fbpx

FISH!

Home Forums Miscellany Community FISH!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

…I smell fish.

…or maybe it’s just me…

(freeze branding rainbow trout)

…or maybe it is the fish after all!

Definitely the fish!

GO EAGLE LAKE RAINBOW TROUT!

…my job is so cool.

Dark Zorse – California Department of Fish and Game.

“Silly boys! Trucks are for girls!”
    [/i]

mmmmm Rainbow trout πŸ˜†

My daughter used to put that quote up all the time-“Silly boys! Trucks are for girls!” πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Leigha
    Participant

πŸ˜€

My brother wanted to work for the department of fish and game for the longest time. He still wants to be a park ranger or something.

How’d you get into that Zorse?

Those trout are beautiful

My dad’s a fisherman, he’d love to be there 😈

Maria
      Participant

Zorse! Nice to see you again.
        Great photos; you have such a cool job.

Purplecat
        Participant

I like the pic with the trout! very neat! πŸ™‚

lamortefille
          Participant

Great pix! It must be nice to love your job! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
            Participant

Yeah, working with nature is so cool! You are the lucky one!

Oh my goodness–what kind of fish are the orange ones? Are those rainbow trout too? I don’t know much about fish, but I’m curious about that bright blue one with all the orange around it…

Haha, by the way… If you took the pictures out, your post would almost read like some kind of awesome freestyle poem. πŸ˜€

Chessapeaka wrote:

Oh my goodness–what kind of fish are the orange ones? Are those rainbow trout too? I don’t know much about fish, but I’m curious about that bright blue one with all the orange around it…

Haha, by the way… If you took the pictures out, your post would almost read like some kind of awesome freestyle poem. πŸ˜€

Yep, those are albino rainbow trout, we call them golden trout here. Not sure about the blue one, could just be a normal colored trout that just looks odd amidst the goldens.

The albinos look cool though, too bad at my work they are considered Grade 2, since they aren’t the right color.

Kyrin

Leigha wrote:

πŸ˜€

My brother wanted to work for the department of fish and game for the longest time. He still wants to be a park ranger or something.

How did I get into it?

Well. First was a hell of a lot of luck. Second was going to school for wildlife biology. Third was a very helpful Forest Service person that put it out there that there was a wildlife biologist for hire with lots of qualifications and field experience. Throw in a job-bid war, and wha-BAM! Hired by the Department of Fish and Game. Personally, I am having a BLAST working for them. πŸ˜€

The orange-ish fish are a rare strain of Pit River albino rainbow trout. These are commonly mistaken for golden trout, but they are unique to this run of rainbow trout. The blue fish you see in there is not a mistake – it’s really blue. The darker fish in there are the normal colored trout. This blue-ish trout is also a very rare strain of trout – a color aberration that shows up rarely in trout populations. Because they are genetic mutants, they aren’t really called anything but “blue trout” – and as a result of their genes, are often stunted, or malformed (as those are).

Dark Zorse – Professional fish wrangler, California Department of Fish and Game.

dark_zorse wrote:

Leigha wrote:

πŸ˜€

How did I get into it?

Well. First was a hell of a lot of luck. Second was going to school for wildlife biology. Third was a very helpful Forest Service person that put it out there that there was a wildlife biologist for hire with lots of qualifications and field experience. Throw in a job-bid war, and wha-BAM! Hired by the Department of Fish and Game. Personally, I am having a BLAST working for them. πŸ˜€

The orange-ish fish are a rare strain of Pit River albino rainbow trout. These are commonly mistaken for golden trout, but they are unique to this run of rainbow trout. The blue fish you see in there is not a mistake – it’s really blue. The darker fish in there are the normal colored trout. This blue-ish trout is also a very rare strain of trout – a color aberration that shows up rarely in trout populations. Because they are genetic mutants, they aren’t really called anything but “blue trout” – and as a result of their genes, are often stunted, or malformed (as those are).

Dark Zorse – Professional fish wrangler, California Department of Fish and Game.

Cool, on the gold colored trout. I’ve had the occassional blue trout show up in my kill bin, they sure are pretty, and really blue…most of the ones I’ve run across have been normal physically except for the color though.

I see about a million trout a day of varying sizes, most of them I am picking up and stuffing into this neat machine that cuts them open, sucks out the guts, cleans the blood line and dumps them out all clean and ready to fillet. I think your job would definately be more fun!

I would love to get that kind of break, I have a BS degree in Ag Science, thus far it hasn’t gotten me much. Just a nice big student loan.

Kyrin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.