fbpx

Gryphon and Ki-Rin… FINISHED! Pics! 11/23

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Gryphon and Ki-Rin… FINISHED! Pics! 11/23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    ladybrooklyn
    Participant

Ok… so it’s nearly midnight… I’ve been working on my first PYO gryph all night… and I’m just to tickled I HAVE to show her off! πŸ˜€

And here are the full sized pics…

http://members.cox.net/desertsunstudios/Apple/gryphon%20001.jpg

One layer of pastels over an acrylic basecoat… she’ll be a really dark brown/black with red highlights…

http://members.cox.net/desertsunstudios/Apple/gryphon%20002.jpg

I’m basing her on Harris Hawks… which are native to the Sonoran Desert… ^.^ Like this…

http://www.duiops.net/seresvivos/galeria/aves/Getting%20the%20Lay%20of%20the%20Land,%20Harris’%20Hawk.jpg

Comments and crits are welcome… though there’s not much to crit yet… πŸ˜†

ladybrooklyn
      Participant

NirvanaCat13
        Participant

Very pretty russet, I will look forward to the finished product! (Or progress reports periodicaly!)

Skigod377
          Participant

Purty!

Maria
            Participant

The third link doesn’t work, Brook, but I know how a Harris hawk looks. Nice griff. At first I thought he was a new creation by the Lindt chocolate factory over the hill, but a second glance said otherwise. πŸ˜€

Greater Basilisk wrote:

The third link doesn’t work, Brook, but I know how a Harris hawk looks. Nice griff. At first I thought he was a new creation by the Lindt chocolate factory over the hill, but a second glance said otherwise. πŸ˜€

You have to copy and past the whole thing.

ladybrooklyn
              Participant

I made the mistake of taking her with me to work today… so I could work on her feather detailing a bit… 😯 She’s been staring at me… and talking to me all day…

I wanna go home!!!! πŸ˜† I wanna work on her!

Haha, I thought about taking mine to work with me…but they would probably frown apon it and then I probably wouldn’t get anything done on the griffin or at work.

ladybrooklyn
                Participant

Well.. when it gets slow here… it REALLY gets slow… not to mention when I’m working on a horse (or in this case… gryph… :lol:) I can’t stop thinking about it anyway… so might as well have it sit beside me at work.. grin at me… and tell me how they want to be painted.

Then I have a clear vision of how to proceed when I get home.

And my coworkers like to see my stuff too. :mrgreen:

SPark
                  Participant

Explain this “pastels” thing. You use chalk pastels? Or oil pastels? Or something else entirely.

ladybrooklyn
                    Participant

Chalk pastels…

Take them… crush them up into a dust… and then you “dust” the model (be it horse, gryphon, dragon or otherwise) with the color desired.

Once you have dusted or blended the pastels to your liking… you take it outside… and spray it with your clear acrylic sealer.

Basically you keep doing this until you are satisfied with the color. πŸ˜€

My gryphon… for instance… only has one layer of brown and black shaded onto her feathers. Since I’m going for the Harris Hawk look… I have a long way until her head and upper body finally reach that DEEP dark brown. πŸ˜€

I like it because it’s a way to get good subtle shading without having to fight and blend acrylics.. when generally leads (at least for me) to visible brush strokes…

DRAT and double drat… the artist who “pioneered” this method in the model horse hobby had a tutorial on her site… but she’s taken it down to redo it. Blast!

Lemme go through my links and what not when I get home… if you need more info or a more detailed description… πŸ˜€

Man I just cannot wait to get home to work on this critter some more! tempted not to go work out… πŸ˜›

Hmm. I’ve done chalk pastel shading on pictures before, for subtle shading. I wonder how it would look if you used just chalk pastel dust. Maybe I’ll try it when my dragon (yay!) comes. I don’t have any chalk pastels now though, are they expensive? The chalk sticks to the statue after you’ve sprayed it with sealer?

I can’t wait to see how your gryphy turns out! I love harris hawks, thats my sprit animal, though none live around here πŸ™

ladybrooklyn
                      Participant

It depends… Chalk pastels CAN be expensive…. if you go that route. πŸ™‚ Of course if you do… you get more color choices… more vibrant colors… etc… πŸ˜€

I, however… go the cheep route and use “Alphacolor” or somethign similar found at michael’s etc… πŸ˜€

One day I will branche out and get better pastels… πŸ˜›

YAY! time to go home… will post more later! πŸ˜€

NirvanaCat13
                        Participant

I did a really cool technique in HS once, I had a drawing of a girl, naked in the doorway to a tile shower, holding a knife in one hand and had a cut on the other wrist which was reaching up the doorway. (teenage depression stage) She was backlit so that most of her was shadow. I used very mild black to brown/grey colors, just doing a strip of black, then a strip of brown then a strip of lighter brown, so on and so forth, kind of over lapping them. Then I took a wet pait brush and went over the loose chalky residue from the pastels, it turned out looking like an oil painting….I wish I still had it, but someone in the class stole it out of my art drawer. Sorry if none of that made sense….Anyway…

ladybrooklyn
                          Participant

New pics! New pics!

Once again… after midnight… πŸ˜†

http://members.cox.net/azbrooklyn/WIP/gryphon%20003.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azbrooklyn/WIP/gryphon%20004.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azbrooklyn/WIP/gryphon%20005.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azbrooklyn/WIP/gryphon%20006.jpg

The cream of the wings still need detailing… and the lion half needs pastel shading… But I think the upper half is ALMOST done…

Of course… as with most of the pieces I paint… (horses etc…) they take on a mind of their own. At some point she decided that she didn’t want to be as dark as a Harris Hawk… I really started to like the contrast with the red and the darker brown… so it started to build… and well… not sure I can change it now… πŸ˜†

What do you think of the off white around her toes? leave it? blend it more? or get rid of it?

Anywho… better get off to bed now… gotta work tomorrow.. UGH!

EDIT: 3rd picture link fixed…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.