fbpx

Frustrated cross stitcher

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Frustrated cross stitcher

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

I just noticed that the cross-stitch project that I have been working on for a few months now isn’t centered properly. *Banging head against the wall* When I marked the left-to-right center line I used the wrong marks on the fabric so it’s too far to the left. Normally this wouldn’t matter too much, but since this pattern is on a printed background it does. Now I have to decide if I have enough thread (and patience) to go through and take out all those stitches. I wish I had realized this so much sooner rather than this far along. I would say I’m about 3/5 of the way through with it.

This is the project that I was working on. The large purple and blue butterfly in the top left (and the entire project) is about an inch farther to the left in mine. The only butterfly I haven’t done yet is the orange one behind him. *Banging head against the wall*

I knew things were going too well with it. Aw well, this is part of the reason I use a yellow highlighter to mark off my stitches. It means I can photocopy the chart (to use again later) without the highlighter showing up.

I was intending this to be a present for my mother in law.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Jodi
        Participant

Sorry, but if it’s a present, it should probably be redone.

Pegasi1978
          Participant

I’m thinking I probably will. Here’s the picture of when I got before I realized the error.

Bob

I do not know how to do it so I’m not sure how difficult it woudl be??

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Taking out the stitches won’t be that hard, just time consuming and tedious. To date I probably have 24 hours or more doing the stitches that are currently done.

Bob

Well if it was me I would have to because it would bug me for hte rest of my life

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

Oh I’ve already started removing stitches. An error this big would annoy the heck out of me. Most of the faint green leaves on the left side are gone now. Fortunately I’m a neat stitcher so I’ll be able to reuse some of the thread that I am pulling out. If it werent for having to tuck the tail of the thread under to anchor it in place (rather than tying knots) you would be hard pressed to tell the back of on of my projects from the front.

Maria
                    Participant

Sorry you have to redo it, Pegasi, but I have to say, it looks nice!

lamortefille
                      Participant

I’m frustrated just hearing about it….all of your hard work and to have to redo it. 😑 Good luck!

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

YIKES! 😯 I know about undoing stitches… it’s a pain in the you know where πŸ‘Ώ Hopefully you’ve got enough floss to redo the project. Have you noticed that the floss used in the kits lately don’t seem to be up to quality? I’ve had a heck of a time with it snarling, knotting up and just plain breaking. I hope that is not the case with you. It’s going to be lovely! Hang in there πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

Stephanie
                          Participant

That is the reason I do NOT cross stitch!

I wish you LOTS of luck!!!

Pegasi1978
                            Participant

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I’ve made goofs before when cross stitching, just never one this big.

twindragonsmum wrote:

YIKES! 😯 I know about undoing stitches… it’s a pain in the you know where πŸ‘Ώ Hopefully you’ve got enough floss to redo the project. Have you noticed that the floss used in the kits lately don’t seem to be up to quality? I’ve had a heck of a time with it snarling, knotting up and just plain breaking. I hope that is not the case with you. It’s going to be lovely! Hang in there πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum
                              I have noticed that the thread lately in kits and in skeins seems to be lacking in quality. As I take out my stitches I am trying to be careful not to snag the thread or let it knot up so I can hopefully salvage it to reuse it. If I do get short on thread I can either write the company to get some more thread or try to match it with thread I have left over from other projects or thread available in the store. I typically have some thread left over when I complete a project and I have a hard time throwing it out because you never know when you may need that color again.

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I’ve made goofs before when cross stitching, just never one this big.

twindragonsmum wrote:

twindragonsmum
                                I have noticed that the thread lately in kits and in skeins seems to be lacking in quality. As I take out my stitches I am trying to be careful not to snag the thread or let it knot up so I can hopefully salvage it to reuse it. If I do get short on thread I can either write the company to get some more thread or try to match it with thread I have left over from other projects or thread available in the store. I typically have some thread left over when I complete a project and I have a hard time throwing it out because you never know when you may need that color again.

I never thought of writing to the company…. I’ve always tried to match it at the store 😯 and that can be very frustrating! I find that DMC brand is probably the best out there for staying smooth and untangled. I’ve also found a needlework shop in Idaho Falls that offers hand spun, hand dyed fibers that are really pretty good. It’s just a pain to have to drive 2 and a part hours to get there.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Pegasi1978
                                Participant

If you look in the instructions there is often a note that says if you run out of thread to let them know and they will send you some. I’ve never bothered with it before, because I’ve always had enough thread. DMC brand thread is the ONLY brand I buy in the store. I’ve heard too many horror stories of Anchor thread bleeding when cleaning a project after finishing to be willing to try it. Of course I use what ever thread comes in the kits. I don’t have a needlework shop anywhere near me. My husband and I did make a trek to one about 2 hours away from his parents house so I could get some specialty thread to go with a pattern I would like to do some day. Just have to finish the other projects in line first. πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.