fbpx

Gonna try to paint my own first timer!!!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Gonna try to paint my own first timer!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Temperance
    Participant

I would love some advice/pointers on painting my own dragon. What is the best paiht to use and any other tips you all might have! Looking forward to your replys. Thank all. Much love!!!

Temperance.elevyn

Melody
      Keymaster

Use some kind of fluid acrylic, not “heavy body”. Craft quality paints work well, but may not be color fast.
        You can paint on a base coat of color first, black if you are using metallic paint, white if you are using flat colors, but this isn’t always necessary. The undersides of the sculpt will absorb more paint, so you may need to give that area a few extra coats.
        Paint the eye sockets black.

Temperance
        Participant

Thank you. I ordered some paint and im a little nervous but ready to get started. I love your work.

Temperance.elevyn

Bodine
          Participant

You will love it.At first it might seem a little intimidating but once you start you can get hooked really easy.Share your work.Any questions you have just ask.Someone will step up to help.Happy painting!

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Landipan
            Participant

I really like Golden fluid acrylics, but really I think craft store does just fine too, the artist brand paints seem to be nicer in color clarity and finish but craft brands usually do what you need them to do, at least in my experience!

Enjoy painting, the pyos are really beautiful and fun to paint I think you’ll love it!

*Formerly meowmix101
              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

tig3r06
              Participant

I use golden, liquitex to lots of craft store types too. Cant wait to see what you paint!

pipsxlch
                Participant

I always base coat my figures, I remember an old tutorial recommended it. I also use the Golden brand fluid paints as they were recommended. Pricey, but worth it. I’ve used craft brand paints, but they look flat and dead next to something painted with the Goldens is the best way I can describe it. It seems to have a depth and richness lacking in the cheap paints, and is advertised as archival. The thinner, fluid consistency lets you layer easily, and doesn’t fill and obscure the fine details of the sculpt.

Re: the base coat- it can be any color. I generally use white, black is good for dark schemes, but it can be whatever color you want to start with. I’ve used peach, pink, and light green.

Hope
                  Participant

Thank you for posting this question. I was wondering too! I can’t wait to get started. I have been holding on to my PYOs for a year!

Debi
                    Participant

Attached is my first PYO! Just toke my time! Been collecting since 1989! Love everything Windstone!

Debi Jean

Bodine
                      Participant

Nice job!Congrats.Let me guess,now you want more😁

We will be having a forum member PYO Swap soon.Why don’t you join us? The more the merrier.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Debi
                        Participant

OH YES!! MORE!! JUST ORDERED 2 MORE AND FINISHED THE ONE ATTACHED HERE LOL

Debi Jean

Marianna
                          Participant

Hi pipsxlch,

What a great idea. I have some waiting for me to complete and these suggestions will all come in handy when I finally get down to it. Thank you all!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.