Future Pebble Critters and Felt Pads

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Future Pebble Critters and Felt Pads

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Skylover
    Participant

Hi Melody!

I just wanted to ask if all the future pebble animals would have felt pads? I know they cover up a somewhat messy bottom since they are difficult to paint, but one of the things that I love most about the pebbles is how it feels to touch and hold them. I feel like it wouldn’t be the same if they all had felt pads. So, I’m just curious what the plan is. Thank you!

dragonmedley
      Participant

I think Melody said they would all have felt pads.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Melody
        Keymaster

Hi Melody!

I just wanted to ask if all the future pebble animals would have felt pads? I know they cover up a somewhat messy bottom since they are difficult to paint, but one of the things that I love most about the pebbles is how it feels to touch and hold them. I feel like it wouldn’t be the same if they all had felt pads. So, I’m just curious what the plan is. Thank you!

There has been some discussion around here about this.
          I don’t know what to do.
          I prefer them without pads, but they are still nearly impossible to paint while keeping the bottoms at all presentable, even with this “no nitpicking” edition and the new technique we have of holding them, I spent a lot of time just painting and repainting the bottoms.
          We might use the other pad material, the stuff we put on the bookend bottoms. It is thinner than the felt pads and feels slick, not rough.

We are also talking about trying the original idea of having them polished with wax instead of painted, the way they were intended to be finished.
          We couldn’t give them a polish finish when the pebbles were first introduced because the castings weren’t coming out nice enough.
          They would be white, with grey flecks from the sand in the gypsum, like the Maya Hill pieces. These would be “feelies”, with no pads. They feel realllly nice!

Leigha
          Participant

We are also talking about trying the original idea of having them polished with wax instead of painted, the way they were intended to be finished.
            We couldn’t give them a polish finish when the pebbles were first introduced because the castings weren’t coming out nice enough.
            They would be white, with grey flecks from the sand in the gypsum, like the Maya Hill pieces. These would be “feelies”, with no pads. They feel realllly nice!

I love this idea. I have a small stone piece, and I love holding it. I’d love to be able to hold my pebble animals too without worry.

Pam

I really like the idea of them being finished like Mayas 🙂

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Hi Melody!

I don’t know what to do.
                I prefer them without pads, but they are still nearly impossible to paint while keeping the bottoms at all presentable, even with this “no nitpicking” edition and the new technique we have of holding them, I spent a lot of time just painting and repainting the bottoms.
                We might use the other pad material, the stuff we put on the bookend bottoms. It is thinner than the felt pads and feels slick, not rough.

This is my favorite. Do this, if you can.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Adaneth
                Participant

I like the idea of the white “feelies” I hope you do some like that!

Landipan
                  Participant

This ‘feelies’ idea sounds neat, I can’t wait to see it implemented!

*Formerly meowmix101
                    Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Lokie
                    Participant

Since you are all still discussing it, I guess that means it’ll be a while before we see any pebble foxes released (whether padded and painted or waxed)?

Kelsey
                      Participant

I hope they still come out in colored or painted versions also. I can’t help it I am a person who likes colorful things. I don’t really care if they have pads or not.

Scathach
                        Participant

I really like the idea of them being finished like Mayas 🙂

^^^ Yep! Got my vote.

Still like the colours, though, too.

There’s a softness to the pebbles without the felt pad that is especially appealing. I understand about the pads, though to cover their oopses.

They are permanently on my wish list. Any pebble, any colour, and any time.

Life is beautiful.

Skylover
                          Participant

Hi Melody!

I don’t know what to do.

I love the idea of the “feelies”. I’d love to have a set that I can hold and touch all I want without having to worry about paint rubbing off. Thank you for the response!

KaytanaPhoenix
                            Participant

All of mine will always live on a shelf, so I am beyond happy with painted ones with pads! Even if the “feelies” are made, please paint them too?? I prefer pads, actually… keeps me from needing to worry much about them on the shelves.. my Fennec sits on a rabbit fur so he doesn’t unintentionally travel from my bumping the desk

Melody
                              Keymaster

Since you are all still discussing it, I guess that means it’ll be a while before we see any pebble foxes released (whether padded and painted or waxed)?

No, we’ve got new batches of pebble foxes coming along nicely.It won’t be too long. I’ve been doing test paints of the Bat eared fox, red fox and Arctic fox, wolves AND pebble cats. I have been practising on old castings that were left over from the first attempt to cast these, about four years ago!
                                We are casting more wolves too (those did have pads when I painted them before). We haven’t tried to cast the to- be-waxed variety ( they are made with a different mix of gypsum) They may or may not work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.