fbpx

Filling in body of PYO?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Filling in body of PYO?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Amanda
    Participant

Amanda
      Participant

Hey guys, I just got my Keeper in the mail today and he’s gorgeous (and I’m scared to death to paint him ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ) but on his belly area there two small holes-air bubbles in the mold I’d guess? Anyway, is there something I can get at Walmart that would fill those in before painting? I’m heading there this afternoon ๐Ÿ™‚

On a side note-I got a kick out of how my gem and eyes arrived….

They came out of the box exactly like that, the staple looks like a little smile (ok, prehaps I’m a bit strange-lol)

frozendragon
        Participant

how funny.. plaster of paris would work.. I got some porcelain clay at hobby lobby, they have it at michaels too.. it air dries as hard as porcelain..

Amanda
          Participant

Ok, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll see if I can find one of those!

frozendragon
            Participant

no prob.. if not I’ve got plenty of other things I’ve used..

dragonmedley
              Participant

If the bubble holes are big enough to need filling in, maybe you should contact Susie about it first.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kujacker
                Participant

Perhaps that stuff you use on walls to fill tack holes before painting? Not sure if it would work, but that’s the only thing that comes to mind.
                  But how big are they? Are they small and not very noticeable? I’d just paint it as is if they aren’t really noticeable. I’d question if they’re any bigger!

Face!

Amanda
                  Participant

Ah, should have done this before but I couldn’t figure out how to turn the flash on my camera off. Still don’t know how-I apparently did it by accident ๐Ÿ™„ Anyway! As you can see they are pretty small, I just thought it would be nice to fill them in. I can just ignore them and call them ‘battle scars’ if I don’t find something to use ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks everyone for your help!

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

Seeing how small those are I’d say plaster of paris should work very well.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

You could also ask for an exchange, I think.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Amanda
                        Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

You could also ask for an exchange, I think.

Oh no they aren’t very big, I wouldn’t want to trade him in just because of a little imperfection. ๐Ÿ˜ณ Just thought I might try and repair him.

frozendragon
                          Participant

yeah I wouldn’t want to wait for another one either.. but do send Susie an email with the pic.. it is something that they will want to see..

and plaster of paris will work fine to fix those.. when you mix it, mix it a bit thicker than normal.. make sure you get it all mixed and not lumpy.. then just put it on with your finger to make sure you get it all in and then after it dries you can shape it however you need to

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Just to let you know, those are flaws, and you can exchange him for another. Windstone takes great pride in quality, and if there is ever a problem like this you can email or call them and they will work with you!

(That said, I understand wanting to keep him. Sometimes I get one that has a tiny flaw and I just fix it too instead of messing with returning it!)

Unofficial answer (though I have done this myself):
                              Plaster of Paris will work perfectly and will blend in both texture and absorbency wise, so the paint will ‘stick’ to those areas the same as it sticks to the surrounding areas. I’d mix it according to directions, apply it, let it fully dry (at least 24-48 hours), then sand it down flush. Wipe off any extra dust and you are set to paint!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Amanda
                              Participant

Thanks Jennifer and Frozen, I think I will pop on ebay and get a little plaster of paris, glad to hear that the paint will take too it-I hadn’t even considered that.

As for exchanges (and I know I’m going to sound strange here….) when I look at a Windstone they are so lifelike that I start thinking of them having their own personalities-I wouldn’t feel right boxing my boy back up over an itty bitty flaw ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Xtharsa
                                Participant

what type of plaster does she use because different plasters accecpt paint differently I’ve tried to repair castings made in hydro-cal with red tag and it looks very different in the repaired places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.