GETTING RID OF INCENSE SMELL

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs GETTING RID OF INCENSE SMELL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Scathach
    Participant

I got a couple of pieces recently and when they arrived, they smelled like incense.

I’m scared to put them in with my other Windstones for fear that they might contaminate them. Right now, they are sitting in another case with a dish of baking soda to help absorb the odor. Which does seem to help, but not fast or enough. It’s been 2 weeks and they still smell a bit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

I saw a thread about removing cigarette smoke smell, but can’t find it right now, so sorry if this is a redundant question, but I would like to know.

Thanks.

Life is beautiful.

Amy
      Participant

Putting them into a sealed plastic bag with a dish of activated charcoal is supposed to help.

I did this and left the pieces sitting pad up for a while. They don’t smell anymore 🙂

Most of all I’d just suggest fresh air and time though. Don’t keep them closed up. They need airflow.

Funny how stores that sell Windstone and incense seem to go hand in hand. I have actually started to associate Windstone pieces with the smell of incense at this point. 🙂

John
        Keymaster

Ozone will destroy the odor and probably not hurt the paint or pad. If you know anyone with an ozone generator like the ones used to kill odors in hotel rooms or from fire damage that you could borrow it should do it. However, you don’t want to breath the ozone so you can’t do it in a room that you occupy and it will damage latex rubber so you need to be careful of that as well.

dragonmedley
          Participant

If the weather is nice, you can also air them outside.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Scathach
            Participant

Thanks to Amy Jane.

I’ll give that a shot.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
              Participant

Thanks Windstone Wench
                I was surprised. I haven’t bought too many pieces in the past, but more recently. I got these two from 2 different places. As soon as I opened the boxes, the smell hit me! Anyway, I’ll try the charcoal/fresh air approach before I put them with their adopted families.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
                Participant

Thanks dragonmedly
                  The weather here’s not the best for dragon outdoor activities at the moment, but certainly worth keeping in mind for milder days.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
                  Participant

Thanks John
                    I don’t know anyone with one of those machines, but I can see the principle of how it would work.

Life is beautiful.

Amy
                    Participant

Thanks to Amy Jane.

I’ll give that a shot.

Let me know how it works out 🙂

Scathach
                      Participant

Thanks, I will. Right now I’ve just got them all airing out in a room where they can’t get knocked around. I’m going out today and will pick up the activated charcoal.

Life is beautiful.

KoishiiKitty
                        Participant

Ozone will destroy the odor and probably not hurt the paint or pad. If you know anyone with an ozone generator like the ones used to kill odors in hotel rooms or from fire damage that you could borrow it should do it. However, you don’t want to breath the ozone so you can’t do it in a room that you occupy and it will damage latex rubber so you need to be careful of that as well.

This is all true. Ozone can break down the chemical bonds that create odor, but it is not stuff you want to be breathing in at all. It is a highly unstable element and takes away odor by pretty much vaporizing what small particles it comes in contact with….so you can imagine what it would do if you breathed it in.

My Dad works in environmental clean up of ground water, particularly from old gas stations. One of the methods is to pump ozone into the ground in order to break up the hazardous material. So that gives a little idea of what it can do.

This is all true. Ozone can break down the chemical bonds that create odor, but it is not stuff you want to be breathing in at all. It is a highly unstable element and takes away odor by pretty much vaporizing what small particles it comes in contact with….so you can imagine what it would do if you breathed it in.

My Dad works in environmental clean up of ground water, particularly from old gas stations. One of the methods is to pump ozone into the ground in order to break up the hazardous material. So that gives a little idea of what it can do.

Some places will allow you to rent ozone machines (the big rent-a-tool places sometimes have them), so you don’t have to know someone to get your hands on one. They help with all sorts of stinks, including heavy cigarette smoke and pet urine. But as others have said, not one living thing can stay in that house/room while you’re using them. They’re definitely a “read the directions and follow them precisely” kind of tool.

Let us know how it works out, Scathach!

Scathach
                          Participant

So far, the “airing” and charcoal in a paper bag seem to be working. It’s slow, though. (Or, I’m impatient) 🙂

As of Feb 11/12, most of the smell is gone.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Life is beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.