fbpx

Grab bag pre-orders

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Grab bag pre-orders

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ann

Hi Melody

I can’t remember if this has been asked before, but is it possible to pre-order the grab bags? Say, for a certain amount of time (few hours or a day) users are able to order and pay in full for a grab bag? This would alleviate the throw down that happens whenever they go in the store. If there are too many requests, maybe randomly draw names?

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Windstone has never implemented a preorder system. One main reason why is because sometimes Melody simply does not know how many of something she may be able to paint. I’m sure there are lots of other reasons, but that’s one of the reasons why they implemented the “notify” button so they can try and calculate more accurately how much of a particular item they may need for restocking purposes. Also, when it is restocked you get a reminder which was a great upgrade to the site. Believe it or not, all these features were not around when the forum began.

While I’m sure Windstone doesn’t like dealing with the throw down in the store whenever these are released, I seriously doubt a business would be able to input a lottery system like that unfortunately. It’s not a bad idea, but think of how much work it would be for Windstone to do this with every batch of grab bags? It would be a nightmare. Then people would probably complain that some person hasn’t gotten picked several times, while some other people have had the luck to get picked the last 3 times, so on and so fourth. It’s all about luck there.

Whenever the supply cannot reach the demand there are bound to be customers who are a bit broken hearted.

Honestly… the best way to probably avoid people being disappointed is to just hold them back and release them in large batches so people don’t complain after about how they didn’t get one. It will always be inevitable for people to be upset when the customers outnumber the product to go around. We just need to all be patient for there to be more and hope people are considerate enough to not order from the new batch if they bought from this one.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

LadyFirebird
        Participant

Windstone has never implemented a preorder system. One main reason why is because sometimes Melody simply does not know how many of something she may be able to paint. I’m sure there are lots of other reasons, but that’s one of the reasons why they implemented the “notify” button so they can try and calculate more accurately how much of a particular item they may need for restocking purposes. Also, when it is restocked you get a reminder which was a great upgrade to the site. Believe it or not, all these features were not around when the forum began.

While I’m sure Windstone doesn’t like dealing with the throw down in the store whenever these are released, I seriously doubt a business would be able to input a lottery system like that unfortunately. It’s not a bad idea, but think of how much work it would be for Windstone to do this with every batch of grab bags? It would be a nightmare. Then people would probably complain that some person hasn’t gotten picked several times, while some other people have had the luck to get picked the last 3 times, so on and so fourth. It’s all about luck there.

Whenever the supply cannot reach the demand there are bound to be customers who are a bit broken hearted.

Honestly… the best way to probably avoid people being disappointed is to just hold them back and release them in large batches so people don’t complain after about how they didn’t get one. It will always be inevitable for people to be upset when the customers outnumber the product to go around. We just need to all be patient for there to be more and hope people are considerate enough to not order from the new batch if they bought from this one.

Very well said

Kiya
          Participant

The pre-order thing comes up periodically. Windstone really HAS thought about this, but it doesn’t work for them. There are really two ways of doing a pre-order, either before you make the product to ensure you have adequate supply, or after you make the product. Neither one of these are really practical.

Before production – There are just TOO MANY things that could go wrong for Melody to commit to a number based on pre-orders. Things take longer than expected, the casting may go sideways, she doesn’t get to start when she thinks she will, etc.

If people pre-pay, then they get impatient or have second thoughts and Windstone is left having to refund orders. Aside from being a paperwork nightmare, for a small company, refunding money you THINK you have (and used to pay bills) is a disaster.

If they don’t pre-pay, you get a lot of people who don’t follow up on buying, plus you have to send out tons of invoices, then cancel tons of invoices because people changed their minds, then put them in the store anyway to sell them off.

After production – This doesn’t help any. By the time the unicorns are done, you have a finite amount of product and you’re just moving the chaos from one point in the process to another. There’s no benefit and the store is just as crazy for the pre-orders as it was putting them in.

Order Lottery – Legalities aside (I think it is legal as long as you don’t charge entry, but I’m really not sure), it’s an administrative nightmare. Susie is the only office person. For her to get all the information from people, perform the drawing, send out notifications to the winners, give them time to pay (or not pay), redraw, etc… That’s a load of time she can’t be doing other things. Unfortunately time = money, so if they DID go to this type of a system, they’d have to charge MORE for grab bags to account for all the extra time to administer it! I don’t think anyone wants that!

As far as holding out for a larger batch – they don’t have any more unicorn casts right now. And there is a new gypsum problem. It’s not really practical for Windstone to hold on to product until they get another batch ready to go. They have bills to pay in the mean time, so they kind of need to sell things as they are ready to go. I don’t think it was ever Melody’s intention to do such a small batch – it just kind of worked out that way. πŸ™

Windstone is not a big company making barrels of money. Plus they have around 20 employees relying on them to pay them. They have to do what’s needed to get product out the door in a timely fashion (remember, they pay for it months before we do in terms of raw materials and labor!)

