met my match with immaturity, and I’m contemplating selling out of the business.

I have another colleauge (sp?) who recently purchased an electronics wholesale company from a dying family (horrible, first the owner died, then his brother who took it over).

I’ve done a bit of consulting work for him, rewired his entire phone system, network, alarm, computer work, a few days of sales, you name it, and he outright offered me a full time position in electronics sales if I wanted it.

I tried it for a few days along side of my other job and told him on Friday that I couldn’t hack both — but now I’m thinking about leaving the gaming side and going with him full time.

The downside is that Wild Rose will suffer. It will have to remain as a sideline company, and can not expand properly. Don’t get me wrong, it will live, the new server will come .. it will run just the way is now .. haphazard .. I can only deal with problems in the evening. Key point: Right now I run Wild Rose during the day (or sleep is there is no problems) and work the gaming store at night.

I quit a government job this year because of stress, but after talking with my spouse we agree it was due to the bureaucratic procedure that was killing me (because when I see broken things, I must fix them NOW – and it just doesn’t work that way there), so my worries about full time work in that regard aren’t there.

Oh woe.. what to do.. the gaming store is just so full of yelling, screaming kids, and I’m 28 years old with infinite knowledge in computers, electronics, programming, databasing, mechanics, robotics … why am I tending till and cleaning toilets…

This should really be a no brainer … the only issue is the backburning of Wild Rose during the day again .. (and alienating a friend who I’ve partnered with to run this store…) .. but then I’d get to spend time with my spouse again….

The new server should really remove any of those problems — but I don’t like to ignore clients during the day … but on the other side, I keep the processes running well enough that they don’t *have* problems πŸ˜€

Yes, I realize Windstone is a client, and I’m being amazingly blunt here, but that’s how I am. Cards are out front, always have been.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Skigod377
        Participant

You would desert us? πŸ˜₯ Im just kidding. All in all, you have to do whats best for your future and what will make you (And family) happy. I hope you would still manage the website, because I love it and have never had any problems with it. I dont want to know what kind of problems can happen with a website if its not maintained properly. As for dealing with screaming gaming kids… it does not sound like fun. Do what makes you happy and whats best for your blood pressure.

Maria
          Participant

The way you describe it I’d go for the job that lets you spend more time with your spouse and lets you do what you’re good at. (I’m sure you’re good at cleaning toilets, but that ain’t the point. πŸ™‚ ) As for alienating a friend, well, he should be able to congratulate your choice to do whatever you prefer. And if Wild Rose has been “haphazard” until now, I see no problem with letting it stay “haphazard” – this website has run admirably well on “haphazard.”
            Good luck and best wishes on whatever you decide.

I think family is really important and spending time with your spouse is a great thing. My husband just went from a 6-3pm job to a 7-5pm job. Going from 4 hours with his son to an hour and a half and 6 hours with me to 4. It’s killing him. I think you should go for the less-stress job. Concerning your business partner I know about friends being upset with you but you can’t live your life on his judgment of your decision. You have to do what is best for you and your family- if that means taking the less stress job then that’s what you have to do.

Participant

I agree with everyone else. You need to do what is best for your and aligned with your future plans and goals. It sounds like the game job is good for your side business, but just doesn’t lend to your talents. It seems a waste to not perform at your full potential – then again, time with family also needs to be given equal consideration. You shouldn’t feel bad or need to justify your decisions to anyone. Don’t feel bad about what this change may or maynot do to your business partner, utlimately you have to make a choice that is right for you, for you are ultimately responsible for yourself.

Bob

you have to do what is best for you!!

NirvanaCat13
                Participant

Whatever you do, we support you. Because that’s what friends do! And you are our friend.

Anonymous

Well, I made some decisions today. The new server will be finalized and ordered tomorrow for one.

More to come.

if i knew anything about webhosting, i’d offer to help! But sadly i only know of website building and designing :/ Goodluck with whatever you decide to do!

Anonymous

I need an accountant, not a programmer. Someone to keep up with the paperwork. 😑

NirvanaCat13
                      Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

I need an accountant, not a programmer. Someone to keep up with the paperwork. 😑

Where are you at? =P I’m good at paperwork!

Anonymous

Can you handle fix asset rollovers, sales tax postings, preferred bond payment daily interest multicurrency conversions, and do proper personal vs. business vehicle milage calculations? That’s what I’m backlogged on… πŸ˜†

NirvanaCat13
                          Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Can you handle fix asset rollovers, sales tax postings, preferred bond payment daily interest multicurrency conversions, and do proper personal vs. business vehicle milage calculations? That’s what I’m backlogged on… πŸ˜†

I learn quickly. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Ah yes, but CRA likes paperwork done by people with letters after their name. I’m going to have to hire out a pro this year… ah well, with success comes expense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.