fbpx

Greater Basilisk's Fruitcake

Home Forums Miscellany Food Greater Basilisk's Fruitcake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Okay, Mimi, I got the recipe. She took it from the old Fanny Farmer cookbook and modified the fruit ingredients:

Cover 1 lb. of mixed candied fruit, cut small, with boiling water, let stand 2 hrs. and drain.
    I used 1 cup of boiling apple juice instead of water and reduced the amount of candied fruit a little.

3/4 cup dried currants (1/2 cup candied mango)
    1/2 cup candied citron (1/2 cup candied papaya)
    1/2 cup candied pineapple
    4 oz. candied cherries (deleted this)
    1.5 cups chopped pecans
    (Vary as you will. The amount of fruit doesn’t make a difference.)

Set oven at 325Β° and line the pans with aluminum foil.
    I lined the bottom of a 8.5″ x 5″ nonstick loaf pan with waxed paper and baked for 1 hr. 25 min. In retrospect, I think a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan would’ve been better because it took so long for the center to cook that the edges got a little bit overdone. With the 9″ x 5″ pan size it probably would’ve taken 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 min.

Sift together:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp mace
    1/4 tsp ground cloves

Beat together:
    1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp lemon extract

Stir in:
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/2 cup milk

Mix it all together and bake for 1.25 hours.
    After beating the butter, sugar, and lemon extract together, I next beat in the eggs well, and then the molasses. Then I stirred in the flour mixture and milk, adding half of each in alternate additions. Finallly, I stirred in the candied fruit and nuts.

And that’s that. It doesn’t keep forever either. We always eat it in a flash, and if we didn’t, it would actually go bad. πŸ˜€
    I finally had a chance to make this yesterday and its delicious! Thanks for posting it. I did end up modifying it a little bit so I’ve put my modifications/comments in red above for anyone who’s interested.

By the way, I moved this over from the other thread so that people could find it more easily…

Maria
    Participant

I like your modifications, Mimi. Good idea to move it, too – I should have thoguht of that myself. It sounds as yummy as Mom’s!

Thanks! I love tropical fruits…as you can tell… πŸ™‚

NirvanaCat13
      Participant

mimitrek wrote:

Thanks! I love tropical fruits…as you can tell… πŸ™‚

You are a tropical fruit? LoL πŸ˜€

No, I think I’m more of a nut… πŸ™‚

A nutty fruit? πŸ˜†

I’m not fruity…just nutty… πŸ˜†

One other comment on the fruitcake: it tastes even better the next day! I just had a piece for dessert…yum…

Maria
        Participant

I should have told you that. The older you let it get, the better it tastes, especially if it has rum in it. (All to a certain degree, of course.)

And assuming that there’s any left by the next day. πŸ™‚

Ah…there are some advantages to having a boyfriend who’s allergic to fruit…he he he…

Maria
          Participant

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Actually, that’s sad. He can’t eat any fruit at all? I couldn’t live without my fruit.

Me too…I love fruit of all kinds.

I think the only fruits that he can eat are grapes and watermelon, and he doesn’t like those very much. If he eats any other kind of fruit, he gets an allergic reaction of varying intensity, depending on the type and amount of fruit eaten — strawberries are the worst for him. If he eats those, then his throat starts swelling up and he can’t breathe (luckily he had only eaten a couple at the time he found this out!).

Maria
            Participant

That must be awful. Would he like most fruit if he could eat it?

Yes…but nowadays he knows what he’s allergic to so its not a problem. I guess “you can’t miss what you never had” so not being able to eat fruit doesn’t really bother him. I think he’s not that fond of fruit anyway. By the way, he doesn’t have any problem with veggies, so he eats a lot of those.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.