Gemstone question?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Gemstone question?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’ve been haunting evilBay lately since I got my Uni pyo. I’d like to know which stones are better for the pyo’s in general: foil backed or not foil backed?

I’ve found a couple of *very* promising places, and let’s just say that I might have gemstones for life. πŸ˜€ I’m pretty sure there will be far more stones than I’ll ever be able to use, so I might be interested in sharing them if anyone is interested. πŸ˜‰

Bodine
    Participant

tasgrs wrote:

I’ve been haunting evilBay lately since I got my Uni pyo. I’d like to know which stones are better for the pyo’s in general: foil backed or not foil backed?

I’ve found a couple of *very* promising places, and let’s just say that I might have gemstones for life. πŸ˜€ I’m pretty sure there will be far more stones than I’ll ever be able to use, so I might be interested in sharing them if anyone is interested. πŸ˜‰
      yep πŸ™‚

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

bayoudragon
      Participant

I use foil-backed, however I just ordered some without to try. So I don’t know yet. πŸ™‚

I guess I’m no help. LOL! 😈

The place I found was offering “vintage” crystals both with and w/o the foil backing. The price difference wasn’t a whole lot; maybe a dollar or two. I’m tempted to pick up a package of each, but I think that might be just a bit of overkill. πŸ˜€
        But I figured that if I grab something that has the size range for *all* the pyo’s, then it would be well worth the hours of sifting through all those eBay sites. hehehe 8)

What is the purpose of the foil backing? Is it supposed to make the stone reflect better?
        BD, let me know what you find when you get the no foil stones, please?
        Thanks!

Adaneth
        Participant

tasgrs wrote:

What is the purpose of the foil backing? Is it supposed to make the stone reflect better?
          BD, let me know what you find when you get the no foil stones, please?
          Thanks!

Yep, foil backed stones are more ‘sparkly’! πŸ™‚

Thanks, Adaneth! I figured that might be the case. I just pulled out the blank dragon pyo I have on hand to see which ones come with the sculptures. They’re backed, too.

I was also looking at the dragon closely for the first time since I got it, and I think there are a couple of other places that could take stones besides the ones that were listed in the gemstone thread. I was thinking that I might be able to put some different shaped stones as well as some rounds. :scratch:

This led me to yet another question: How many of you have added stones of other shapes besides round to any of the pyo’s, and if so, how’d did it work out?

I love using oval foil backed glass cabs on the Egyptian Griffins. There are alot of amazing stones on ebay! Sandwitch and Warlock is one of my favorites on ebay to buy stones from (They carry the most foil flatback cabs and the quality I think is unsurpassed. The largest stones I got were 8mmx10mm. A little big for PYO’s, so I would say stick with the smaller 4×6 or even some of the rounds are quite pretty!). I have picked up two of those huge 1000 stone lots from another lady on there ($5.00 plus shipping!), and it came with so many sizes of pointed back rhinestones, I should have enough Amethyst and Blue Zircon ones for many Unicorns to come…I want to get some white or clear ones too. I prefer pointed back facet rhinestones, they have so much more brilliance to the stones. Plus, I have been working with rhinestones since I was about 8. Which was old enough not to loose them all over the floor! (Which I still do, I am sure there was atleast 8 the last time I put some in a Unicorn that hit the floor and were never found)
          Honestly, I figure if a stone snugs up to the sculpt and it looks good there, they can go anywhere on the entire thing. πŸ˜‰ I just don’t put enough to make it look tacky. πŸ˜†
          Fire dims are also good, but the quality is not as high when it comes to Rhinestones…IMO. πŸ˜€

I was looking at those huge lots, too. I’m curious about the “Navette” shape; anyone know how deep they are, and how small they come? I have an idea for one of my PYO’s and that is the shape I was considering……

WSC, can you PM or email me with the addy’s for your favorite ebay stores? I think I spent like over 3 hours last night sifting through stone sites; my eyes were crossing. πŸ˜€ I was thinking about different cabs, too. Thanks for the size tip!
          This will be my first time working with stones, so I don’t know what to expect. Thankfully, I see well up close without my glasses. 😈 That ought to help.

bayoudragon
          Participant

If you also PM them to me, I will put them at the top of the gemstone sticky thread. πŸ™‚ I don’t think there is anything against doing that? :scratch:

Or, I could just post the links to the store I use most often on ebay. They are really very nice there! And usually I buy maybe 3 or 4 lots at a time, and get a little bag of free stones. I’ve ordered more by getting those stones. Oh, and for a size comparison, the ruby colored stones on the chest of Anubis are 4x6mm and are also from the store I will post a link for. πŸ˜€ (I’ll also come back here and post it here for ease of finding it. πŸ˜‰ )

Ok, here it is! πŸ™‚
            http://stores.ebay.com/SandWitch-and-Warlock

Anybody ever try this place? I just spent some quality time perusing their store. Lots of pretty cool stuff! I’m seriously eyeing a few goodies, but thought I’d ask if anyone’s bought from them first. πŸ˜€
            http://stores.ebay.com/skyjems

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.