I know it’s not always ideal and it’s not always the way we want it to be, but at the end of the day, I promise they are ALWAYS doing the absolute best they can in the set of circumstances they are given.

*hops off soap box*

Jennifer
            Keymaster

If people pre-pay, then they get impatient or have second thoughts and Windstone is left having to refund orders. Aside from being a paperwork nightmare, for a small company, refunding money you THINK you have (and used to pay bills) is a disaster.

If they don’t pre-pay, you get a lot of people who don’t follow up on buying, plus you have to send out tons of invoices, then cancel tons of invoices because people changed their minds, then put them in the store anyway to sell them off.

These two situations also cause a nightmare in doing taxes for a small business. I know!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Ann

That’s cool. If W.E. did move to something more mellow, that would ruin the adrenaline rush for grab bags, which is part of the fun. :p

However, I may be wrong, but with the lottos there are already computer programs that do it for you, so work on Susie wouldn’t be an issue. I am fine if the reason is you simply don’t want to. Like I said, it wouldn’t be as exciting.

Kiya
                Participant

That’s cool. If W.E. did move to something more mellow, that would ruin the adrenaline rush for grab bags, which is part of the fun. :p

However, I may be wrong, but with the lottos there are already computer programs that do it for you, so work on Susie wouldn’t be an issue. I am fine if the reason is you simply don’t want to. Like I said, it wouldn’t be as exciting.

Even if you use a computer program you have to put the information into the program, send out the invoices, cancel the invoices, ask the computer to redraw for people who don’t wan the unicorn if they are picked, and keep track of all of it.

So, yes, it would be extra work. Still not sure on the legalities either, we’d have to investigate on a state by state and a country by country basis. πŸ™‚ in some countries lotteries of any kind are not allowed, so it could impact international buyers.

Hannah
                  Participant

Just have to say I disagree with this entirely. I don’t find it fun at all. For me, it’s stressful and anxiety-ridden. The product is worth it, but I certainly never find any joy or fun in trying to order these.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                    Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Kiya
                    Participant

Just have to say I disagree with this entirely. I don’t find it fun at all. For me, it’s stressful and anxiety-ridden. The product is worth it, but I certainly never find any joy or fun in trying to order these.

If a more mellow way is found that’s fair, legal, and doesn’t cause an administrative nightmare, believe me, they’ll use it! πŸ™‚ I don’t think anyone really enjoys the store-crashing crazy combined with the post-launch misery!

I’ve asked about ALL these things (pre-orders, delaying batches, lotteries, etc). They aren’t bad ideas – just currently not feasible. πŸ™

Pam

I think pre-orders for Windstones are only feasible if you are ok with:
                        – waiting an undisclosed amount of time for your unicorn, possibly months
                        – possibly never getting your unicorn
                        – no refunds

πŸ˜‰

However, we can see how many people press the notify button, so we can tell how many people want a unicorn. Its just a matter of being able to cast enough and Melody being able to paint that many.

Melissa
                        Participant

*chews on thoughts* I was bummed not to get one, but that’s how it goes.

Been thinking, I don’t want to make unfair work or stress for the Windstone crew, but it’d be awesome to have an assurance of getting one, that doesn’t rely on great timing, luck and a great internet connection.

Might an option be prepaying for a pre-order (in which the product is well-described and a worst-case scenario timeframe for completion is given), tacking on a 10% handling/PITA surcharge for the convenience (and the extra work) but if disaster befalls the batch, turning the pre-order cost and PITA surcharge both, into a gift certificate/store credit.

If there’s a specific time window a preorder can be purchased in, (like a month?) after which the window closes till the critters hit the stores, that would make the pre-order rather exclusive, so between that and the 10% surcharge, people would be disinclined to back out of it, unless they had very pressing matters.

This isn’t exactly a ‘nice’ option for either the store or customers, but best I can currently figure out.

Setsunawolf
                          Participant

I think pre-orders for Windstones are only feasible if you are ok with:
                            – waiting an undisclosed amount of time for your unicorn, possibly months
                            – possibly never getting your unicorn
                            – no refunds

πŸ˜‰

However, we can see how many people press the notify button, so we can tell how many people want a unicorn. Its just a matter of being able to cast enough and Melody being able to paint that many.

Don’t have a problem waiting an undisclosed amount of time. Months is fine.
                            I’d want a uni–but I’d wait if it was a guarantee
                            No problem w/ no refunds as long as i got the uni.

But I laughed at your though process Pam. πŸ™‚

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.