fbpx

Gargoyle paint?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Gargoyle paint?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Well, oh holy crap, I finally found a Windstone hubby thinks is awesome, and he’s totally behind me pursuing this one. I’m actually kind of stunned–he’s not restrictive on how I spend, but he’s had little to no interest in any of the pieces I’ve brought home so far. Show him a pic of a weird gargoyle and he’s all over it. LOL

Assuming I can even get it: The catch is, it’s a gargoyle with a few deep chips (looks like about an inch or so each) and also what looks like a bit of scraped paint on the nose. Thanks to the tutorials and discussions on here about using Apoxie sculpt, I’m reasonably certain I can manage that side of the repair, but the paint has me stumped.

Is this a paint to request from the factory, or is there an off the shelf product that seems to work reasonably well? Or is this a “Nooooooooooo! Don’t even think about it! Give it to a good repairer!” situation? 🙂

Any help is welcome!

Michelle
    Participant

I second this request for info! I have a gargoyle that needs some minor repairs and the only thing I’m worrying about is matching the paint color. Good luck with your repair, though!

Christine
      Participant

I’m working on a Cat Gargoyle repair right now. It’s actually pretty simple to match!

Resculpt and sand the area, get it ready to paint. Then start with a light beige. Take a look at other areas of the sculpture where the antiquing is less heavy, to get an idea of the exact beige you need to mix.

Once the undercoat of beige is applied and has dried completely, antique it to match the surrounding areas. I’ve been using a mixture of Burnt Sienna and Mars Black, about half-and-half I’d say, and have gotten really good results. Antiquing it to match the factory’s level of skill takes a lot of careful blending though, so go slow and be patient.

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

I have to agree completely with the above, the gargoyles are by far the easiest stuff to paint match yourself. Just a grab bag of browns and blacks and rusts mixed appropriately will usually do the trick. You’ll end up with a couple of colors, but that’s what you want. Once you antique it, it blends in great ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

siberakh1
          Participant

The gargoyles are the easiest to match yourself. Might take some trial and error, but not too hard. I’ve touched up gargoyle bits before. Depends on the batch too. I have two of the paper cats (the cat with its rear end sticking out of a paper bag). The paper bag on both were both a different shade and the vial of paint I got from Windstone to fix him up was a third shade (but closer to one of them… I rescued them from a store that was closing that didn’t sell windstones, but had these two guys for super cheap). Fixed them up quite nicely though. Just took some trial and error to paint match, but wasn’t too bad at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.