fbpx

For those that were/are missing PM notifications

Home Forums Windstone Editions Announcements For those that were/are missing PM notifications

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

From Snap:

Quote:

In addition to the problems of Yahoo email, know that everyone’s
        notifications were delayed this weekend due to software upgrades that were
        being done on the actual email and web daemons. It appears that one mail
        daemon did not properly restart and therefore all email queued on the server
        with nowhere to go as that daemon handles the “oh I’m going to put you in
        this box”. So, you probably woke up on Sunday morning and had twenty
        notifications in your email.

While on the topic of notifications..

…if you don’t receive notifications for PM’s and you normally do, remember
        that your PM box has a finite limit of 100 messages. If someone sends you a
        PM and your box is full, it’s not going anywhere until you delete some
        messages from your Inbox. If PM’s in your Inbox are no longer of value,
        please delete them.

…if you don’t receive notifications for topic replies, there is a link on
        the main page that allows you to view your list of currently watched topics.
        Check if the topic is on the list, and while you’re there, remove stale
        topics that are no longer of interest.

Every little bit you do in this department helps when it comes time to prune
        the forum. Being a younger forum, the database size and overhead is not an
        issue – yet – but the good habits you create now will help when the forum is
        five years old, has 5 million records in the database, and needs a manual
        reconciliation. As an example we take forums at neons.org offline for two
        days every February for this very reason.

It’s not a perfect system, please keep that in mind if you don’t receive a
        notification. Think of it like your cell phone — if you got 0% dropped call
        rate, you’d be paying a lot more than $20 a month for it.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.