Great Shipping Debate

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Great Shipping Debate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I have a question for the seasoned professionals.

My larger dragons, and unicorns (all my pieces that have horns) have been purchased during my travels in person.

One particular seller I bought from in person, who luckily does retain the original packaging, always wants to stick the dragons in the box horn side down, when she sells them to me for my car ride home. I think she is a really sweet person AND she insists that is the way they are supposed to go in the box, but I wonder. I wonder if someone else who does the unpacking for her doesn’t just put the packaging back in the box in the reverse and she is just confused.

I am sure many of you have received many large pieces directly from Windstone. I have only ordered smaller pieces directly, so I am unsure. Are the dragons supposed to be riding horn side down? I have seen enough bent horns in pictures to make me worry.

I don’t want to argue with the woman, but I always go and flip the box right away. Riding a lot of miles with the weight on their horns gives me a stomach ache just thinking about it.

I will be waiting for your input!

Wampus Dragon
    Participant

I know for a fact the Old Warriors AND the lap dragons are supposed to be packed and shipped face down/horn side down. So that isnt weird. Thats the way the packing shells fit them.

Kiya
      Participant

It doesn’t really matter which side is down as long as they’re still in their original insert. I guarantee that UPS and USPS aren’t careful to make sure they’re always “this end up”. πŸ™‚

WolfenMachine
        Participant

Yeah, if you have the original boxes, it won’t matter which way they face. You CAN take the inserts out and flip them around if you are uncomfortable putting them in head down πŸ˜‰

Danzig Moon (Karen)
          Participant

My BVP O.W. arrived yesterday and was upside down. πŸ˜‰

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

My BVP O.W. arrived yesterday and was upside down. πŸ˜‰

O.K. that solves it. The lady was right. I’m going with how Windstone ships. Good points about shippers not paying attention to right side up though.

If I had my druthers all Windstones would be float to us on a cloud and be placed directly in our hands. LOL! Perhaps I have trust issues? πŸ˜‰

siberakh1
            Participant

While you may place the original box in a certain way, the shipping company is not going to care to keep a box the same way at all times. The box will probably bounce around a bit and end up on any one of it’s sides at some point during it’s journey (things that say ‘Keep this side up’ may prevent that at least much of the time), so I don’t think in the long run it will matter, as long as the piece is packaged securely in it’s original packaging and well supported inside another box. Keep that in mind.

So true. Double boxing has always been a staple for me, but was unsure about the horns up/horns down thing on the big guys. THANKS!

littleironhorse
              Participant

John actually answered a question about this recently, I can’t remember the title of the thread.

It’s not that they’re “supposed” to be shipped horn side down, it’s just the way they are packed because dragons stay more firmly in place for packing when put face first into the fitted cardboard insert. If they were placed into the back part first, since it’s more rounded, the dragon might shift and it would be more difficult to fit the other insert correctly before closing the box.

Or something along those lines…

John actually answered a question about this recently, I can’t remember the title of the thread.

It’s not that they’re “supposed” to be shipped horn side down, it’s just the way they are packed because dragons stay more firmly in place for packing when put face first into the fitted cardboard insert. If they were placed into the back part first, since it’s more rounded, the dragon might shift and it would be more difficult to fit the other insert correctly before closing the box.

Thanks for that L.I.H.! Makes sense. I just want to make sure when/if I ever ship a big guy that I am doing it as much like Windstone as possible. Have read some other threads and suggestions and have had nothing but rave reviews on my shipping of smaller pieces and I just wanted to do thorough research on larger ones.

Pam

You’ve got it right πŸ™‚

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

The killer of most Windstones in transit is not their orientation; it’s the ability to move. So they are packed in the way that they are the snuggest in their containers– be that original box with custom inserts, or a bubble-wrap burrito. Free movement within a shipping vessel will break them faster than anything else. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Hannah
                    Participant

What everyone else said!!

I just make it a point to stuff the box nearly to the point of the top being bowed out – if I can seal it up and it stays sealed overnight, I pick the box up and shake it. If nothing moves around, it’s packed well enough πŸ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Thanks, that’s what I’ve always done (packing in tightly) and have had good luck so far (crosses fingers). I appreciate all the insight.

Susie
                      Keymaster

While we are on this track – the other important thing to remember about repacking a Windstone is that the hang tag should not touch the painted surface – position it flat against the felt bottom. If against the paint it can leave ink marks on the animal.

And remember to place the item in a plastic bag – head up this time, so he can breathe! – to protect the painted surface from scuffing against the cardboard insert.

The inserts are designed to hold the figurine firmly in place – once in a while we don’t get them quite right (or the box isn’t quite right) and we stuff extra cardboard in there to press the two halves together firmly. If you can hear it move in the sealed box, put more stuffing in. Don’t feel bad about turning them upside down (dragons calm like bunnies when you turn them over) and unicorns especially are more comfortable with a nice snug straight jacket to travel in!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.