Found a Cockatiel more PICs ADDED.

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Found a Cockatiel more PICs ADDED.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

Ooh, another girl!! Poor Justin and Bacchus are so outnumbered!!! I had JUST gotten pics of the tail and was about to load it up. A girl!!! Haha! Thank you for all your help. You guys are invaluable.

She had another night fright this morning. Poor thing. Thats pretty sad. Thanks again for all the info. I still hope the owner finds her. πŸ™‚

megamibabe16
      Participant

What a beautiful Cockatiel. She is so healthy and friendly looking. My mom has a Cockatiel as well. His name is Butterfly, she named him not me, and he is getting along. I am not sure how old he is, but I know he does not like strangers. Even when he was young, he would bite and hiss at anyone he didn’t know. He has vanity issues too, absolutely loves looking in the mirror and looking at himself.

Jennifer wrote:

Oh it’s a pied- pearl! That means it’s a lady. Males loose their pearling when they hit maturity. You have a she! There’s no lutino in that bird. πŸ™‚

Just a note of caution about people food… a lot of our food has sugar, fat, or salt in it, which is NOT good for birds. Also stay away from anything with lactose (cheese pizza.. ) because birds lack the digestive elements that mammals do that allows them to process lactose. Fat and salt in particular are harmful for birds and cockatiels can be prone to fatty liver disease. Also never feed anything with chocolate, caffiene, and never ever feed avocado! Avocado is toxic to most parrots. They have an allergic reaction and can die within hours, it’s scary.
        I knew about the avocado, caffeine, and chocolate, but have been a bit scatterbrained so forgot it. 😳
        Now, that is funny because Sid is Mom’s 25+ yr old Teil and he’s been eating pepperoni pizza since he was first bought by the lady who owned him. When she passed away, mom inheireted him. He’s the one who “smacks his lips” whenever mom walks in with a pizza box! It’s so cute cuz he gets to the edge of the table, in his old man shuffle steps and rocks side to side until she tears off a piece and gives it to him. If she sits to eat, he will get right on her plate walk all over her pizza and help himself to what he considers the tastiest morsels of her current piece. XD She mostly gives him crust, but it usually has a little of everything on it, and the other lady jsut gave him a piece of his own when she ate.
        Also, my mom’s Timneh African Grey also loves my mom’s favorite drink, Pepsi…Caffeine free of course. She’s not allowed to have caffeine anyway. πŸ˜‰

Skigod377
        Participant

No one has claimed this pretty girl, and if it stays that way, Sunday evening I will be finding her a new home. She needs attention and a house where she can be let out without worrying about 3 cats and 2 dogs that would like to eat her.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

skigod377 wrote:

No one has claimed this pretty girl, and if it stays that way, Sunday evening I will be finding her a new home. She needs attention and a house where she can be let out without worrying about 3 cats and 2 dogs that would like to eat her.

How sad! Ski if you were closer somehow I’d pick her up. Might I suggest- if you run an ad that you ask for a small adoption fee? In the $25-55 range. This may seem strange, but I cannot tell you how people will come out of the woodwork to get a ‘free bird’ and then treat it as a disposable pet because it didn’t cost them anything (no investment often sets up the mentality of ‘$70 for a vet visit, no way, this bird didn’t cost me anything. $8 for the better type of food? No way this bird didn’t cost me anything’). It’s really sad but I saw it SO frequently when I was working at pet shops. ‘Cheap’ or free pets were often treated with far less care than those that cost more– regardless of the animal’s intelligence or level of need! This is a very common mentality for people sadly. This way someone will really want the bird if they are willing to pay an adoption fee. Then if you meet them and they seem like good people, you can always waive the fee… This is what I did once when I was adopting out some budgies. The people I met that wanted them already had a huge cage picked out and all these toys and books.. I could tell they really cared about the birds. They started getting out the adoption fee and I wouldn’t let them pay. I let them know that it was just to make sure that the birds went to someone like them. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Skigod377
            Participant

I know what you mean about treating something better when you have to pay for it, but I already told this guy he could come and get it on Sunday if he still wanted it. I would not be able to ask him for money now. I did ask a lot of questions. He has 3 others that he is trying to tame and he says he lets his birds loose around the house often. He has no dogs, but he does have a cat that he puts out when its time for the birds to be let out. I can only hope he is telling the truth, though truthfully, I didnt like the way it sounded… there is another lady who lost two of hers on New Years and she sounded nice, but she has 13 others. Who would be the better home, do you think? I could tell the bird guy that I found her owner and give it to this other lady, but isnt 13 birds a lot? And what is she doing with so many? Does she have time for them all? I could use some advice because I want her to have a good home. If Paul was more receptive, I would keep her, but he is not happy about it being in the house. Cant say I blame him… πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
              Participant

I know some rescue organizations ask to be shown your house. Maybe you could do the same? Check out both places and see which one resonates best with you.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jennifer
                Keymaster

13 parrots is a lot. I cannot imagine spending $60+ /each/year for vet check ups, not to mention food, toys, and attention. My parrots cost me at least 55 bucks a month not including vet visits and I only have three! It’s one thing to have 13 aviary birds that live in a large flight, but 13 birds that all (or at least some, like the bird you have Ski) will need attention. If they are all the same species, does she make sure they don’t breed? Breeding cockatiels without knowing their genetic history is just as bad as breeding dogs without knowing their genetics.. can result in offspring with serious medical flaws, behavior problem tendencies, egg biding genetics, etc. It just sets off warning bells to me, without knowing the situation better. She might be a good owner, especially if she is financially set for it and has a lot of room for the birds, but I’d be wary till I found out more.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Skigod377
                  Participant

I really wish I knew someone who wanted one. I dont want her to be some breeding bird. πŸ™ I think I will send her to a rescue… they can do the home checks!! πŸ˜€ Im going to go see what we have here on Island.

Skigod377
                    Participant

Well, as sad as I was to see her go, I ended up giving her to animal control. There was no chip. They will take her to the HS tomorrow and the HS can worry about finding her a new home. I didnt want to have to choose. I didnt like the feel of either of them. I think someone who gets one from the HS will be more likely to want it for a pet.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Well, as sad as I was to see her go, I ended up giving her to animal control. There was no chip. They will take her to the HS tomorrow and the HS can worry about finding her a new home. I didnt want to have to choose. I didnt like the feel of either of them. I think someone who gets one from the HS will be more likely to want it for a pet.

Then it was the best solution, especially if neither of these people felt right. I’m sure they’ll find her a good place!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.